Deadline day mini doc.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

But who regulates? FIFA? One of the most corrupt governing bodies on the planet? The FA weak as pisswater and terrified of upsetting the Premierleague. 

The game has gone completely mad. 

In fact it's ceased to be a game hasn't it.  

It's become a host body for the leaches 

True. It would need to be done as part of a genuine clean up, but the clubs would agree to it.

Watched the other day, really good insight into deadline day.

3 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

What I found particularly eye-opening in that was the bit where Wilder personally spends five minutes explaining to Sinclair who Sheff Utd are, where they've come from, how they play etc.

Potential jokes aside, it seemed mental to me that Sinclair wouldn't already have a working knowledge of that stuff, *especially* as an alleged club of interest for him. Seems absolutely shocking to me that he was getting the absolute basics over the phone immediately prior to a potential permanent move.

Not expecting every player to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every EFL/Prem team, but you'd think at least the 40-odd in the positions immediately surrounding their current club would be pretty damned familiar.

Left me a bit cold to think that players would willingly transfer to a team they knew nothing of bar the kit colour. Probably naive to have assumed otherwise, but in almost any other industry it'd be unusual to switch employers without doing a LOT of research on the new lot first.

What a grotesque game football is everywhere except on the pitch.

Was about to type that about Sinclair before i saw your post aha, spot on though mate.

Makes you wonder if you're Sinclair would you rather be playing football infront of 25,000+ each week in a half decent side or playing reserve team football for a smaller club, only plus would be that his current team are  in the PL. I don't know if it's the agents fault for demanding X amount of money for coming on loan or the players fault for being content to get paid and not play competitive football at all.

Either way like you say it's stunning some players are clueless to teams outside the PL, even more so a big club like Sheffield United...I would image Sinclair has the same limited knowledge on us too.

15 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Watched the other day, really good insight into deadline day.

Was about to type that about Sinclair before i saw your post aha, spot on though mate.

Makes you wonder if you're Sinclair would you rather be playing football infront of 25,000+ each week in a half decent side or playing reserve team football for a smaller club, only plus would be that his current team are  in the PL. I don't know if it's the agents fault for demanding X amount of money for coming on loan or the players fault for being content to get paid and not play competitive football at all.

Either way like you say it's stunning some players are clueless to teams outside the PL, even more so a big club like Sheffield United...I would image Sinclair has the same limited knowledge on us too.

To be fair you're assuming Sinclair didn't have that knowledge.

wilder was just trying to sell united to him I think.

good doc though enjoyed it.

Thanks for posting. That's a great little piece which reveals just a tiny glimpse into the murky world of football agents and transfer deals.

I'm surprised that a Championship club would grant such unfiltered access, but I'd love for there to be a longer documentary given the same level of access to a group of clubs on deadline day, just so fans can see the kind of games of cat and mouse which must go on behind closed doors.

Really interesting view as to what happens on deadline day and how agents ruin football. They have more control than player and club. Something needs to be done to stop that.

The fact that Sinclair had gone to Sheffield and needing to wait for his agent to give the go ahead is shocking. He obviously wanted the move but his agent is more concerned about lining his pocket than the players interest. Better off letting the players represent themselves when it comes to personal terms and let the clubs deal with transfer fee etc.

Fair play to United as well, not many clubs would allow this kind of access.

Most players and managers involved in a potential transfer do a fair amount of due diligence by speaking to other pros before a move. Especially about the other party's attitude, motivation etc. 

That said, I know of situations where players have barely spoken to a manager before signing (just to their agent). And vice versa, I know of a southern based club who rushed into a signing (barely asking a question) after the player's agent created a fantasy bidding war which they got suckered into. And that was at Championship level, for reasonably large sums of money. They signed him and it has been a disaster and they want rid after 6 months but are tied down for 4 years. 

I would imagine Sinclair had done his checks on SUFC through mutual friends who know of the club/team/manager already. So Wilder's words would have been just a final selling piece to get it over the line. Before the lad's agent started demanding more money. 

5 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Good documentary.

The bit I didn't understand was the idea that Sinclair was sat in the Pumpkin cafe at the station and no one from BDSM  lane wandered round to talk to him they just carried on  playing pool.

Indeed, and Sinclair has had his say on this suggesting the we shouldn't believe all that we read and watch. No debating that far too many agents priority is to get the best deal for themselves rather than any footballer or club which is why us fans have such a low regard for them.

