Abdi tonight

4 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

..in a midfield line-up that didn't work.

Don't talk rubbish mate. You're telling me that 'a midfield line up that didn't work' excuses him from working hard, playing proper passes and putting an half decent ball in the box? You're defending the inexcusable and you know it 

Defend his his performance against Sunderland? I dare you... 

Hes just not good enough, simple. A player on a massive decline. 

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, ramone said:

Don't talk rubbish mate. You're telling me that 'a midfield line up that didn't work' excuses him from working hard, playing proper passes and putting an half decent ball in the box? You're defending the inexcusable and you know it 

Defend his his performance against Sunderland? I dare you... 

Hes just not good enough, simple. A player on a massive decline. 

I'm not defending him. I said it's a waste of time judging his performance in a midfield that was never gonna work. With a midfield of Bannan, Abdi, Forestieri and Wallace, I'm not surprised Bolton had success on the counter. I could have bullied that midfield. No presence whatsoever.

We know it's not working for Abdi here. Injuries, poor form, a system that doesn't suit.. He's not the only one to struggle. But, at least put him in a midfield with the right ingredients to stand a chance. 

Wasn't Abdi signed to play alongside McGugan?

Is that where this thread is going? I guess a comment linking him with playing snooker with McGugan while the money keeps coming in will not be far behind.

As far as I can see he is the same player people creamed over when we signed him, but he got injured, has been in and out of the team with injury and has not been able to fit into the team because of reduced playing time due to, erm.., injury. Can we maybe have a ceasefire from the snipers until he is fully fit, playing in the first team and in a game or competition that we actually want to win. 

I do not believe for one minute that the continual downgrading of this cup competition and the lack of enthusiasm and commitment from the vast majority of clubs managers and players is not known by our fans. As much as I love watching Wednesday, I have only been to watch the home legs of these cups now for quite a number of years, because we rarely put on a performance.

There were a few positives for me from this one, like;- we did not pick up any bad injuries, a few players managed to get some game time in without affecting our league position, when we put the effort in we looked like we could score a goal or two, Jordan Rhodes got two different types of goals and hopefully can carry that into the league, Matias managed to pick out a peach of a pass for an assist after his disappointing shot, Joao showed potential employers that he can still be dangerous up front and add a bit of excitement to the attack, Pudil is growing into his job as centre half with every game, Carlos is passionate about his club and his team even in a match that meant very little to the club, so now we can get back to the main event and not be distracted with silly games that nobody other than a couple of thousand barmy Wednesdayites seemed to be that bothered about (hats off to you all for going, but why?).

Edited by Ante's Bubbly
Old age bad eyes and dyslexic fingers on my mobile phone!

31 minutes ago, ramone said:

Sorry but if you're trying to defend you clearly know nothing about football

Defend? 

He played poorly. Im not defending his performance. Neither am i defending the fact he was played as the anchor in midfield when he's not suited to it nor that he hasn't been anything other than a disappointment since he signed due to fitness, injury and not adapting. 

My point is to describe a player, who has previously shown his class with other teams as rubbish, is nonsense. Describe his performance as rubbish, fine. or his time with us, fine. But not his ability overall. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Defend? 

He played poorly. Im not defending his performance. Neither am i defending the fact he was played as the anchor in midfield when he's not suited to it nor that he hasn't been anything other than a disappointment since he signed due to fitness, injury and not adapting. 

My point is to describe a player, who has previously shown his class with other teams as rubbish, is nonsense. Describe his performance as rubbish, fine. or his time with us, fine. But not his ability overall. 

Not bothered what he's been like for other teams. His slate is wiped clean as soon as he walks into Hillsborough. Can you seriously sit there and say he's been nothing but rubbish since he signed for us? Which, lets face, is all that matters. Not his time with Watford

26 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I'm not defending him. I said it's a waste of time judging his performance in a midfield that was never gonna work. With a midfield of Bannan, Abdi, Forestieri and Wallace, I'm not surprised Bolton had success on the counter. I could have bullied that midfield. No presence whatsoever.

We know it's not working for Abdi here. Injuries, poor form, a system that doesn't suit.. He's not the only one to struggle. But, at least put him in a midfield with the right ingredients to stand a chance. 

