Advertising hoardings

Ian

Apologies if this has been brought up before but I've not seen anything.

I didn't go on Saturday and on ringing my 80 year old mum for a summing up of the match was told that she couldn't see a lot because of all the adverts flashing and moving in the background......I humoured her a bit and put it down to her age.

however last night I could see what she meant....from my seat in the north stand, there was one particular goalmouth scramble at the lane end with the sky bet advert in the background and I had no idea where the ball was......skybet and Ladbrokes stood out for me as far too bright, might be just a night issue and I'm wondering a) if the brightness can be adjusted and b) does anyone else have problems with them?

• Like 2

Never had any problem with them at any other ground. I havent been able to get to hillsborough recently due to other commitments so cant comment on ours specifically. 

What I will say though is they are a requirement in the premier league so no hope of getting rid. I would imagine there are brightness and contrast settings - might be worth raising with the club directly if enough people have a problem..

In fairness these are just the temp ones till the proper ones are fitted in October (sure I read it somewhere) :-) maybe these will have more natural colours, does seem to be certain colours ie the Red that is too bright.    

When I have previously  watched some games on the TV mainly champions league etc, often wondered if they are distracting to the players, would have thought flashes in your peripheral vision could distract.

That been said never heard a player or manager use this as an excuse and sure they would if they could!

5 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Remember these aren't the proper ones, I imagine any issues will be sorted when we get the new ones installed.

Is this true? Where have you heard it?

I also had issues with them. I'm short sighted anyway but got absolutely no chance now sitting on Kop. I hadn't a clue if Hooper's goal had gone in or not

2 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

I'd like to add to this thread the fact the font on the scoreboard has been changed so now you need a NASA spec telescope to read it.

The score and time are fine, the player names no chance!

Totally agree with this too! Ridiculous how small they've made the font. Even my partner can't see them and she has perfect vision

2 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Is this true? Where have you heard it?

I also had issues with them. I'm short sighted anyway but got absolutely no chance now sitting on Kop. I hadn't a clue if Hooper's goal had gone in or not

Totally agree with this too! Ridiculous how small they've made the font. Even my partner can't see them and she has perfect vision

Sure it was on Owlstalk or Star re temp boards.

Agree font needs changing my eyes are ok and can see it from the Kop, but not that easy. Must be a simple job to alter the font etc. 

Sat half way up South , opposite Kop penalty spot last night. First time I'd seen the advertising boards. Was in early, and thought at first what an improvement they made. Then, after

the match kicked off they were so bright that I frequently 'lost the ball', being unable to pick it out in what had become a confusing glare Some work must be done on a) the  light intensity whilst the match is on and b)the ads that come up from the bottom i.e. The elev8 ads -particularly annoying.

I can see the idea being a good one, but work needs to be done if we are not able to follow the flight of the ball. Must say, it seems rather ironic that, just as we forgo the 'hoof-ball' and start playing some beautiful on the ground football, we get it blocked out. Also 'lost' the Brentford left sided players in the glare.

And why do we keep getting a bright light with coloured lights appearing beside the goal. I presume this was a call for stewards. Leave this off and use the Speaker system.

23 minutes ago, Ian said:

Apologies if this has been brought up before but I've not seen anything.

I didn't go on Saturday and on ringing my 80 year old mum for a summing up of the match was told that she couldn't see a lot because of all the adverts flashing and moving in the background......I humoured her a bit and put it down to her age.

however last night I could see what she meant....from my seat in the north stand, there was one particular goalmouth scramble at the lane end with the sky bet advert in the background and I had no idea where the ball was......skybet and Ladbrokes stood out for me as far too bright, might be just a night issue and I'm wondering a) if the brightness can be adjusted and b) does anyone else have problems with them?

Are you calling for dull adverts ? Good luck with that one lol

2 minutes ago, Muffinman said:

Why do you think sky et al show matches, The advertising revenue. Fast forward 20 years and I reckon we will be watching through projected holograms.

The old 'enemy' - MONEY. Got to agree with the bit about the goalmouth scramble. 

Also the FONT size on the board. On having my eyes tested last month, my optician said 'I wish my long sight was as good as yours'. Last night is the first time I've ever had a problen reading at a distance, and this includes the destination boards on buses.

18 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Isnt it always the case that being behind one goal you have no idea if a shot crosses the line at the other end unless/until the net ripples? Especially if at a low level.

I wouldn't put that down to flashy advertising boards, although it might make it worse.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Isnt it always the case that being behind one goal you have no idea if a shot crosses the line at the other end unless/until the net ripples? Especially if at a low level.

I wouldn't put that down to flashy advertising boards, although it might make it worse.

Good point, from the Kop without boards would have been impossible to see if a ball had crossed the line on the ground at Lepp end, just go with the reaction of the crowd  

8 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Crossing the line obviously we can't tell that, but I couldn't even see the net ripple it was that bad where I was sat