Deadline day mini doc.

Ok. It's the pigs....

But....but.... try and look past that. Though I know some of you won't be able to. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1619561781439618&id=544392522289888

I actually think it's quite interesting and certainly proves that it's not as easy as just going out and getting players.

The bit that got me was the lad travelling up. Getting to Sheffield station...and while he's been travelling the agent had hiked the fee up and then the ends up having to turn around and get back on the train home again. 

Absolutely brilliant mini documentary.

It's irrelevant that it's focusing on United...it could have been any club. Just highlights the barminess of football at the minute.

And actually, although it looked like United had had a very busy day, and we're messed about (and they were), I suspect they were one of the most prepared clubs going into the window.

They had identified the players they wanted at the start of the day. Had done their homework on them, and would have completed all five deals had they had the opportunity to.

I suspect, many clubs (and probably ourselves), were not that organised. And by that, I mean, either had double/triple the amount of targets lined up at the start of the day, or didn't have as many, and just happened to see who became available to them. You can see how clubs end up making panic buys so late in the window. 

The whole system is flawed and can't be far from collapse. But where does it stop, when does it stop and how does it stop?! 

The obvious scapegoat is the agents, and they absolutely are a huge contributor to the whole shambles. But in the instance of Jerome Sinclair, IF he wanted to join United so badly (like Wilder seemed to imply), why didn't he just tell his agent to stick it? Tell him to shove his enhanced agent fee somewhere dark, and do, what he thought was good for his career? In the end, Jerome Sinclair now sits on his backside for 4 months, potentially damaging his career, all because his agent wanted 50% more in agency fees?! Come off it...the player HAS to take some responsibility themselves. They are grown adults...not 12 year old kids. 

And fair play to Wilder and Sheffield United, for not dancing to the agents tune. The agent probably played that card, because many clubs previously accepted it, to ensure they didn't miss out on a player on deadline day. 

Thought Wilder and Sheffield United came out of the documentary very positively. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

But in the instance of Jerome Sinclair, IF he wanted to join United so badly (like Wilder seemed to imply), why didn't he just tell his agent to stick it? Tell him to shove his enhanced agent fee somewhere dark, and do, what he thought was good for his career? In the end, Jerome Sinclair now sits on his backside for 4 months, potentially damaging his career, all because his agent wanted 50% more in agency fees?! Come off it...the player HAS to take some responsibility themselves. They are grown adults...not 12 year old kids. 

Spot on with this mate. 

26 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Absolutely brilliant mini documentary.

It's irrelevant that it's focusing on United...it could have been any club. Just highlights the barminess of football at the minute.

And actually, although it looked like United had had a very busy day, and we're messed about (and they were), I suspect they were one of the most prepared clubs going into the window.

They had identified the players they wanted at the start of the day. Had done their homework on them, and would have completed all five deals had they had the opportunity to.

I suspect, many clubs (and probably ourselves), were not that organised. And by that, I mean, either had double/triple the amount of targets lined up at the start of the day, or didn't have as many, and just happened to see who became available to them. You can see how clubs end up making panic buys so late in the window. 

The whole system is flawed and can't be far from collapse. But where does it stop, when does it stop and how does it stop?! 

The obvious scapegoat is the agents, and they absolutely are a huge contributor to the whole shambles. But in the instance of Jerome Sinclair, IF he wanted to join United so badly (like Wilder seemed to imply), why didn't he just tell his agent to stick it? Tell him to shove his enhanced agent fee somewhere dark, and do, what he thought was good for his career? In the end, Jerome Sinclair now sits on his backside for 4 months, potentially damaging his career, all because his agent wanted 50% more in agency fees?! Come off it...the player HAS to take some responsibility themselves. They are grown adults...not 12 year old kids. 

And fair play to Wilder and Sheffield United, for not dancing to the agents tune. The agent probably played that card, because many clubs previously accepted it, to ensure they didn't miss out on a player on deadline day. 

Thought Wilder and Sheffield United came out of the documentary very positively. 

Certainly came out of it much better than the last documentary that featured them...

33 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

...the player HAS to take some responsibility themselves. They are grown adults...not 12 year old kids. 

I think this is an absolutley massive point. 

Are they grown adults? 

Or are they man-babies? And I mean that in a non derisory way.

Take Jerome.... been with West Brom from being ten years old. 

He's 'signed' from West Brom by Liverpool at 14 years old. 

