Hutchinson.

I was pleased when we started last season with Hutchinson at CB, and his performances there for those first few months were generally excellent.

Somehow though the partnership between him and Lees was less than convincing - in any case, Lees' performances weren't what we're used to.

And then when we moved him back into midfield and Loovens came back into the back four, the team did look better (admittedly without being great).

We definitely need to be bringing in at least one centre back, and probably two - but even so, I wouldn't be averse to Hutchinson being given another crack there. We do need a player that is capable of mixing it in midfield though if Hutch is to drop back - still, it would also be good if that player didn't sit as deep as Hutchinson often does when he's in midfield. Getting this balance right will be crucial for our chances next season, in my opinion.

On 22/06/2017 at 11:53, Adem Poric said:

I AGREE WITH LEE A

We also played our best football of the previous season when he was out ill and Lopez played.

He's a centre half. He's probably the best all round centre half at the club. I really hope we sign a midfielder that plays in his position.

One issue when he played at the back was that we played him left side. He is very right footed and struggled to play good forward balls from that position.

This was one of the reasons we were playing it across the back so much. 

More worrying we really missed Loovens and his calmness and leadership.Especially Lees who is twice the player with Loovens at his side

On 2017-6-22 at 12:17, Lee A said:

The greatest casualty of breaking my old tablet and having to buy a new one.

Didn't back up the Derrick/Darius/Dan folder.

Wait

SexyDan.jpg.d89f5de3d1274e2eafe4241330865b96.jpg

I noticed the fit bird on the cycle behind.... 

Then I noticed the flats outside maybe wi dodgy cladding (#get it sorted)!

7 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Probably the one outfield player in our squad who realistically could play regularly in the premier league imo

Despite the fact according to some having an opinion makes you a 'willy puller' I'll explain my views again. 

For me without the chronic injuries his career probably would be better. As it stands I don't think he's in out best 11 so obviously I don't think he should be in the premier league. We play Better when he's injured . I'm not stupid enough to think it's solely down to him I just don't see where he fits in. 

I really like the him as a player and he seems a top bloke but he is not a premier league player. Sorry if that makes me scum of the earth , just stating my opinion. 

Edited by james o connor

Guest Kagoshimaowl
16 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Despite the fact according to some having an opinion makes you a 'willy puller' I'll explain my views again. 

For me without the chronic injuries his career probably would be better. As it stands I don't think he's in out best 11 so obviously I don't think he should be in the premier league. We play Better when he's injured . I'm not stupid enough to think it's solely down to him I just don't see where he fits in. 

I really like the him as a player and he seems a top bloke but he is not a premier league player. Sorry if that makes me scum of the earth , just stating my opinion. 

You are not a Willy puller mate.  However, you are completely wrong.  Hutchinson was our best player last season.  He is VITAL for the way we play.  If we sign a hardman in midfield to play in his position then I'm  fine with him going back to centre back or even right back as he's better than both Hunt and Palmer.  I do honestly think that he could play in the Premier League.  Without the injuries he'd already be there...probably still with Chelsea.

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

6 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

You are not a Willy puller mate.  However, you are completely wrong.  Hutchinson was our best player last season.  He is VITAL for the way we play.  If we sign a hardman in midfield to play in his position then I'm  fine with him going back to centre back or even right back as he's better than both Hunt and Palmer.  I do honestly think that he could play in the Premier League.  Without the injuries he'd already be there...probably still with Chelsea.

I hear what you are saying but not even thinking about ability no premier league team would take him hence he's here. 

Re performance our best form coincided with him being  injured . He comes back and we are rigid and predictable again. 

I don't think he's a bad player by any stretch and sometimes he's worth his weight in gold (Newcastle away) but he's by no means our best player so he sure as anything isn't going to be snapped up by a team in the league above . 

Take Huddersfield , surely favourites to come last. Their midfield is considerably better than ours 

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

Not sure if that's aimed at me but I never abuse people and welcome opinions different to mine where they are thought through and sensible.

Actually I agree that our system doesn't really suit playing Hutch in a 4-4-2. We end up too deep and too much attacking responsibility then sits on the other player in the middle. He's always does what he's asked to do impeccably though - i.e. shield the back 4. In a midfield 5 he would be great as he'd sit deep whilst the other 2 had attacking responsibility.

definitely prem material whether that be at centre back or in midfield ..

yes he goes deep with us, but is that how we play, how he's instructed to play, or because he wants to be on the ball pulling the strings and our centre backs are only useful at lumping the ball forward.

Sam is the most competitive , committed player we have for me . I admire and wince watching him tackling at times . Do we function better without him ? I think so , we need a couple more like him with a bit of flair too  in the side to make a difference I reckon . Don't go along with him at Centre Half he isn't commanding in the air for me . love him though .

There is no doubt Hutchinson is a good player, however when he plays in midfield we drop too deep and lack the creativity we need going forward. I think he would be better at the back , would like to see Abdi, Lee, Nando +1 fast winger in midfield

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

When Hutch plays CM for me the whole side suffers, he sits too deep. 

At centre back his partnership with Lees seemed dodgy.

Individually he always performs, but I don't think we look balanced with him in the side. Particularly if we persist with a 4-4-2. 

But this is up to the other players to perform and do their jobs.

Their were many games last season where Hutch was our best player by a mile.

eg Newcastle away Hutch was fantastic, others played well and we looked a good side

Barnsley and Rotherham at home.  Hutch was brilliant but the others in midfield went awol and Hutch got us 6 points on his own

I accept he plays the role slightly deeper, I think this is under instruction to look after himself physically, but he does a good job.

It annoys me when others play poorly, don't do their jobs and the blame on here gets laid at Hutch's door

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

But this is up to the other players to perform and do their jobs.

Their were many games last season where Hutch was our best player by a mile.

eg Newcastle away Hutch was fantastic, others played well and we looked a good side

Barnsley and Rotherham at home.  Hutch was brilliant but the others in midfield went awol and Hutch got us 6 points on his own

I accept he plays the role slightly deeper, I think this is under instruction to look after himself physically, but he does a good job.

It annoys me when others play poorly, don't do their jobs and the blame on here gets laid at Hutch's door

Hutch picks the ball up to deep, it should be the centre backs job to bring it forward. Whether this is under instruction or it's because Lees and Loovens can't be trusted to bring the ball forward and find a pass, I don't know. But a midfielder shouldn't be that deep in a 4-4-2, it's negative and why we saw so many turgid displays going forward in a lot of games last season. 

I love Hutch and his all action displays have won us games in the past but the set up makes the team suffer more often than not in my opinion. For me it's no coincidence we looked stronger, more balanced and won 6 on the bounce with Hutch out the side.