Abdi tonight

Guest wilyfox

Hard to judge. Bannan-Abdi doesn't work on paper - and didn't work in practice, especially with midgets either side. A midfield without physical presence will struggle to overcome even lesser sides in this division. Not surprised it cost us lastnight. Assessing Abdi's solo performance in such a line-up is a waste of time. 

5 hours ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

Bizarre. God only knows how much he must have regretted this move. He has gone from playing 30-35 Prem games with Watford, to playing CDM in our cup matches and sitting on our bench in the league. 

If you at his stats, he only played 90 mins in the Prem 5 times for Watford. Subbed off most games. He's not played week in week out since 2012 - 13.

http://uk.soccerway.com/players/almen-abdi/11491/

We've really had our pants down on this transfer. 

Edited by kristmace

10 minutes ago, kristmace said:

If you at his stats, he only played 90 mins in the Prem 5 times for Watford. Subbed off most games. He's not played week in week out since 2012 - 13.

http://uk.soccerway.com/players/almen-abdi/11491/

We've really had our pants down on this transfer. 

Because he was in that team to do a specific role- wide midfield, keep his discipline and keep them solid. He was subbed quite often for either fresh legs or because the game situation changed and they either changed shape or threw on a genuine attacker in his place.

Don't disagree with you it's been a disastrous signing for the financial outlay. 

But when CC signed him he said something like, 'Abdi and this team is like a hand in a glove' because we'd fit so well. He does not fit into this team, and CC changed the way we play immediately after we signed Abdi. 

It's just one of the weirdest signings in recent times. Sign a class international player for a specific role, immediately change our approach effectively making him redundant....end up playing him in a position he is totally ill suited for, because the rest of our recruitment has also been a disaster and we have nobody else to play there. 

I don't know if Abdi is a crock or not, but it's been a terrible signing because we have nowhere for him to fit in, regardless of whether he has been injured or not. 

Our recruitment is just bizarre at times under DC and CC. 

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

Firstly, anyone saying that Abdi is useless, that their Nan would do better etc know absolutely nothing about football. 

He's not fit, why don't people understand this? He had a big knee operation and wasn't fully recovered by pre season. He's still hampered by it now and has only in th last week stepped up his training from one every two days or less. 

Yes, he played poorly last night, but he was in very good company. 90 minutes will do him the world of good.

For professional footballers at this level, the excuse of 'playing out of position' does not wash with me. The difference between an attacking midfielder and a defensive midfielder is at best minimal. At some time during any game, a defender will be called upon to play both roles. This was shown as early, and probably earlier if truth be told, as Alf Ramsey's  'Wingless Wonders@ where his full backs became, when necessary, attacking wingers. 

He's got through 90 minutes.

I might stand alone, but given our shortages in the central areas. I think that can only be a good thing.

I thought he looked leggy again. As he did  against Sunderland.

I hope he can take confidence from getting through a full game and that he can use this as a foundation now to push on with his match fitness and sharpness.

We might have lost, but for the mind-set of a player who has been out as long as he has, with the months of being sat in the gym whilst the other lads are out on the practise pitch enjoying themselves I think it'll be a great boost to him that he's completed a full game.

Just now, Andrew6666 said:

Carlos's worst signing, probably the signing that will haunt him. £4 million on a player living off a reputation at another club who looks like he is made of glass. Cut our losses and get in a hardened Championship player. 

I doubt Carlos had the final word on it .

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Watford really did have our pants down when they got £4m from us for Abdi.

A complete and utter waste of a shirt.

We really should stay clear of signing players from Watford. Just like when we used to sign rubbish from Wolves.

What I dont get is when the Abdi fans say 'Give him a chance', 'Wait until he's fit' or 'Give him game time' - how long do we have to wait for any of that to happen, and every time he has had game time, he doesnt warrant anymore.

7 hours ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

Abdi wanted out at Watford so he could play in his favoured number 8/10 spot. 

Dropped down a division and a year later he finds himself sitting in front of the back 4 and seemingly ordered not to go past half way.

Bizarre. God only knows how much he must have regretted this move. He has gone from playing 30-35 Prem games with Watford, to playing CDM in our cup matches and sitting on our bench in the league. 

Ordered!?! I think it was just the fact he's not fit in the slightest. Neshed every tackle. Laboured back into position when he was caught out of it (a lot). Was looking to go off injured at any opportunity. 

Dreadful performance so

someone who promised so much when we signed him. I'm truly gutted his signing hasn't worked, I thought he'd be the difference. Watford had our pants down. It wouldn't surprise me if they're medical team we're A step ahead of the game and saw this decline coming. £4 million for him, wow. 

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Hard to judge. Bannan-Abdi doesn't work on paper - and didn't work in practice, especially with midgets either side. A midfield without physical presence will struggle to overcome even lesser sides in this division. Not surprised it cost us lastnight. Assessing Abdi's solo performance in such a line-up is a waste of time. 

Blinkered mate. He was absolutely garbage

2 hours ago, stowyowl said:

It will have been good for him to get 90 minutes but the performance wasn't great.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned his cross in about the 95th minute, when he was near the corner flag that he put out of play his side of the near post...

Yes god that was shocking and pretty much sums up his time at Wednesday 

2 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Firstly, anyone saying that Abdi is useless, that their Nan would do better etc know absolutely nothing about football. 

He's not fit, why don't people understand this? He had a big knee operation and wasn't fully recovered by pre season. He's still hampered by it now and has only in th last week stepped up his training from one every two days or less. 

Yes, he played poorly last night, but he was in very good company. 90 minutes will do him the world of good.

Sorry but if you're trying to defend you clearly know nothing about football