I know that these days club encourage the lads to get am education etc etc.  But so much is also done for them. As teens they are earning more money than grown men. And many have no life experience. In fact,  I'd say they are actually shielded from life experiences!

(I can remember years ago being told by an ex player that the first time he'd gone away on Holiday after he'd retired he hadn't even twigged he'd needed a passport because when he was playing his manager had always kept it for him and sorted it all. But that's another tale)

I know they can't all be completley behind the door. But I think there must be a case that many of them never really do make decisions for themselves.  We've all heard stories about players ringing the club because the light bulb had gone in the bathroom and they didn't know how to change it etc etc.

I know I'm using extreme points to highlight it but you know what I'm getting at. I think they get tjat used to peoplendoing things for them, that they almost become beholden to them.

Rightly or wrongly.  

Edited by Lord Snooty

I get the players should take responsibility but lets face it, alot of them aren't that bright and if their agent says, "stick with me son and I'll get you another £5000 a week " they're going to do it aren't they.  It's only like Union members going out on strike because their shop stewerd has told them to. (Tin hat on)

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Clubs and players ....Agents are not compulsory. PFA will do the job free Gratis ! The goal posts stay in one place.

convinced the game as a whole would be a better place if all players had to use the PFA and kick the spivvy leeches out of the game 

Absolutely mental. It's like a pimp/prostitute relationship. I would imagine what happened at United is quite tame by comparison with some other clubs. If United have agreed the deal with Watford and West Ham, why on earth would the agent deserve a cut. Surely the only deal is on how much of their wages each club pays, and how much the loan fee is. 

It's about time FIFA sorted out this agent thing once and for all. Disgraceful. 

34 minutes ago, vulva said:

Absolutely mental. It's like a pimp/prostitute relationship. I would imagine what happened at United is quite tame by comparison with some other clubs. If United have agreed the deal with Watford and West Ham, why on earth would the agent deserve a cut. Surely the only deal is on how much of their wages each club pays, and how much the loan fee is. 

It's about time FIFA sorted out this agent thing once and for all. Disgraceful. 

Exactly, total parasites. Fair play to Wilder for telling them to do one.

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

Exactly, total parasites. Fair play to Wilder for telling them to do one.

Agree. Wilder came across very well. If all football clubs got together on this and refused to deal with agents, it would be game over for them. It won't be long before we have the first millionaire footballer who actually hasn't played a first team game. 

What I found particularly eye-opening in that was the bit where Wilder personally spends five minutes explaining to Sinclair who Sheff Utd are, where they've come from, how they play etc.

Potential jokes aside, it seemed mental to me that Sinclair wouldn't already have a working knowledge of that stuff, *especially* as an alleged club of interest for him. Seems absolutely shocking to me that he was getting the absolute basics over the phone immediately prior to a potential permanent move.

Not expecting every player to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every EFL/Prem team, but you'd think at least the 40-odd in the positions immediately surrounding their current club would be pretty damned familiar.

Left me a bit cold to think that players would willingly transfer to a team they knew nothing of bar the kit colour. Probably naive to have assumed otherwise, but in almost any other industry it'd be unusual to switch employers without doing a LOT of research on the new lot first.

What a grotesque game football is everywhere except on the pitch.

That's the bit that stuck in my craw

He sells the club to the player 

His chief has agreed it with the club.

Apparently agrees with agent

Player coma up on  train.

Then absent wants another 50%

It's blackmail. The club, quite desperate in some cases know the player is in  their town and ready to sign the dotted line. 

He's sat literally in this case 5 minutes away. 

@vulva has hit the nail on the head. It's just pimping plain and simple.

And now the lad probably isn't going to kick a  ball between now and January in all honesty.  

And that agents was representing two players they were after. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

What a grotesque game football is everywhere except on the pitch.

Agreed. Though there is a lot Korea spivish behaviour sneaking on there too. But not on the scale of off it.

This is a really useful insightful video, and absolute highlights the self obsessed, money conscious and selfish agents.

my thoughts are agents are meant to act in the best interests of the player.

But a move doesn't go through, because an agent changes his mind and wants more money, meaning the player won't get first team football, a chance to prove himself and potentially make a name 

To me that's not acting in the players best interests, they really are the parasites of the game. 

How many bright talents and potential wonder kids, will slip through the net because of this and not getting regular football just because the agent wants more money now. He should think of the bigger picture, if Sinclair got his move, played well and scored 15/20'goals, wouldn't his value and stock go up resulting in a big money move at the end of the season...

what a sad state of affairs this is.