New rules for training footballers (Youth Teams)

12-new-Rules-from-The-FA-regarding-Youth-Football.jpg

In other news.. here's the latest youth training rules and no this isn't' a wind up

Silent sidelines rule 
Spectators are encouraged to applaud both teams (e.g.. clap when a goal is scored) but must not shot or call out. [Law 1]

-Slide tackle rule 
On medical advice, no slide tackles are allowed. A free kick will be given in every instance. [Law 12]

-Blue card rule 
A blue card is shown for any cautionable offence resulting in a 2 minute Sin Bin (5 minutes at 9v9). [Law 12].

-Respect marks rule 
After every match, referees will marks to players, coaches and spectators from both teams. [Law 12]

-Retreat line rule 
When goalkeeper has possession, opposition must retreat to halfway. Keeper must pass to own player in own half. [Law 16]

-Pass back rule 
Because goalkeepers need to practice their footwork, they cannot pick up the ball from a pass back. [Law 12]

-No instructions rule 
Coaches may ask questions that prompt players to think for themselves but must not shout instructions during matches. [Law 1]

-Equal playing time rule 
All squad members must receive equal playing time with at least 50% per player for each game. [Law 3]

-All positions rule 
All squad members must be given regular experience playing in all positions, including goalkeeper. [Law 3]

-Mixed teams rule 
To maximise competition, clubs must field teams of similar ability - ie. not ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams. [Law 3]

-Power play rule 
If any team goes 4 goals ahead, the other team may field an extra player until the goal difference is reduced to 3 goals. [Law 3]

-Equal numbers rule 
If a team has too few players, the other must lend them willing subs or withdraw players to make hungers even. [Law 3]

Not sure how long this will take to flush through to the Sheffield Wednesday teams but gotta say some of these rules look ridiculous on first glance

Owlstalk Shop

How well have the people introducing the rules looked into this? I ask the question because I presume a lot of individuals will have looked at the proposals and discussed them at length but not one person has looked closely enough to spot the spelling mistake of 'practice' instead of the correct 'practise'. If they can't even get that right when planning for improvements for our youngsters it doesn't fill me with great confidence.

Some really good ideas there.  Note that it's for junior football, so will apply for really young kids on the whole.  Can't see the silent sideline rule being observed though!

5 minutes ago, wilfsmith said:

How well have the people introducing the rules looked into this? I ask the question because I presume a lot of individuals will have looked at the proposals and discussed them at length but not one person has looked closely enough to spot the spelling mistake of 'practice' instead of the correct 'practise'. If they can't even get that right when planning for improvements for our youngsters it doesn't fill me with great confidence.

Most people rely on spell checkers for their proofing these days.  Usually with English (United States) as the default.

Edited by oz_owl
meh

3 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

Microsoft spell check without choosing English (United Kingdom) first?  

Mmmmm, I guess so. Unfortunately, spell checkers find it difficult to decide if the word in question is being used as a verb (practise) as in this example or as a noun (practice). The irony is that the 10 and 11 year olds for whom the rules apply are taught this sort of grammar in great detail as part of their KS2 SATs (poor things).

1 hour ago, wilfsmith said:

That's not as bad as this;

Equal numbers rule 
If a team has too few players, the other must lend them willing subs or withdraw players to make hungers even. [Law 3]

A little misleading this thread.

This is the Manchester respect league, which is a bit of a soft touch league for teams that have very little to no competitive experience.  Once they are used to playing other teams they move to the East Manchester or Stockport Metro leagus which are played with the usual rules we all understand.

My son changed teams in the middle of last season and ended up playing in this for a couple of months.  It was the strangest thing ever for my son getting used to retreating when the keeper had the ball and not to mention not being able to tackle, as he had played in the normal league from being 5 years old.