David Jones - good start to season

2 hours ago, Lord Nilsson said:

I've been really impressed with his performances this season. Think he's benefitting from a good run of games. I know quite a few other fans who've said the same thing.

Think Sam will struggle to get back in at this rate.

Like him a lot. Very neat, compact player who dovetails well with Bannan.

Our last 9 games with Bannan and Jones are Won 5 Drawn 4. That tells you a lot.

I desperately hope Hutch doesn't take his place. Even Lee, one of our best players and a great partner for Bannan, should struggle to get past Jones.

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Like him a lot. Very neat, compact player who dovetails well with Bannan.

Our last 9 games with Bannan and Jones are Won 5 Drawn 4. That tells you a lot.

I desperately hope Hutch doesn't take his place. Even Lee, one of our best players and a great partner for Bannan, should struggle to get past Jones.

you cant really argue with that ...but I bet someone will 

Smashing footballer David Jones, always liked him. Plays a slightly different role here to where he has before and has done it very well. I'm not sure it's a case of him or Hutchinson. I could see a system where Jones and Hutchinson could play in the same midfield.

He’s been one of the unsung heroes recently. Not spectacular showings but consistent. Does the dirty work and keeps it simple, winning the ball and giving it to the creative players. He’s filled in the “Hutch role” really well since he’s been out injured.

7 hours ago, LiamK2292 said:

He’s been one of the unsung heroes recently. Not spectacular showings but consistent. Does the dirty work and keeps it simple, winning the ball and giving it to the creative players. He’s filled in the “Hutch role” really well since he’s been out injured.

Really?................................when was that ?

This is Wednesday in a nutshell, an overall frenzy to push out any gamechanger in the squad (not you in particular Liam) and praising jouneyman who would probably raise about 500,000 in the transfer market to the rafters.

22 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

The fact we are even playing him is part of Carlos' failings in the transfer market in my opinion. Isn't dynamic enough. Comparing him to Hutch is hardly a help - he isn't good enough in the middle of the park either. 

Do CMs need to be dynamic?

Don't they just need to be successful?

Jones has succeeded in several clubs, and our record since he got partnered with Bannan in March has been excellent.

I don't think he is good enough for a starting place once everybody is fit, happy to have him in the squad though as we have needed him lately. Hutch, Lee, BB all better than him but Jones is needed if any of these are injured. Almen Abdi is the one I would gladly drive to another club, HUGE disappointment!

13 minutes ago, modboy said:

2.4 tackles a game cant be right surely?

If so it says a lot about our teams problems 

ps big fan of Jones here

It's right. 

Our team averages 15.6 tackles per game, which puts us 15th in the Championship for that particular stat so far this season. Having said that, twelve teams are bunched up between 14 and 16 tackles per game, so there's little in it between most Championship teams.

The most tackle-happy teams so far are Leeds and Millwall, who both average more than 20 tackles per game.

So when I saw the title of this I thought it was a comment about the last time we had a good start to the season in the Championship would have been under David Jones!

Onto the actual topic I think he's a 50/50 player some will like him some won't I haven't seen anything of great deal of importance that he has done but I think that is just his style of play.

It's taken me a while to get to like him but it seems to me that he is part of the reason Bannan has looked so much better recently. I think Jones and Bannan works better than Hutch and Bannan. He's still capable of having a stinker like he did against Sunderland (apart from the goal) but overall he's been better than I'd come to expect.

Good solid Team player, nothing fancy or flashy. Just gets on with doing what hes supposed to do to the best of his ability. Can't knock him. 

I remember when we used to say this about Kieron lee when SG moved into cm becouse we had a lack of resources. OK he's getting on a bit now, so he's not going to suddenly turn into a proper box to box goalscoring mid, maybe with a run of 10+ games in there we may realise how good he actually is, becouse one thing you can count on him to give you is  professional workman like performance for 90 mins.