44-chuffing-2! Carlos talks tactics

442 it is then! With the players we have and how long the majority have been here playing the system I am expecting us to fly out of the blocks this year. We don't need many additions to make us the strongest squad in this league. There will be the majority of teams playing 442 in this league at the end it will come down to players. Compare our squad to others? One or two clubs might be buying A player  who might look exceptional but the rest of their squads are average at best. If players like Abdi, Hooper, Lee and Forestieri can play 40 games at their best this year we have more than a good chance of top two. 

43 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

4-4-2 can work.

But it won't work if you shove Bannan wide left, Forestieri up top or Hutch in the middle.

Lets have players playing in their proper positions.

All those things are likely to happen. If we were planning to play with two strikers and two out and out wide players, then surely Hutchinson would be viewed as a defender? The fact that we are looking for two centre backs, suggests that he isn't. We know Carlos likes the steel he brings to our midfield, but he isn't creative enough to play alongside Lee. Hence Bannan, nominally wide left, but looking to push in alongside Lee and Hutchinson, almost making a three. Bannan doesn't operate as a winger, he's the playmaker whether he plays centrally, or wide

30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Our results late in the season proved that we are more than capable of getting off to a flyer, even with that cautious mindset, or more likely because of it. My hope is, with better players, Boyd is one, but we'll see who else, we can interpret his ideas with a bit more flair. Also, the fact that the players will be better used to this way of playing now that we're a year down the line

My caveat included maintaining it which we couldn't last season. Better players and yes players being more accustomed will help as you say. For me there still has to be a change in mindset though. Good players freezing when going forward was a too oft occurrence last season which IMO was not just down to formation/tactics.

Nout wrong with 4-4-2. 

In saying that it makes me laugh that Wednesday managed to stumble across the one modern continental coach who likes four four f*cking two :duntmatter:

But at the end of the day it's about players and having the right (plus good) players to play in the system/style you choose. 

If we see more of the same as we saw too often last season I wouldnt give Carlos beyond October this season. He says we will be more attacking but I'll believe it when I see it.

The good thing is that it appears we are going to have a fairly settled squad with only one or two additions to the 1st team so all it needs is the right team selection and tactics. We have the players to scare the life out of opposition defences but if we spend the 1st 10 games stuck in 2nd gear again, slow, thoroughly predictable and making the same selection mistakes that others have highlighted on here I will be upset. Very upset.

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

4-4-2 can work.

But it won't work if you shove Bannan wide left, Forestieri up top or Hutch in the middle.

Lets have players playing in their proper positions.

Hutch not inthe middle? Where do you want him to be?

51 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

My caveat included maintaining it which we couldn't last season. Better players and yes players being more accustomed will help as you say. For me there still has to be a change in mindset though. Good players freezing when going forward was a too oft occurrence last season which IMO was not just down to formation/tactics.

Frankly, I don't think some of our players are as good as some of us think they are. Yes we have a large experienced squad, but a lot of them have seen better days. When I see comments about every other club in the division wishing they had our attacking assets, it makes me smile. In terms of numbers, yes maybe, in terms of personnel, I'm not so sure. For example, how much interest was there in Rhodes, even at a knock down price of £6m? In a championship awash with money, none, aside from a brief flirtation from the basket case that is Villa Even they decided he wasn't worth the £6m, and promptly spent twice that on Hogan.

My point is, we have a decent squad full of good players, and in terms of numbers it is bigger than most, but starting eleven quality, we still have a bit to do

Edited by gurujuan

Just now, gurujuan said:

Frankly, I don't think some of our players are as good as some of us think they are. Yes we have a large experienced squad, but a lot of them have seen better days. When I see comments about every other club in the division wishing they had our attacking assets, it makes me smile. In terms of numbers, yes maybe, in terms of personnel, I'm not so sure. For example, how much interest was there in Rhodes, even at a knock down price of £6m? In championship awash with money, none, aside from a brief flirtation from the basket case that is Villa Even they decided he wasn't worth the £6m, and promptly spent twice that on Hogan.

My point is, we have a decent squad full of good players, and in terms of numbers it is bigger than most, but starting eleven quality, we still have a bit to do

Yes we do but I maintain that we have quite a few players that can perform better with the ball than they showed last season. We'll have to finally agree to differ on Rhodes as its clear that my opinion of his ability is higher than yours as we know. This is not a pop at you but I have to smile at how the Rhodes fee contracts and expands to suit arguments often on here. I think that the initial fee might well be circa £6m with add ons. The impression is that 'Borough were holding out for considerably more which put off some suitors and that DC forged a deal at the death which if it was £6m I think will prove to be fantastic business. Just my opinion.

42 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

Yes we do but I maintain that we have quite a few players that can perform better with the ball than they showed last season. We'll have to finally agree to differ on Rhodes as its clear that my opinion of his ability is higher than yours as we know. This is not a pop at you but I have to smile at how the Rhodes fee contracts and expands to suit arguments often on here. I think that the initial fee might well be circa £6m with add ons. The impression is that 'Borough were holding out for considerably more which put off some suitors and that DC forged a deal at the death which if it was £6m I think will prove to be fantastic business. Just my opinion.

The only thing I'll say about Rhodes, whatever my opinion of his abilities, there was little interest from championship clubs, half of whom are more than able to meet that sort of fee. As for your first point, I agree, we do have players with more to offer, Joao, Matias, Rhodes himself and Abdi spring to mind. However, most of our players, being at the wrong end of their careers, aren't likely to improve individually, and that supposes players at other clubs won't also improve.

24 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

lol

Bannan played most of his first season on the left. Made it into championship team of year.

Bannan's best performances for us always come in the middle. Not sure if you watched last season but it was pretty depserate watching Bannan wide right/left. No width and resulted in him trying to play Hollywood balls all the time. Against the poor teams in this league we can get away with shoehorning players into not their natural positions. Against the teams who have a bit more about them we will be find out. Case in point? Look no further to the most recent play off defeats mate.

38 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

All those things are likely to happen. If we were planning to play with two strikers and two out and out wide players, then surely Hutchinson would be viewed as a defender? The fact that we are looking for two centre backs, suggests that he isn't. We know Carlos likes the steel he brings to our midfield, but he isn't creative enough to play alongside Lee. Hence Bannan, nominally wide left, but looking to push in alongside Lee and Hutchinson, almost making a three. Bannan doesn't operate as a winger, he's the playmaker whether he plays centrally, or wide

Personally for me Jones should be first name in that midfield, others will disagree but although unspectacular he knows his role and does the job required. He should play alongside Lee or Bannan in a 4-4-2.

Unfortunately I think Abdi will be off, can't see where he will fit into that midfield. Which is a crying shame and very frustrating.

12 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

He uses his fullbacks differently to most teams in order to do this. They actually tuck infield when City's defenders have the ball.

He did this about 4 times last season and soon realised it didn't work.

58 minutes ago, Jakes Grandad said:

442 it is then! With the players we have and how long the majority have been here playing the system I am expecting us to fly out of the blocks this year. We don't need many additions to make us the strongest squad in this league. There will be the majority of teams playing 442 in this league at the end it will come down to players. Compare our squad to others? One or two clubs might be buying A player  who might look exceptional but the rest of their squads are average at best. If players like Abdi, Hooper, Lee and Forestieri can play 40 games at their best this year we have more than a good chance of top two. 

Great points.

The players know the system and each other. And we have many first rate players.

Against Preston, QPR, Sunderland and Burton we should get off to a real flier. Fulham is tough, but apart from the reserve match in May we have the Indian-sign over them.