Good documentary.

The bit I didn't understand was the idea that Sinclair was sat in the Pumpkin cafe at the station and no one from BDSM  lane wandered round to talk to him they just carried on  playing pool.

This also confused me- I had initially assumed it was because they didn't have permission to speak to the player so didn't want to be doing anything technically wrong whilst on a doco. 

But then Wilder clarifies it is all agreed with his club, just not the agent. 

I can only think that the player/agent wanted to avoid a potential Peter Odemwingie situation, hanging around SUFC without a full deal in place? 

Good documentary.

7 minutes ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

This also confused me- I had initially assumed it was because they didn't have permission to speak to the player so didn't want to be doing anything technically wrong whilst on a doco. 

But then Wilder clarifies it is all agreed with his club, just not the agent. 

I can only think that the player/agent wanted to avoid a potential Peter Odemwingie situation, hanging around SUFC without a full deal in place? 

Quite early on they mention the deal has been done with the club and the agent.  They get the call from the agent to say the players on his way for medical and signing. 

While the lads on the train that's when the agent rings back wanting an extra 50% of what's already been agreed.  He won't budge. 

They won't budge. And the lad is sat there in Sheffield station like a chump.  

Don't know for certain ...but you have to suspect his agent has rung him in the meantime and told him to hang fire with his taxi to the ground until United buckle to the late extra demand.

He won't have wanted him to turn up there and be persuaded by wilder and Co and result in the agent having to back down on his extra demand.

That's how I read it.

Though I am a cynical old cove.

It's a good watch but it's naive in the extreme to think that this is a full and accurate representation of the actual situation.

Clubs are equally to blame for the madness that happens in the way they work with agents and treat players like complete commodities.

Also to someone that said that they were better planned than most other clubs, what you saw there was an absolute fraction of what clubs do to prepare. A fraction.

Ill be astounded if this 9 mins of entertainment is the true picture and not simply driving at an anti-agent agenda

Interesting documentary and all credit to United for allowing this to be filmed and released.

Be interesting to hear what Sinclair and his agent say about the situation and give their view (some folk have already mentioned Sinclair laughed it off - anyone able to post what he said?).

Dodnt really understand the Cole deal - Fleetwood agree a free transfer, then ask for £500k, they agreed £200k, then the agent says the new fee is £1.2m?! Why would United pay that - it's not like they've had a poor start to the season and are desperate, potential panic buyers. Wonder if the agent had got wind of Brayford's move to Burton, freeing up a lot of money and tried it on?

Wouldn't surprise me if the club (not just United, all clubs) also d*cked around a bit on the agreements too.

Tighter restrictions and the involvement of a neutral third party in player purchases would help, but it's highly unlikely to happen.

5 hours ago, McRightSide said:

It's a good watch but it's naive in the extreme to think that this is a full and accurate representation of the actual situation.

Clubs are equally to blame for the madness that happens in the way they work with agents and treat players like complete commodities.

Also to someone that said that they were better planned than most other clubs, what you saw there was an absolute fraction of what clubs do to prepare. A fraction.

Ill be astounded if this 9 mins of entertainment is the true picture and not simply driving at an anti-agent agenda

Of course it's only a snapshop of one clubs actions. One side of things.

And the clubs are to blame that they allow themselves to be held over a barrel.

But how many clubs would refuse to get involved in the farce?

"We won't pay any fixers fee"

"Fine. We'll find someone who will" and they usually do.

The desperation of clubs to get ahead these days means most of them will cravenly give in to such demands.

Of course 9 minutes won't be a full and true picture of the whole affair.

On the other hand I'm not sure that the Bleacher report and United got their heads together and said 'why don't we do a hatchet piece on agents'

Football isn't what it was - fans have to realise that and as the pigs are finding out the higher you go the more the politics of agents materialise

Fans need to understand the road we're on

Clubs are almost beholden to certain agents and what they have in their portfolio of players

Agents don't work solely for players - it's not unusual for clubs to ask an agent to find a specific player or a specific position - players do pay agents also

Some clubs are virtually owned by agencies

Not long now before clubs become franchises imo

If FIFA/UEFA don't act soon (they won't) then we're witnessing the dawn of the end of the game as we know it