New rules for training footballers (Youth Teams)

I am hopefully going to be taking a local under 7's team next season and I couldn't imagine why I would bother if I wasn't allowed to give instructions to my players. To try and help correct bad habits and the like. And if the goalkeeper has the ball the opposition have to retreat to the other half? That's not in line with the pass back rule as the goalkeeper surely needs to learn to play with his feet under pressure. Not with half a field to operate in. Literally it would be once we get the ball back knock it straight to the keeper and start again. Utter nonsense. Also if all players need to play in goal equally then it renders the rule even more counter productive. 

Edited by 80's Child

1 minute ago, 80's Child said:

I am hopefully going to be taking a local under 7's team next season and I couldn't imagine why I would bother if I wasn't allowed to give instructions to my players. To try and help correct bad habits and the like. And if the goalkeeper has the ball the opposition have to retreat to the other half? That's not in line with the pass back rule as the goalkeeper surely needs to learn to play with his feet under pressure. Not with half a field to operate in. Literally it would be once we get the ball back knock it straight to the keeper and start again. Utter nonsense. 

It is very odd mate.  The goalkeeper thing is only when itis in their hands not anytime it is passed back to them.

Another really weird thing was that they plays 3 "halves" of 20 minutes instead of 30 mins each way which is normal for under 10s

Guest Grez Bez

Some are daft but a lot make sense

The no slide tackling is great; encourages kids to stay on their feet which they should be doing....

I personally have organised and run a league with rules such as this and most of the ideas here are rules we used (we didn't have the no instruction, the clap both teams goals or no slide tackle rule) but the others are aimed at promoting kids to be comfortable in possession and creative not robotic. 

The retreat line and equal play time rules especially are important in youth development; I'm also a firm believer in positional rotation at those younger ages so good to see

3 minutes ago, Donny El said:

The retreat to half way line for a goal kick is used in the Sheffield league from u7 to u9 and as for clapping a goal why wouldn't you anyway they are kids playing a game they love and if the team score then applause should be expected  

The rule in Sheffield at that age only applies to goal kicks doesn't it? That was the case when my lad played at that age, most thought it was a good rule at that stage of their development as many keepers had trouble kicking the ball much further than their own box off the ground and so it allowed teams to get some possession.

4 minutes ago, Donny El said:

Yes as I said  for goal kicks . a good rule at that age . its not because they can't kick properly its to encourage the boys to play the ball out and play football rather than just a big kick up field 

The rule was brought into serve both purposes. When I was watching my son at that age prior to the rule being brought in plenty of goals were conceded as the keepers couldn't kick the ball far enough and the opposition just ringed the penalty area.

43 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

I personally have organised and run a league with rules such as this and most of the ideas here are rules we used (we didn't have the no instruction, the clap both teams goals or no slide tackle rule) but the others are aimed at promoting kids to be comfortable in possession and creative not robotic. 

The retreat line and equal play time rules especially are important in youth development; I'm also a firm believer in positional rotation at those younger ages so good to see

I run an U11 and all players get to play most positions and all get roughly equal game time.

I suspect that over time, the very best players might leave, for a club who value winning more than enjoyment. All my parents are made fully aware at the outset that this is our approach, and I completely respect any parent or super-competitive child who wants to move onwards and upwards. 

Guest mrbluesky
9 hours ago, HirstIsGod said:

A little misleading this thread.

This is the Manchester respect league, which is a bit of a soft touch league for teams that have very little to no competitive experience.  Once they are used to playing other teams they move to the East Manchester or Stockport Metro leagus which are played with the usual rules we all understand.

My son changed teams in the middle of last season and ended up playing in this for a couple of months.  It was the strangest thing ever for my son getting used to retreating when the keeper had the ball and not to mention not being able to tackle, as he had played in the normal league from being 5 years old.

I’m not sure but the  Sheffield league used to have the retreat line, I think it goes up to under 8’s, can’t remember and they’ve also introduced sin bin this season as well.

Edited by mrbluesky

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

I’m not sure but the  Sheffield league used to have the retreat line, I think it goes up to under 8’s, can’t remember and they’ve also introduced sin bin this season as well.

Like others have said this is for goal kicks when the ball had gone out of play. The respect league also retreat whenever the keeper has the ball in their hands.

Retreat exists in the east Manchester league my son plays in but only for goal kicks and up to U9 ish. For reasons already mentioned by others this isn't a bad idea.

Apart from the 'you must phrase your instructions in the form of a question' which is just confusing for everyone, that sounds fine for teams of low-ability/'special' kids who just want to have a bit of fun.

It's not like any of these kids are going to go on and have a career in football.

Instead of introducing 'rules' such as these, maybe the FA could direct some much needed finance from the professional game into training and educating many of the coaches who are simply enthusiastic parents into why SOME of these rules are beneficial.

Then a more educated and well advised set up will naturally start to develop a more organised training regime which in turn will produce better quality players.

This is not a criticism of those many wonderful volunteers who allow kids to experience a sport they love. But as a qualified youth coach who has worked abroad, I cringe both when I see some of the delivery from the sidelines, but also then the FAs attempts to rectify these issues.

'The English FA - Still years behind!'

So is this just in Manchester ?? 

Or all youth leagues ?? 

The rule about players must retreat to own half if GK has the ball is a bit mental.

2 min-sin-bin could be a good shout for some gobby little teenage attitudes

3 hours ago, owlinexile said:

Apart from the 'you must phrase your instructions in the form of a question' which is just confusing for everyone

It's pointless

You could just rephrase what you were going to shout in the form of a question

eg: instead of shouting "John get forward and push up the wing" you'd just shout "John should you get forward and push up the wing??" 

You could add some entertaining twist by doing it in the style of Will Ferrell's Anchorman character

Owlstalk Shop