Which football chants/songs truly started at Sheffield Wednesday?

We love you Wednesday, we do etc.

Only ever initially heard it at Hillsborough, Paul Carrack later made it into a single, and I recall other teams adopting it after we sang it on MOTD once (think it may have been Charlton in the promotion season when Varadi scored that chip)

Honolulu Wednesday?

Singing the blues?

Hark now 'ere? 

It's always interested me on how football chants originate. I was reading how a Man United fan writes his own chants and then sings them at games. Sometimes they catch on, sometimes they don't, but he carries on doing it and he's claimed that quite a few well-known footy chants were created by him.

The theme for creating new chants at the moment seems to be 90's disco classics, but social media means that every club in the country soon copies it if it's easy to adapt the lyrics (i.e. Andrew Gold - Never Let Her Slip Away chant that EVERYONE is now singing)

Always thought the band could do more when it comes to creating new songs. I remember a time on the Kop when each player of the starting 11 had their own chant and we'd go through the full repertoire before kick-off. Mind you, they'd only get played to death at England/Leeds Rhinos matches so probably best they didn't.

Can anyone claim they started a Wednesday chant? Surely some must have started off here with the amount of new chant threads we've had over the years.

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

We love you Wednesday, we do etc.

Only ever initially heard it at Hillsborough, Paul Carrack later made it into a single, and I recall other teams adopting it after we sang it on MOTD once (think it may have been Charlton in the promotion season when Varadi scored that chip)

Liverpool fans were singing it at the 1974 Cup Final v Newcastle. That's the first time I remember hearing it.

16 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Liverpool fans were singing it at the 1974 Cup Final v Newcastle. That's the first time I remember hearing it.

I was only 2 so missed that. I never heard it sang by anybody until we started in the 83/84 promotion season and then not long afterwards it became quite widespread.

Why would the Liverpool fans be singing that they loved us though? lol

Edited by alanharper

2 hours ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

Hark now 'ere? 

United sang this first after Boxing Day '79.  Remember mates of mine who were Blades going on about it.  They reckon United ran Wednesday across Hillsborough park after the match (I doubt that unless it was odds of 10 to 1 in their favour).

They sang it a lot at the Lane in the return fixture.  We had a large part of the Shoreham that day so probably got picked up there.

Think about it, why would we "fight forever more because of Boxing Day" ?  We hammered 'em.

2 hours ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

Honolulu Wednesday?

Singing the blues?

Hark now 'ere? 

It's always interested me on how football chants originate. I was reading how a Man United fan writes his own chants and then sings them at games. Sometimes they catch on, sometimes they don't, but he carries on doing it and he's claimed that quite a few well-known footy chants were created by him.

The theme for creating new chants at the moment seems to be 90's disco classics, but social media means that every club in the country soon copies it if it's easy to adapt the lyrics (i.e. Andrew Gold - Never Let Her Slip Away chant that EVERYONE is now singing)

Always thought the band could do more when it comes to creating new songs. I remember a time on the Kop when each player of the starting 11 had their own chant and we'd go through the full repertoire before kick-off. Mind you, they'd only get played to death at England/Leeds Rhinos matches so probably best they didn't.

Can anyone claim they started a Wednesday chant? Surely some must have started off here with the amount of new chant threads we've had over the years.

I 100% started "I'd rather be bin laden than a blade" just after the 9/11 attacks cos my mate was cringing in the taxi on the way to the match but it caught on for a bit.

Whilst watching Wednesday get battered at Palace back in the early 2000s the guy sat next to me (who I've since been informed was a gentleman by the name of Fishcake) stood up and sang "Liverpool 5, Palace 0; Liverpool 5, Palace 0".

I don't think it really caught on, but it was definitely the first time I'd heard it.

11 minutes ago, EBRAwe'rebarmy said:

United sang this first after Boxing Day '79.  Remember mates of mine who were Blades going on about it.  They reckon United ran Wednesday across Hillsborough park after the match (I doubt that unless it was odds of 10 to 1 in their favour).

They sang it a lot at the Lane in the return fixture.  We had a large part of the Shoreham that day so probably got picked up there.

Think about it, why would we "fight forever more because of Boxing Day" ?  We hammered 'em.

In tribute to our victorious heroes?

I think it makes less sense for them to sing it. Who else sings about getting hammered by their rivals?

1 minute ago, punkskaphil said:

In tribute to our victorious heroes?

I think it makes less sense for them to sing it. Who else sings about getting hammered by their rivals?

Made me want to laugh at them than fight. 

Either way, whatever the sensibilities of the lyrics, it's just a fact Phil, they did.  I was there, home and away and we never sang it until we heard it from them and changed it around.  It didn't really catch on for a good while.

4 minutes ago, EBRAwe'rebarmy said:

Either way, whatever the sensibilities of the lyrics, it's just a fact Phil, they did.  I was there, home and away and we never sang it until we heard it from them and changed it around.  It didn't really catch on for a good while.

Theres You Tube highlights of the 1-1 and you can clearly hear them singing it.

Rumour had it though that Curran and another player (forgot which one) was singing it in dressing room after BDM.

Edited by Emilianenko

3 minutes ago, EBRAwe'rebarmy said:

I wasn't arguing (I was only 3 months old at the time). I was just answering your question.