David Jones - good start to season

I've always thought Jones was underrated by a lot on here.

He performs a very different role to Hutchinson: less blood and thunder, more sensible positioning and ball retention. It's far less eye-catching, but it serves an important purpose in many games. Despite his screamer against Sunderland, the main benefit of his inclusion seems to have been pushing Bannan higher up the pitch, allowing him to affect games in areas where his energy and creativity might actually hurt the opposition.

He'll rarely put in a game-changing performance, but with Lee, Abdi and Hutchinson all struggling for fitness at the start of the season, thank god we've got David Jones, eh?

this has got to be a wind up. jones is hopeless ,slow, cant tackle ,missed a sitter on Saturday ,scores about 1 goal a season I can go on. we need to forget about hutch,lee,abdi they are all very injury prone but clearly jones aint the answer id give him a free transfer. all other clubs are sorting there side out we doing nothing . top 2 here we come with bannan and jones in centre midfield give over please.

51 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

this has got to be a wind up. jones is hopeless ,slow, cant tackle ,missed a sitter on Saturday ,scores about 1 goal a season I can go on. we need to forget about hutch,lee,abdi they are all very injury prone but clearly jones aint the answer id give him a free transfer. all other clubs are sorting there side out we doing nothing . top 2 here we come with bannan and jones in centre midfield give over please.

It's interesting how some fans' perceptions of the game don't tally with reality, especially when it comes to a more subtle and less flamboyant player like Jones.

So far this season, he averages 2.4 tackles per game, which is second only to George Boyd; he's been dispossessed less than every player except Wallace and Boyd; he has the fewest bad touches of all our players, with 0.2 per game, compared to Abdi's 2 and Bannan's 1.6 per game; and he has an 85.1% pass success rate, which is second only to Abdi's.

He's the kind of player his teammates will appreciate, even if some fans don't.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's interesting how some fans' perceptions of the game don't tally with reality, especially when it comes to a more subtle and less flamboyant player like Jones.

So far this season, he averages 2.4 tackles per game, which is second only to George Boyd; he's been dispossessed less than every player except Wallace and Boyd; he has the fewest bad touches of all our players, with 0.2 per game, compared to Abdi's 2 and Bannan's 1.6 per game; and he has an 85.1% pass success rate, which is second only to Abdi's.

He's the kind of player his teammates will appreciate, even if some fans don't.

these kind of stats mean little or  nothing ,most of his passes are short,he cant tackle ,he don't get up and down pitch and break into box ,and apart from that wonder strike never scores. and what has abdi and boyd done this season to say he has better stats to them. forget computers xbox ps4 I see my football on the pitch and jones isn't a good enough player for what we need in midfield.

7 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

these kind of stats mean little or  nothing ,most of his passes are short,he cant tackle ,he don't get up and down pitch and break into box ,and apart from that wonder strike never scores. and what has abdi and boyd done this season to say he has better stats to them. forget computers xbox ps4 I see my football on the pitch and jones isn't a good enough player for what we need in midfield.

These kind of stats suggest that, contrary to what you think, Jones can indeed tackle and has done so more than all but one of our other players so far this season.

I'm not sure where games consoles fit into your argument, but although you say you 'see your football on the pitch', the facts suggest you're not looking very closely.

Don't be overly worried about your failure to see what's really happening out on the pitch in front of you, though; you're not alone in this - a few Owlstalkers think Jones is awful and below our level. The fact that he's played in four teams that have won promotion to the Premier League would suggest otherwise, but you'll never change some fans' minds, I suppose...

29 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

He has been more than good enough in the last 2 games.

We really need to aiming higher - he is a squad back-up at best.

He plays a position that requires not only the ability to play the easy ball, but actually to tackle and support the defence and strikers. He only does one of the three for me. 

Whilst Hutch isn't the perfect answer, if we had the luxury of a choice of anyone, he is a good option in this deep role, but his injury situation means we need to replace him as well.

Just now, Animis said:

We really need to aiming higher - he is a squad back-up at best.

He plays a position that requires not only the ability to play the easy ball, but actually to tackle and support the defence and strikers. He only does one of the three for me. 

Whilst Hutch isn't the perfect answer, if we had the luxury of a choice of anyone, he is a good option in this deep role, but his injury situation means we need to replace him as well.

agree

1 minute ago, JUNNY said:

He's been alright but thats just comparing with how shiyte he has been.. players that have been outstanding without the credit they deserve are Bannan, Hunt and Hooper

I'm not bannans biggest fan but he has played well this season,hunt has been hit and miss ,hooper same.

hunt and hooper are  hit and miss,loovens is to slow , hutch & lee are always injured , jones is crap,rhodes cant score ,reach couldn't cross the road , pudil's too slow, bannan plays too deep ,Wallace as no pace ,lees aint as good as 2 years ago , FF is a mardy git , abdi  doesn't do anything and the manager hasn't got a clue ......how the hell did we finish 4th last season 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

hunt and hooper are  hit and miss,loovens is to slow , hutch & lee are always injured , jones is crap,rhodes cant score ,reach couldn't cross the road , pudil's too slow, bannan plays too deep ,Wallace as no pace ,lees aint as good as 2 years ago , FF is a mardy git , abdi  doesn't do anything and the manager hasn't got a clue ......how the hell did we finish 4th last season 

Because of Leeds bad run towards end of last season according to someone on football heaven. lol