Grant Hanley and Daniel Ayala

10 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I don't know, it depends who our other targets are For me, he's better than Keogh and Morrison, but yes, it is a lot of money You know it isn't my idea of how I want us to play, I'd rather us play a totally different system However, if we want to play 4-4-2, I'd rather us get the players in to do that When Brighton signed Duffy, I was sceptical, but in fact, a big no nonsense defender was just what they needed

I agree we need a big no nonsense type, but the likes of Morrison and perhaps Bartley and others fall into that category too. Hanley is no doubt a player who can come in and do well like Lees did after a tough time at Leeds but as soon as someone comes to Newcastle, Villa or to a lesser extent Wednesday their wages become over inflated.

45 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I agree we need a big no nonsense type, but the likes of Morrison and perhaps Bartley and others fall into that category too. Hanley is no doubt a player who can come in and do well like Lees did after a tough time at Leeds but as soon as someone comes to Newcastle, Villa or to a lesser extent Wednesday their wages become over inflated.

Yes,big problem

Do we really need a big no nonsense defender?  We had a great defensive record last year but that was in part because our midfield mostly sat deep and going forwards our midfield were often looking to pick the ball up in out final third.  I think this held us back going forwards.  A better ball playing centre half would allow us to break faster and distribute to the midfield further up the pitch. 

50 minutes ago, simo said:

Both players not good enough, why weren't they regulars in the starting line ups of their present clubs? 

Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri, Reach and Rhodes all weren't starting for their clubs when we signed them.

Are they not good enough either?

10 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

I still think Daniel Ayala would be the best fit for us out of the two. He's more composed, solid and experienced. Plus he was one of the stand out defenders at this level a couple of years ago.

True. but he would be the most difficult out of the two to get. Can't imagine Monk is going to let Ayala go to us no more than we would let Westwood go to them.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

True. but he would be the most difficult out of the two to get. Can't imagine Monk is going to let Ayala go to us no more than we would let Westwood go to them.

That's probably true, although whether Ayala does go or not is probably dependent upon Monk being able to bring in his top targets, such as Bartley?

59 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

I still think Daniel Ayala would be the best fit for us out of the two. He's more composed, solid and experienced. Plus he was one of the stand out defenders at this level a couple of years ago.

This - Hanley is an absolute clown.

6 minutes ago, ramone said:

This - Hanley is an absolute clown.

From what I have seen of him, I don't rate him either. Hanley and Keogh seem too sloppy to me and wouldn't suit us. Although personally I wouldn't want us to sign Morrison, I think Morrison and Ayala make more sense, due to their leadership quality, experience and heading, and in Ayala's case also solidity and composure.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

1 minute ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

From what I have seen of him, I don't rate him either. Hanley and Keogh seem too sloppy to me and wouldn't suit us. Although personally I wouldn't want us to sign Morrison, I think Morrison and Ayala make more sense, due to their leadership quality and heading, and in Ayala's case also solidity and composure.

They're all a bit of a much of a muchness, but Hanley is the only left footer

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

They're all a bit of a much of a muchness, but Hanley is the only left footer

Why do you say much of a muchness, I wouldn't include Ayala in that statement? Because Ayala has got the most pedigree and experience out of those. Don't forget only a couple of seasons ago he was voted Championship player of the season. Personally, I think he's by far the best out of all the linked centre backs.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble