Grant Hanley and Daniel Ayala

Hanley isn't but Lees is and we need a giant stopper to give Tom the cover to go forward more.

Also, we concede way too many goals in t'air, or from hisg crosses we don't win.

Will also take pressure off midfield and attack, a little.

Think Hanley maybe best around, if Newcastle either loan and pay half his wages or accept a couple of million.

Also, played well in his 15 games for them , according to locals.

Alternatively, nick Barnsley's next centre back buy as they have an amazing record - Spurs now after Mawson.

And don't forget, Harry Mc was only £5 mill last Summer......  

2 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Hanley isn't but Lees is and we need a giant stopper to give Tom the cover to go forward more.

Id have to disagree there. 

I purposely made the effort to watch Lees distribution from CB last season and it was poor. A lot of time the midfield or forwards were in decent positions and his passes were terrible. 

4 minutes ago, Pod9 said:

I purposely made the effort to watch Lees distribution from CB last season and it was poor. A lot of time the midfield or forwards were in decent positions and his passes were terrible. 

I have to agree, Lees distribution is terrible, and when he does actually find his man its usually chest or neck high

making it difficult to get under control, by which time the opposing player has nipped in and taken the ball off his man.

Thanks guys, I was thinking more about Lees stepping into midfield with ball so compressing play, attracting opponents and then giving to a playmaker, nearby.

But your knowledge of his passing better much than mine so maybe Gordon Watson was right. We need 2 more quality centre backs.

Lees is decent enough in most areas but think if he remains a key starter we'll get either a big lump in or someone who can pass a ball.

To get a player capable of both is probably Lewis Dunk money.

Think Hutch and Lees could still end up first choice with a reasonable back up or Loovens.Someone like Harlee Dean would be a decent player if we are going to start with a new defender but he'll be costly.Was happy with Morrison at Cardiff also.

27 minutes ago, Pod9 said:

Totally agree poddy. 

For all his postives Ives his distribution certainly isn't one of them 

Obviously I'd prefer a defender who is good at tackling and heading, but I think in the modern game there is much more to being a good defender than that. If your centre back is constantly giving possession to the other team then they will be winning possession more in dangerous areas and ultimately be attacking more and will score more goals. Our current defence is one of our most successful in our history, despite them not being blood and guts players in the style of Mick Lyons or Nigel Pearson. Those types of defenders are going out of fashion - e.g. Tommy Elphick was a flop at Villa. Also, if your centre back is no good on the ball the other team can sit back when he has possession and put 10 men behind the ball (which happened all too frequently last season). If he can pick out a good pass then the opposition attackers will be told they must close him down when he has the ball, this a) tires them out and b) means they must push a bit further up the pitch leaving more gaps in behind.

But as Loovens gets older we need to look for a replacement. I don't particularly rate Hanley, I think Morrison could do a job for us but again would prefer someone with better distribution. I wonder, rather than spending 3 million on Morrison, if we should get the chequebook out and spend a little bit more on a higher quality CB like Danny Batth or Pontus Jansson? But I believe (mind I haven't seen him play all that often) that Ayala is better in possession than any of them will being comparable in terms of heading and tackling. It would be a cheeky bid, but if we could nick an unsettled player from a promotion rival it could prove a masterstroke.

2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

In my opinion we need TWO tall centre backs , no nonsense defenders . we concede too many goals from set pieces . we dont have enough height in the team . 

This absolutely, and if we want someone to play it out from the back, then look no further than Hutchinson

Hanley is pap. he's been absolutely dire for Scotland and has hardly played for Newcastle even though they spunked a boat load of money on him

We need to be looking at that Manga from Cardiff. he's on a free isn't he?

edit** just seen he's signed a new deal at Cardiff ..

Edited by Hack-Abusi

On 6/26/2017 at 18:55, oldishowl said:

I must admit being rough, tough proper defenders who win headers in both boxes would be higher up my list for any new centre halves rather than whether they can pass it

Me too. We have midfielders comfortable in possession who can receive the ball deep if necessary and distribute it from there.