9 minutes ago, vulva said:

Pressman gets many votes because of his performances against United. Decent keeper, but flat footed. 

Don't buy the argument that Westwood hasn't done it at the top level. Don't think that argument works for keepers, unlike other positions. He hasn't got a weakness, other than possibly his injury record. Seems to pick up knocks. 

Some people have rose tinted specs.

You just talk out of your arse.

6 minutes ago, scram said:

So in your world a decent league 2 keeper with "no weaknesses" is equal to a top performing  keeper in the premier

How far down the pyramid do we go before ascertaining the level of a player?

I think some 'top' keepers get carried by the better defences. You can't tell me that likes of Mignolet, Howard, Valdes, Hennessy, Heaton, Gomes etc are any better than Westwood. 

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

I think some 'top' keepers get carried by the better defences. You can't tell me that likes of Mignolet, Howard, Valdes, Hennessy, Heaton, Gomes etc are any better than Westwood. 

No there not but then that begs the question why has no one been knocking our door down to sign him.

Just now, Blue and white said:

No there not but then that begs the question why has no one been knocking our door down to sign him.

That I can't answer. May be attitude, fitness etc? Mystery to me why he hasn't played more games for Ireland. It wasn't long back that Millwalls keeper was picked regularly in front of him. 

27 minutes ago, scram said:

So it was much easier for Hodge and Springett too then?

No point in comparison really then is there?

springett did it on the world stage so no doubting him ........hodge didn't so your  argument stands up with him ......there's no doubt that standards are higher today than 20-50 years ago ,they have to be because the influx of foreign keepers so while westwood hasn't done it at the top level It doesn't follow that he not as good pressie,turner, pete springett who all played 100's of games in the top flight .

7 minutes ago, vulva said:

That I can't answer. May be attitude, fitness etc? Mystery to me why he hasn't played more games for Ireland. It wasn't long back that Millwalls keeper was picked regularly in front of him. 

Liverpool is a classic example, he is better than anything they have and could seriously do a job for them, you'd think they would have been in for him and to be honest I'm more than surprised they haven't.

35 minutes ago, vulva said:

I can

And i will

Valdes has won everything in the game and then some for a start

All the others have played at the top for seasons and Mignolet kept KW out of Sunderlands team with considerable ease

I don't get, really don't get why some people seem to think that playing in goal means the best don't rise to the top like in other positions

6 minutes ago, scram said:

I can

And i will

Valdes has won everything in the game and then some for a start

All the others have played at the top for seasons and Mignolet kept KW out of Sunderlands team with considerable ease

I don't get, really don't get why some people seem to think that playing in goal means the best don't rise to the top like in other positions

I have no doubt that westwood & a few others in the championship could perform in the top flight ......clubs though tend not to do rotation when it comes to keepers and in all likelihood they would be sat on the bench at most clubs for all but the meaningless cup games at but i'd wager if he did go to 1 or 2 clubs if he got the chance to get a run in the team he'd be a hard man to shift .

As much as I love Westwood and think he's a fantastic GK at this level, he's come up short in his career so far at PL and international level 

I can't compare him with Kevin Pressman, I started attending regular circa 1996 and for me Pressman is the best keeper I've seen at S6 and probably by some distance 

46 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I have no doubt that westwood & a few others in the championship could perform in the top flight ......clubs though tend not to do rotation when it comes to keepers and in all likelihood they would be sat on the bench at most clubs for all but the meaningless cup games at but i'd wager if he did go to 1 or 2 clubs if he got the chance to get a run in the team he'd be a hard man to shift .

Im not saying KW couldn't play in the premier - i'm saying he hasn't

And somebody like Mignolet who seems to be much maligned (wrongly imo because he's a formidable keeper) has been seen as the better option when in direct competition with KW

Those keepers in the PL have earned their stripes - KW hasn't - its really that simple

And unless/until he does it's not a comparison to those that have imo

6 hours ago, scram said:

Im not saying KW couldn't play in the premier - i'm saying he hasn't

And somebody like Mignolet who seems to be much maligned (wrongly imo because he's a formidable keeper) has been seen as the better option when in direct competition with KW

Those keepers in the PL have earned their stripes - KW hasn't - its really that simple

And unless/until he does it's not a comparison to those that have imo

have to agree to disagree then because I think westwood is a better keeper than turner peter springett,bywater and few others of ours that have played top flight football,

During my time as a fan from late 1989 I would have to say Pressman was number 1 for me, followed by Turner, Srnicek and Westwood. Pressman was the first Wednesday keeper I saw and I loved him when he played for us, he had great reflexes for a big man. Turner I mostly remember fondly for his superman performances in the League Cup. Srnicek wasn't the biggest keeper but he was very agile, quick and unorthodox. Westwood in comparison is very reliable and a brilliant shot stopper with quick reflexes like those three but his style seems different to them, it's hard to compare different eras and levels but for me he's the best keeper we have had since Pressman. For me as a kid, Pressman was a exciting keeper that I look back at fondly for his determination, shot stopping and reflexes.

But all time I would put Ron Springett as by far the number 1 Wednesday keeper followed by the likes of Jack Brown; Teddy Davison, Jack Lyall, Martin Hodge and Kevin Pressman. From what I have seen, heard and read about Ron Springett he was a formidable athelete, with great handling and shot stopping, who commanded his box and had great catching ability and agility back in a time when the football was rock hard in comparison with the footballs of today. With the better gloves and softer football of today, it makes you wonder how immense a true great keeper like Ron Springett would have been today and just how much he would be worth by today's standard? But undoubtedly he's a true club and international goalkeeping legend.

13 hours ago, vulva said:

Jeez talk about blue & white tinted specs ! With the exception of Hennessey whos worse than Westwood all those keepers are better. It doesnt make you more of a fan to over rate our players. 

Edited by james o connor