A bit worried to say this on here as it shows my age,but Ron Springett was a bit special,England keeper when we had the best in the world by miles.No sugar frostie saves for the camera,he just held on to the ball.

Love the old films where he bounce it around the box before smashing it up the pitch,don't think Pep would have signed him.

22 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

First two seasons he was understudy to Hodge and then shared three seasons with Chris Turner.  Add to that the time when Woods and Srnicek were there and he could easily have been record appearance maker.  Woods alone made more than 100appearances.  Pressman deserves lots of credit for seeing off and outlasting some pretty good keepers to be a Wednesday legend in his own right.

I know Ron Atkinson was gutted to be the one to tell Pressman that he wasn't playing for the Rumbelows cup final.   Atkinson needed to give Pressman a kick up the backside, and I think it worked long term.

Chris Turner - others will know better than I.   I'm sure he was a steady keeper but I don't seem to remember much about him.   I know I've seen him play, but he never stuck in my memory.    Pressman on the other hand, he seemed to have a camera save every game no matter what.    

2 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

I still think Westwood is the best Keeper Ive seen at the club.

Not a dig but was Hodge and Pressman before your time. Westwood is a fantastic keeper and the best we've had in years, we are very lucky to have him. Hodge and Pressman were consistant performers at the highest level, for one reason or another Westwood hasn't hence why he is with us in the Championship and not the top end of the EPL.

Ron Springett who was way before my time was on a different level to anything we've had.

Like I said it's not a dig.

55 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Can't disagree more.   For a big man, Pressman got down very quickly and had an agility that belied his large frame.     He was probably the best shot stopper of his generation, including Seaman at the time, what let him down maybe was a bit of an attitude and in dealing with crosses.   I think he had a rush of blood from time to time - fastest ever sending off was it that time?

He could have had easily 200 more appearances under his belt but Woods and Srnicek both gave him a run for his money.   Maybe because of attitude, I don't know - but neither were a better keeper.

His distribution was also far better then I have seen since, he could hit Bright's head pretty much every time, the same with Andy Booth.

Listened to an interview with him once and he siad him and Wilson didn't get on, in fact if its true what he said and I have no reason to doubt him then his treatment at the hands of Wilson was nothing short of shamefull.

4 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

I know Hodge was a good keeper, I just about saw him play even though I was young.    I think I saw him once let a goal in straight from a goal kick though, that didn't go down very well at school with all the pigs taking the mick.

Coventry if memory is right.

I must add to my previous post by the way,I love Westy,good keeper ,never lets a mistake upset him and the defence trust him,and a rare thing in this day and age plays with a smile on his face.Unless Ron is suddenly coming back I'll stick O'Neils favourite goalie,not.

6 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Wondered if it was Ogrizovic but I wasn't sure if I was 1) correct or 2) how to spell his name!  (i'm still not sure!)

It was Ogrizovic, like you I couldn't remember how his name was spelt so I just said Coventry lol

Edited by Blue and white

25 minutes ago, scram said:

For me Westwood has to play and excel at the highest level in order to be compared to keepers who have

possibly but when keepers like hodge ,grummitt, & pressman played in the top flight there was far less competition for foreign keepers ...it's not so easy for westwood to break into the prem . chris turner was a good keeper who played 100s of games in the top division but when he was competeting against the like of jim Leighton at man utd and mark Prudhoe at sunderland it tells you the standards wernt quite as high back then .

55 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Not a dig but was Hodge and Pressman before your time. Westwood is a fantastic keeper and the best we've had in years, we are very lucky to have him. Hodge and Pressman were consistant performers at the highest level, for one reason or another Westwood hasn't hence why he is with us in the Championship and not the top end of the EPL.

Ron Springett who was way before my time was on a different level to anything we've had.

Like I said it's not a dig.

I watched loads of Pressman, I was a kid when Hodge was in the sticks so cant really remember him.

I think Westwood is a better all round Keeper.

The only difference is that Pressman played for us at the highest level, Westwood's not had the chance.

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

possibly but when keepers like hodge ,grummitt, & pressman played in the top flight there was far less competition for foreign keepers ...it's not so easy for westwood to break into the prem . chris turner was a good keeper who played 100s of games in the top division but when he was competeting against the like of jim Leighton at man utd and mark Prudhoe at sunderland it tells you the standards wernt quite as high back then .

So it was much easier for Hodge and Springett too then?

No point in comparison really then is there?

3 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Hodge and Westwood are the only ones you would mention in the same sentence as Ron Springett

Definitely Ron Springett was the best I've ever seen.  A world class keeper who was very unlucky that Gordon Banks was favoured by Sir Alf Ramsey in 1966.

Pressman gets many votes because of his performances against United. Decent keeper, but flat footed. 

Don't buy the argument that Westwood hasn't done it at the top level. Don't think that argument works for keepers, unlike other positions. He hasn't got a weakness, other than possibly his injury record. Seems to pick up knocks. 

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Pressman gets many votes because of his performances against United. Decent keeper, but flat footed. 

Don't buy the argument that Westwood hasn't done it at the top level. Don't think that argument works for keepers, unlike other positions. He hasn't got a weakness, other than possibly his injury record. Seems to pick up knocks. 

The argument does work for keepers.

Premier league forwards are deadly accurate, fast and decisive.