Carlos Carvalal form

1 hour ago, AwokenGiant said:

As said, see my earlier posts Eightace. 

Money doesn't always guarantee success and in fact in some cases it can create more problems. If it was that simple, Clubs would just spend money and not bother with a manager. Carvalhal and Gray deserve credit in both circumstances, this goes with saying, but its too easy to say that Carlos's job has been easier. 

He deserves credit but of course it's been easier!!

If you're forced to scrape the barrel looking for loan players like Gary Taylor-Fletcher and then suddenly you can go out and sign Fernando Forestieri your jobs not exactly become harder has it!?

Is it just a coincidence that we've been crap for the best part of 2 decades and have never once looked like getting promoted to the Premier League until Dejphon Chansiri bought significant investment into the club?

I get that you're a big Carlos fan and that's fair enough but please don't try to pretend that a managers job isn't made easier when significant funds are made available to him. I'm sure Carlos would much rather be working with the players he has now than Joe Mattock, Darren Potter, Leon Clarke and Deon Burton.

That's a good win ratio nobody can deny it . Completely wrong to compare against grays tenure though . Carlos hasn't  had to pick up frees like Stephen mcphail and sidibie.... I'm not starting another Carlos bashing thread but to compare him to previous squads is like complementing a Porsche when up against a fiat punto. It's not really fair 

11 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

If you're forced to scrape the barrel looking for loan players like Gary Taylor-Fletcher and then suddenly you can go out and sign Fernando Forestieri your jobs not exactly become harder has it!?

Is it just a coincidence that we've been crap for the best part of 2 decades and have never once looked like getting promoted to the Premier League until Dejphon Chansiri bought significant investment into the club?

I get that you're a big Carlos fan and that's fair enough but please don't try to pretend that a managers job isn't made easier when significant funds are made available to him. I'm sure Carlos would much rather be working with the players he has now than Joe Mattock, Darren Potter, Leon Clarke and Deon Burton.

For the record, I like what Carlos has done/is doing but that doesn't cloud my perspective (as said, see earlier posts in this thread). I'd like to think I am fair with my judgement whether that be Gray, Carvalhal or whoever. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

5 hours ago, Eightace said:

He was crap but it was an example.

We were properly skint. Blinkin Mourinho would have struggled.

I could go out and buy Diame, Woods and Knockhaert and look like the best manager we ever had.

Not knocking Carlos but win rate doesn't tell the full story about what's happed since the premier league days 

Exactly, if you compare what we've spent in today's money to what BIG Ron spent?? People had started spending. 3million on signings Hirst was 250 grand Oo. I don't think that whole squad cost more than 1.5m can you imagine buying  that squad in today's money?? Though Hirst was already here when he took over. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

4 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I'm not a massive Megson fan, he's past it and a bit of a dinosaur to the modern game, bit like Pearson, but I do think he'd have been slightly better in the transfer market with getting recruitment right early on and  also maybe a bit closer to automatic promotion with Carlos funds to spend. The one I always remind myself is this. Stuart Grey built most of this squad, especially that exceptional hardworking defencive unit Carlos was lucky to inherit, all Carlos needed to do was spend on some good firepower and we were on the up. 

Still for me after over 20 million spent our most IMPORTANT players are Lees, Westwood, (had to make sure I didn't put Lee Westwood) lol and hutch. Along with Hooper and Bannan. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

12 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm not a massive Megson fan, he's past it and a bit of a dinosaur to the modern game, bit like Pearson, but I do think he'd have been slightly better in the transfer market with getting recruitment right early on and  also maybe a bit closer to automatic promotion with Carlos funds to spend. The one I always remind myself is this. Stuart Grey built most of this squad, especially that exceptional hardworking defencive unit Carlos was lucky to inherit, all Carlos needed to do was spend on some good firepower and we were on the up. 

Still for me after over 20 million spent our most IMPORTANT players are Lees, Westwood, (had to make sure I didn't put Lee Westwood) lol and hutch. Along with Hooper and Bannan. 

All the shenanigans with making sure I didn't put Lee Westwood meant I didn't add Lee in the end. Oops 

2 minutes ago, sheffsteel said:

Chris Wilder has won 15 out of his last 18 league matches, 21 wins from his last 24 matches if your include the pre-season friendlies.

He's also currently on 9 consecutive home wins in the league.

What's your point? 

Including pre-season friendlies too :duntmatter:

2 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

Chris Wilder has won 15 out of his last 18 league matches, 21 wins from his last 24 matches if your include the pre-season friendlies.

He's also currently on 9 consecutive home wins in the league.

He's done well, but we are talking consistency over the long-term in the Championship not League 1. 

On 11/09/2017 at 09:46, TrickyTrev said:

If money is all it takes, how come the ex-PL clubs are doing so poorly?

QPR?  Villa?  Norwich?

On 11/09/2017 at 09:30, ramone said:

Misleading...??? Its a stat. Black and white. There's literally nothing misleading about it.

I'm a CC fan, but this is a silly statement. The stat is clearly framed in such a way as to suggest only one obvious conclusion.

Stats that do that are ten a penny. In politics, they're fifty a penny. In football, thousands to the penny.

Dangerous to dismiss as 'black and white' just because they're numbers.

Context is everything, and cold hard stats - good or bad - tend to lack context when it suits the poster. I'd even go so far as to say that's the point of stats - they're an unrefined argument that lacks a wider view. It's what you DO with stats, and how you frame them, that creates a strong argument.

Edited by Mr. Tom

10 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

We have lost and given up far too many points at home. This has been the difference between promotion and staying put. We shouldn't lose more than 1 a year at home. 

Seems reasoble. 96% unbeaten otherwise I'll do a cross poo.

FFSaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake man

1/23. IN THIS LEAGUE

WTF:

Edited by Mr. Tom