New rules for training footballers (Youth Teams)

I've coached U7s to U11s teams for years in the Sheffield Junior League and most of these are already in place. 

Only one I disagree with is slide tackling. It's still a technique and a useful tool for young players to learn. Not sure on strength of medical advice. If that's the case I'd have thought the "over head height" rule would have been enforced first to avoid head to head contacts and repeated heading. 

These are very similar to the junior football rules here in Australia.

They are aimed at encouraging time on the ball which is the most important thing from age 5 til 9.

Some of you are the kind of people these rules were designed to stop.

Play long ball to the big kid and win games awesome!! Yeah win the ball, knee and ankle injuries are just part of the game!!

Seriously.

8 hours ago, HirstIsGod said:

Like others have said this is for goal kicks when the ball had gone out of play. The respect league also retreat whenever the keeper has the ball in their hands.

Retreat exists in the east Manchester league my son plays in but only for goal kicks and up to U9 ish. For reasons already mentioned by others this isn't a bad idea.

Who does your son play for mate? 

My lad has been playing in the East Manchester JFL since starting in the U8's when his team were U7's. Now in the U12's with Hazel Grove. 

21 hours ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

Which rules do you think are ridiculous? 

Silent sidelines.

No coaching instructions.

All players must rotate through all positions, including GK.

Oppo players must retreat to the half way line when the GK has possession.

No slide tackling.

3 hours ago, eugene said:

Who does your son play for mate? 

My lad has been playing in the East Manchester JFL since starting in the U8's when his team were U7's. Now in the U12's with Hazel Grove. 

He plays for Reddish North End now and used to play for AFC Stanley based in Hyde.  He is U11s now and started playing at U6.

My daughter has just started playing in the Manchester Respect League for Reddish North End too.  She is playing a year down for the U8s as she had never kicked a ball in anger until a month or so ago. Another quirk of the respect league that girls can do that.

4 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Silent sidelines.

No coaching instructions.

All players must rotate through all positions, including GK.

Oppo players must retreat to the half way line when the GK has possession.

No slide tackling.

I'm a young coach that has done plenty of volunteer work around the FA. I have followed and encouraged quite a few of these rules in my teams. 

If you disagree with these then i'd be happy to give you a justification as to why they are in place!

2 hours ago, HirstIsGod said:

He plays for Reddish North End now and used to play for AFC Stanley based in Hyde.  He is U11s now and started playing at U6.

My daughter has just started playing in the Manchester Respect League for Reddish North End too.  She is playing a year down for the U8s as she had never kicked a ball in anger until a month or so ago. Another quirk of the respect league that girls can do that.

Good stuff ... I lose track of all the Reddish teams. North End play in Blue and Yellow and have their own home facility? If so, we played them there in a pre-season friendly before last season, nice little set up with a decent 4G astro pitch!

Respect league at Burnage Rugby club or down in Wythenshawe? 

The U12's are at Wright Robbie every week this season ... worst pitches the EMJFL use by a mile, terrible surface, more like the top of an old pan scrub. 

My eldest plays u-9s in the Warwickshire league. Many of these rules are in place and I can clearly see how they have helped him and his team mates develop. I pulled him out of a u-7 team previously due to unpleasant parents shouting and swearing and a coach who played his favourites (including his daughter) for every minute while others were lucky to get 5 minutes as sub. This stuff works for younger kids at least.

Just now, Bearwood Owl1 said:

My eldest plays u-9s in the Warwickshire league. Many of these rules are in place and I can clearly see how they have helped him and his team mates develop. I pulled him out of a u-7 team previously due to unpleasant parents shouting and swearing and a coach who played his favourites (including his daughter) for every minute while others were lucky to get 5 minutes as sub. This stuff works for younger kids at least.

Fair play

What about the rules about playing in every position and putting your subs onto their side if they're thrashing you etc?

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Fair play

What about the rules about playing in every position and putting your subs onto their side if they're thrashing you etc?

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't think they have to play every position, but the coach swaps the team around regularly anyhow. They're 8/9 so how are they going to know what position they're going to play in later in life unless they get chance to try them out? I don't know about swapping subs, but I do know that one sided games are no good for anyone. My lads team won 15-0 the other week, but learned much more from the 3-2 defeat the week after. 

Fair play

1 hour ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't think they have to play every position, but the coach swaps the team around regularly anyhow. They're 8/9 so how are they going to know what position they're going to play in later in life unless they get chance to try them out? I don't know about swapping subs, but I do know that one sided games are no good for anyone. My lads team won 15-0 the other week, but learned much more from the 3-2 defeat the week after. 

Fair play

If the other team is short a player or down 10 nil in u6/u7 then normally we give them our best player so he gets to test himself and our team has a harder game but with more possession without him there.

From u8 onwards these player sharing practices tend to stop.

The other rules to promote time on the ball continue on though, including the positional rotating.

Of course the coaching aspects are up to the individual coaches. We still see many coaches doing their best big sam long ball tactics, or those doing the angry man approach by shouting continuously.

For the most part though, teams try to play it out from the back and player skill becomes more even. So you get more kids at a decent standard and so more kids playing the game as they get older and develop instead of quitting because they aren't encouraged early on.

Big thanks to everyone who has experience of these rules posting their info and how they’ve found it

On paper it all sounds crackers but seems in reality is working really positively

Respect for taking the time to educate us - I love it when this happens

everyone benefits 

Owlstalk Shop

9 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:
9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Playing in every position can have a huge advantage in the future as the player develops.

Not only does this mean that they can play on different positions if the manager needs them to, but it also means that they get experiences playing there and learn to view the pitch from a different perspective.

Imagine being a Striker but having the experiences of a Centre Back and a Goalkeeper. This would give you a huge advantage over them as you have a better idea as to how they might react to you, and therefore, you can deal with them easier. It makes sense.

This also happens at academy's with players rotating positions (except keeper,  this is a more specialized position than is given credit to, often leading to at least double the amount of training time compared to outfield)  but playing all positions gives them a good grounding and a balanced view and knowledge of each position.

16 hours ago, eugene said:

Good stuff ... I lose track of all the Reddish teams. North End play in Blue and Yellow and have their own home facility? If so, we played them there in a pre-season friendly before last season, nice little set up with a decent 4G astro pitch!

Respect league at Burnage Rugby club or down in Wythenshawe? 

The U12's are at Wright Robbie every week this season ... worst pitches the EMJFL use by a mile, terrible surface, more like the top of an old pan scrub. 

Yes that's the right Reddish team.  It's a fantastic set up and facility, it get used for league games too at U11.

My daughter's respect league games are at Armitage Centre at the university.

I don't like Wright Robbie either, my boy played there at U9 and U10 when they moved form Stockport Sports Village in Woodley.  I watch the U12s there sometimes as my mate is the coach for one of the teams.

Some of the rules though perhaps well intended, do look a little stupid / unnecessary and a step too far for me.

I would hate to be a junior manager or a ref in these matches and having to police all these requirements.