How do you rate the squad now?

13 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Not on board with that either, to be honest!

It's a defense first approach with CC, sure; and while not the most exciting to watch with personnel that can't quite fit into the system, it'll be well suited to keep us in the PL when we go up this year.

I think we've added the right man at the back in Van Aken to finally get some urgency in our build up:

Building from the back and retaining possession isn't sexy football, but it controls the flow of the game.  Our problem has been the mind numbing slowness coming out of the back, with no intent (or ability) to get the ball into attack.  By the time we finally decide we're ready to go forward, the opposition is already settled in and found their shape to defend, and we just bang our heads against the proverbial wall.

Our new centre backs should mean some greater ability on the ball, and the ability to get the ball moved into attack much faster and more accurately, instead of it being every ball forward from defense means the strikers having to battle it out for the ball.  It also means our fullbacks can have some freedom to range forward and overlap.

I think this has been a really positive window.  If we can stay healthy (and even then, I think we have enough depth in the squad now) we're in fantastic shape in my opinion.

Like with Midds and Karanka?

2 minutes ago, abdiwonderland said:

Like with Midds and Karanka?

Yikes, not at all.

2 defensive mids and a single striker?  No thanks.

We have the talent in attack that we don't need to try and shut up completely with some shitty modern catenaccio (only with less flair on the ball).  I prefer the midfield diamond, with two strikers and a mid to attack, but at the very least we need two out and out attackers out there. 

I'm just not as super pumped or eager as others seem to be to concede goals as long as it means that the football looks more entertaining.  Having a top 3 defence in the league is a good thing, not a bad thing.

49 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Yikes, not at all.

2 defensive mids and a single striker?  No thanks.

We have the talent in attack that we don't need to try and shut up completely with some shitty modern catenaccio (only with less flair on the ball).  I prefer the midfield diamond, with two strikers and a mid to attack, but at the very least we need two out and out attackers out there. 

I'm just not as super pumped or eager as others seem to be to concede goals as long as it means that the football looks more entertaining.  Having a top 3 defence in the league is a good thing, not a bad thing.

A top three defence, and a bottom half attack

52 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

it's criminal we've not signed any pace, absolutely criminal 

how can cc not see this? or alternatively choose to ignore it?

Pace on individuals is not the be all and end all that everyone goes on about. The problem we have had at times is that we haven't moved the ball or switched the play quick enough to pull players out of position. Butterfield and the two new CBs sort this issue somewhat.

you don't need individual pace when the ball is moving quickly and accurately and positioning is good. We needed a change of pace but that doesn't always come from an individual runner, it can come from a quick increase in passing speed.

37 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

A top three defence, and a bottom half attack

Forest finished with a top half attack and avoided relegation on goal difference.

Norwich tied Fulham and Newcastle for the league's best attack and came 8th.

Brentford had a top 5 attack and finished 10th.

It's not the end of the world.  We bang in a few more goals, we're in great shape

Edited by Indoor Owl

23 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Forest finished with a top half attack and avoided relegation on goal difference.

Norwich tied Fulham and Newcastle for the league's best attack and came 8th.

Brentford had a top 5 attack and finished 10th.

It's not the end of the world.  We bang in a few more goals, we're in great shape

Quite so In fact I'm in agreement with you (and Carlos), keeping it tight is the way forward for us With that in mind, I'd question why so much money has been squandered on forwards, whose style makes them largely redundant We'd have been better bringing in forward players who are better at keeping possession and who can defend from the front Only really Forestieri can do this More possession, and better control over games, will be what sees us over the line

Edited by gurujuan

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Quite so In fact I'm in agreement with you (and Carlos), keeping it tight is the way forward for us With that in mind, I'd question why so much money has been squandered on forwards, whose style makes them largely redundant We'd have been better bringing in forward players who are better at keeping possession and who can defend from the front Only really Forestieri can do this More possession, and better control over games, will be what sees us over the line

Fletcher is fine in possession as well, it's just problematic because we have strikers doing hold up work for an attack that never fully materializes.

With a more solid CB pairing, and especially the added pace at CB over Loovens, we can then finally get the fullbacks overlapping as an outlet for the hold up play, and so that our strikers are free to score instead of digging it out on the on the edge of the final third.  Need the strikers free to be marauding the box, not battling it out.

Edited by Indoor Owl

16 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Not on board with that either, to be honest!

It's a defense first approach with CC, sure; and while not the most exciting to watch with personnel that can't quite fit into the system, it'll be well suited to keep us in the PL when we go up this year.

I think we've added the right man at the back in Van Aken to finally get some urgency in our build up:

Building from the back and retaining possession isn't sexy football, but it controls the flow of the game.  Our problem has been the mind numbing slowness coming out of the back, with no intent (or ability) to get the ball into attack.  By the time we finally decide we're ready to go forward, the opposition is already settled in and found their shape to defend, and we just bang our heads against the proverbial wall.

Our new centre backs should mean some greater ability on the ball, and the ability to get the ball moved into attack much faster and more accurately, instead of it being every ball forward from defense means the strikers having to battle it out for the ball.  It also means our fullbacks can have some freedom to range forward and overlap.

I think this has been a really positive window.  If we can stay healthy (and even then, I think we have enough depth in the squad now) we're in fantastic shape in my opinion.

The defence and their distribution wasn't a problem the season before last, and it isn't now. Our major problem is CC's insistence on strangling the life out of games on the hope of nicking a 1-0 win

Edited by Stoop

9 minutes ago, Stoop said:

The defence and their distribution wasn't a problem the season before last, and it isn't now. Our major problem is CC's insistence on strangling the life out of games on the hope of nicking a 1-0 win

Have to disagree with you there.  

We seemed to spend far, far too much time cycling the ball around the back against a team completely settled in on defence only to eventually boot some poorly aimed 30 yarder forward and force the players forward to battle it out to try and win possession (which we didn't seem to win even fifty percent of the time).

I have no problem being patient and building from the back but you have to have some sort of purpose to it.

Edited by Indoor Owl

9 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Have to disagree with you there.  

We seemed to spend far, far too much time cycling the ball around the back against a team completely settled in on defence only to eventually boot some poorly aimed 30 yarder forward and force the players forward to battle it out to try and win possession (which we didn't seem to win even fifty percent of the time).

I have no problem being patient and building from the back but you have to have some sort of purpose to it.

We did have a purpose 2 seasons ago, we pressed and attacked with purpose and with numbers, completely opposite to what we do now