Grant Hanley and Daniel Ayala

2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

According to the article, Hanley has four years left on £45k/week. So if we take on his contract, with zero transfer fee, it'd cost us £9m. I'd say that's about the limit we should of pay. So Hanley needs to take a big pay cut and/or Newcastle need to cut their losses, significantly.

And if we were to give Hanley £45k, I hope the club are wary of the possible impact on other players in the squad.

Bet they never thought of that !

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

I think Hanley was 5m, but you're right he would be very expensive. There must be more cost effective options?

He would be pricey, but Id rather have the best we can afford, rather than the cheapest, or even one in the middle

4 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

According to the article, Hanley has four years left on £45k/week. So if we take on his contract, with zero transfer fee, it'd cost us £9m. I'd say that's about the limit we should of pay. So Hanley needs to take a big pay cut and/or Newcastle need to cut their losses, significantly.

And if we were to give Hanley £45k, I hope the club are wary of the possible impact on other players in the squad.

I  think you've got to include a 5 million fee that we'd likely have to pay on top of his wages. Newcastle paid 5.5 million for him so I can't see them taking much less.

Not anything like thisvalue IMO. Makes Fletcher look like a steal.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

4 hours ago, Holmes said:

Radio Sheffield confirmed this at lunchtime today 

24 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Radio Sheffield confirmed this at lunchtime today 

Yes & Giddings says we're hoping for transfer movements next week. Tho that is the case for most clubs with players returning from foreign holidays to sort out their futures before training restarts 

38 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yes & Giddings says we're hoping for transfer movements next week. Tho that is the case for most clubs with players returning from foreign holidays to sort out their futures before training restarts 

Be nice to think we could get all our deals done before pre season training starts

40 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I  think you've got to include a 5 million fee that we'd likely have to pay on top of his wages. Newcastle paid 5.5 million for him so I can't see them taking much less.

Not anything like thisvalue IMO. Makes Fletcher look like a steal.

My point exactly.

If Newcastle paid £5.5m for a player they want rid of, they might accept £4-5m. Would Hanley accept a 50% cut in his pay to help finance the deal? I doubt it. 

It seems that either:

we (or another club) pay well over what he's worth (in my opinion); or

he sees out a year or four in the reserves counting his money.

Are we that daft or desperate?

38 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

My point exactly.

If Newcastle paid £5.5m for a player they want rid of, they might accept £4-5m. Would Hanley accept a 50% cut in his pay to help finance the deal? I doubt it. 

It seems that either:

We offered £4-2 last year I believe, and that's what I think we'd be looking to pay this time around. Wages, I have no idea

I can see Newcastle loaning him out. He hardly played last season so to regain his stock probably needs some game time and takes away some of his salary. 

Like with Boro and Rhodes they'll struggle to find a team willing to spend on fee and wages. 

38 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I can see Newcastle loaning him out. He hardly played last season so to regain his stock probably needs some game time and takes away some of his salary. 

Like with Boro and Rhodes they'll struggle to find a team willing to spend on fee and wages. 

Derby, who might now be out of the market, offered them £4m didn't they?

Just now, gurujuan said:

Not sure. I'd be shocked if they did on top of Curtis Davies though. Especially after reading they'd sell ince to ballence books. 

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If they did then Newcastle clearly didn't accept that and are looking for more. I would like to see Wednesday look elsewhere and spend the money more wisely.

28 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

My mates a newcastle season ticket holder and says every time hes played hes looked dodgy at best! Hes not worth the money were going to have to pay ro get him

39 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If they did then Newcastle clearly didn't accept that and are looking for more. I would like to see Wednesday look elsewhere and spend the money more wisely.

At £5-5, I think he's overpriced, but anything under £4-5 is about right. If we can find better for less, then sure, why not Not keen on a lesser player, just because he might be cheaper though

4 hours ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Burnley will be looking for a centre-half when they sell Keane - two CHs if they sell Mee as well.

Always doom and gloom aren't you. You might say realistic but I say doom and gloom

lol

1 hour ago, Tamworthowl said:

My point exactly.

It seems that either:

Every time ive seen blackburn i thought Hanley looked good when he had Duffy beside him , but not half the player after Duffy went to Brighton. wouldnt want to be spending £4m + on him. 

41 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Every time ive seen blackburn i thought Hanley looked good when he had Duffy beside him , but not half the player after Duffy went to Brighton. wouldnt want to be spending £4m + on him. 

Did he even play for Blackburn after Duffy left?

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

He would be pricey, but Id rather have the best we can afford, rather than the cheapest, or even one in the middle

Is he the best though? Newcastles defence wasn't great/commanding at times and he didn't get a game.

58 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Is he the best though? Newcastles defence wasn't great/commanding at times and he didn't get a game.

I don't know, it depends who our other targets are For me, he's better than Keogh and Morrison, but yes, it is a lot of money You know it isn't my idea of how I want us to play, I'd rather us play a totally different system However, if we want to play 4-4-2, I'd rather us get the players in to do that When Brighton signed Duffy, I was sceptical, but in fact, a big no nonsense defender was just what they needed