Lee - Bannan

Our best midfield pair by a mile. And it kinds of rubbishes the excuse you're making for him. Its clear its another opportunity to get back handed digs in at the manager because you dont like him. But its not Carlos' fault Abdi didn't track runs etc. 

1 minute ago, ramone said:

Not bothered what he's been like for other teams. His slate is wiped clean as soon as he walks into Hillsborough. Can you seriously sit there and say he's been nothing but rubbish since he signed for us? Which, lets face, is all that matters. Not his time with Watford

I've stated twice now that i think he's been poor. I've given reasons as to why that may be the case, but i've said hes been poor.

But to just blanket describe his ability as rubbish is nonsense.

Would i play him for SWFC based on what i've seen so far? No, of course i wouldn't.  

6 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I've stated twice now that i think he's been poor. I've given reasons as to why that may be the case, but i've said hes been poor.

But to just blanket describe his ability as rubbish is nonsense.

Would i play him for SWFC based on what i've seen so far? No, of course i wouldn't.  

Then we agree? 

Guest wilyfox
11 minutes ago, ramone said:

Lee - Bannan

Our best midfield pair by a mile. And it kinds of rubbishes the excuse you're making for him. Its clear its another opportunity to get back handed digs in at the manager because you dont like him. But its not Carlos' fault Abdi didn't track runs etc. 

bolloxx it is. Lee-Bannan has it's weaknesses. Bannan has always been best on the left of a three or diamond. And half our fookin' team don't track runners. 

6 minutes ago, ramone said:

Then we agree? 

We agree on the fact that he hasn't performed since he joined. Absolutely. 

But I still rate his ability as a player, he needs to get match fit and prove he deserves a place in the side. If he gets that place, its up to him to keep it and perform. 

I wouldn't close the door on him just yet, but he's got it all to prove. Thats down to him now. 

6 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

We agree on the fact that he hasn't performed since he joined. Absolutely. 

But I still rate his ability as a player, he needs to get match fit and prove he deserves a place in the side. If he gets that place, its up to him to keep it and perform. 

I wouldn't close the door on him just yet, but he's got it all to prove. Thats down to him now. 

Had you ever heard of him before we signed him ? 

I admit I had not , although I am not a big follower of the premiership . 

12 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Said against Sunderland...none of our players look fit to be honest. Bannan aside lots look to be blowing after 25 minutes. 

I agree. That's got to be one of the reasons we only ever play for 45 minutes, usually the 2nd half.

20 hours ago, kristmace said:

Carlos tried something new tonight it seemed with Abdi sitting deep in the Jones/Hutch position. 

Didn't come off at all in my opinion. He jogged around a bit and made a few 5 yeard passes but I don't remember him sticking his foot in or getting out of 2nd gear to cover any ground. To be honest he still doesn't look any where near fit (unless that's his normal game!?)

He's come here with a big price tag and a big reputation but I'm starting to think we need to bite the bullet and just stick him with the U23s for a few months. His 3 performances this season have been way way off the pace. 

Abdi isn't a deep lying midfielder so no wonder it didn't come off. 

Classic CC selection and tactics.

So frustrating and largely the reason we haven't seen the best of Abdi.

Play him correctly and he will deliver - he has done so elsewhere and at a higher level too.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

I've not seen him have a good game for us.  I heard he had a good game away at Forest last year but didn't go. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get much more game time - it's getting to the stage whether the manager can trust him in a game.  The manager is under pressure to get results and if I was Carlos, I would only pick players that I trust. Abdi has done nothing to suggest he can be trusted in our midfield. 

Shouldn't be using our starting eleven to get players fit, even in a cup game. 

Get him him in the u23 squad until he's done a few consecutive 90 minutes in the position we want him to play in the first eleven. 

We we shouldn't be f*****g resting players less than one month into the season either FFS. Only reason they should be rested is when carrying an injury. Spend the first quarter of the season with our junk in our hands trying to work out how best to screw. Just play the best team until you have to change it. 

God damn it it frustrates me following this club sometimes. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Had you ever heard of him before we signed him ? 

I admit I had not , although I am not a big follower of the premiership . 

Yes and it's probably why I want it to work so badly for him, because he could be fantastic for us. 

However he really does now have it all to prove after a massively disappointing time so far.

fitness firstly, but then he has to perform if and when he gets a chance. If he doesn't perform, then it'll be a big shame and a big waste.