3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

At taking penalties.

Aye , also remember Nicky Weaver breaking the net against Chesterfield in cup at Hillsborough 

38 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Ron Springett was the most agile keeper I've ever seen. England international too.

Perhaps nobody else can remember that far back.

He was my boyhood hero. Top keeper probably our best in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Owl999 said:

Chris Kirkland was average at best, every manager knew he had lost his agility through injury by the time he was with us and capitalised on the fact, the amount of low shots he conceded is proof of that .

It didn't stop him being voted man of the match on many occasions. OK we were rubbish so it was easy for him to shine but I remember us being grateful he was between the sticks because he kept us in a lot of games.

Westwood is better but Kirkland was probably better than we deserved at the time.

I thought Pressman was overrated. Face like a mile of bad road as well. 

In my time the best 3 have been Hodge, Carson and Westwood. 

Westwood wins it, just, but Carson was outstanding. 

Can't disagree more.   For a big man, Pressman got down very quickly and had an agility that belied his large frame.     He was probably the best shot stopper of his generation, including Seaman at the time, what let him down maybe was a bit of an attitude and in dealing with crosses.   I think he had a rush of blood from time to time - fastest ever sending off was it that time?

He could have had easily 200 more appearances under his belt but Woods and Srnicek both gave him a run for his money.   Maybe because of attitude, I don't know - but neither were a better keeper.

His distribution was also far better then I have seen since, he could hit Bright's head pretty much every time, the same with Andy Booth.

Just now, raljex said:

I thought Iain Turner was even better than Carson while with us.

Interesting call that. Turner was very good. Just recall a game we had at Derby, could have been last game of the season. Carson was incredible. Missed his way that lad. Should have had a load more caps. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Even our loan keepers were decent.

Iain Turner and Scott Carson were good for us.

Turner was the first I can remember, started going when it was Hodge but I was to young. In that time Carson was probably the best, not saying he's had best career like but for what he gave us he was top draw, that Croatia game ruined him.

Edited by 1867Heaven

22 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Can't disagree more.   For a big man, Pressman got down very quickly and had an agility that belied his large frame.     He was probably the best shot stopper of his generation, including Seaman at the time, what let him down maybe was a bit of an attitude and in dealing with crosses.   I think he had a rush of blood from time to time - fastest ever sending off was it that time?

He could have had easily 200 more appearances under his belt but Woods and Srnicek both gave him a run for his money.   Maybe because of attitude, I don't know - but neither were a better keeper.

His distribution was also far better then I have seen since, he could hit Bright's head pretty much every time, the same with Andy Booth.

First two seasons he was understudy to Hodge and then shared three seasons with Chris Turner.  Add to that the time when Woods and Srnicek were there and he could easily have been record appearance maker.  Woods alone made more than 100appearances.  Pressman deserves lots of credit for seeing off and outlasting some pretty good keepers to be a Wednesday legend in his own right.

Just now, raljex said:

Both Chris Turner and Chris Woods got picked ahead of Pressman at times when Pressman was by far the better keeper.

Great achievement for Pressman that he managed to see both off. He could easily have left earlier in his career when he wasn't getting the game time. Far too good to have been an understudy throughout his career like some keepers have been.   Great he stayed