Forestieri Left Wing Starts

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

The devil in me cant resist posting these "stats" I found poking around this morning.

Here's all the games Nando has started LW.

15/16

Wolves 4-1

Brum 3-0

Fulham 1-0

Burnley 1-1

Brentford 4-0

PNE 0-1 (Red at nil-nil)

Cardiff 3-0

16/17

Brentford 1-1

Wigan 2-1

Forest 2-1

Brum 3-0

Norwich 5-1

Burton 1-1

Combined Pl 13. W9. D3. L1 

And the best is yet to come..........Wait for it.............

GF 30

GA 8

Utterly blows my small mind.

Unless someone can come up with a better explanation that me, there can only be two possibilities.

1. Carlos is a near genius, and has picked the only 13 matches where Nando would help tear sides apart.

or 

2. He is under-using this option and is not getting the best out of one of our best players.

(I have chosen not to confuse the data by adding in all the games where Nando has switched from striker to LW mid match and massively upped team success and fan enjoyment)

Alternatively, one could argue that all of those wins were against very weak sides

17 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Oh great, this again.

:manager:

Not even you could argue the throw with this... I opened the thread and was scrolling through it waiting for you to poo poo it :picnic:

I'm a big believer that Forestieri's best position is on the left. It allows him to face up the opposition defence and run at them. Thats what he's best at. He's not a 'back to goal' player. He often gets crowded out and is just plain ineffective playing up top. His work rate allows him to get up and down as well.

He can be our Knockhaert (spelling) 

2 minutes ago, robswfc said:

Alternatively, one could argue that all of those wins were against very weak sides

Thats my question though Rob.

Did Carlos hand-pick the only 13 games out of over 80 in which it would have worked?

Said it in another thread and will say it again here. 

If we can get the team in a formation that just unleashes Forestieri every match we will be promoted next season. However I don't believe it's him on the left, as Carlos ain't dumb and if it's as simple as suggested we would have been promoted already. 

2 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Dare I suggest there's something contracted or at least agreed to play him there more often? 

I cant see our current Chairman issuing a contract with something like this in it. I just cant.

And if this is the case (which I very much doubt it is) then I'm sorry but sack him off. Its a team game and nothing is more important than the team. 

47 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

The problem is ...where does FF think he should play..........if he does not want to play wide left then we are f8ck£d.......if he wants to play up front we are f8ck£d......he has to play where it is proved he is more effective NOT where he thinks he should play

When Forestieri is manager he can play where he wants. But has FF actually said he wants to play as a striker or is it one of those  Stalk rumours that become fact?

FF is our most talented player and he needs to be involved in the game. I'd start him on the left but give him a complete free role

1 hour ago, captain bucky o'hare said:

He should NEVER play in a front two for as long as we have the striking options that we currently have. Left wing proved to be a very good fit the previous season. It's just one example of us trying to fix something that wasn't broken rather than benefit from a lesson learned the previous season. Does he throw his toys out the pram when he's asked to play there?

He is our Knockeart, and on his day he's as good as Knockeart. Everyone is crying out for Carlos to bring in some pace to the side, rightly so, but direct, ball carrying players like Fernando are what turns our play from pedestrian to threatening and incisive.

100% this. he is under contract and should play where he is told. I am sick of player power in this day and age. you play where you are told end off if you don't do a mcougan lol. no seriously him and reach on the left as options is the best moving forward next season. we have two many options up front to make things worse adding nando to the mix 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

The devil in me cant resist posting these "stats" I found poking around this morning.

Here's all the games Nando has started LW.

15/16

Wolves 4-1

Brum 3-0

Fulham 1-0

Burnley 1-1

Brentford 4-0

PNE 0-1 (Red at nil-nil)

Cardiff 3-0

16/17

Brentford 1-1

Wigan 2-1

Forest 2-1

Brum 3-0

Norwich 5-1

Burton 1-1

Combined Pl 13. W9. D3. L1 

And the best is yet to come..........Wait for it.............

GF 30

GA 8

Utterly blows my small mind.

Unless someone can come up with a better explanation that me, there can only be two possibilities.

1. Carlos is a near genius, and has picked the only 13 matches where Nando would help tear sides apart.

or 

2. He is under-using this option and is not getting the best out of one of our best players.

(I have chosen not to confuse the data by adding in all the games where Nando has switched from striker to LW mid match and massively upped team success and fan enjoyment)

A couple more to add for 15/16; he started on the left against Bolton at home and Blackburn at home - both of which we won, and he scored against Bolton too.

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

A couple more to add for 15/16; he started on the left against Bolton at home and Blackburn at home - both of which we won, and he scored against Bolton too.

I decided to stick with the Transfermarkt version of where he played, but yes when I did this last season I used Bolton and Blackburn.

So

Pl 15. W11. D3. L1 

Goals For 35. ( in 15 matches.....what would you give to watch that most weeks?)

Goals Against 11.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

I decided to stick with the Transfermarkt version of where he played, but yes when I did this last season I used Bolton and Blackburn.

So

Pl 15. W11. D3. L1 

Goals For 35. ( in 15 matches.....what would you give to watch that most weeks?)

Goals Against 11.

11 goals conceded in 15 games ! Booooo! Get rid lol

2 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

11 goals conceded in 15 games ! Booooo! Get rid lol

I have never understood the criticism he gets about hanging his full-back out to dry.

Does he occasionally watch the clouds? Yes.

Does he tackle like an attacker? Yes.

But does he put a shift in up and down that left hand side? God yes!

One of the features of our play last year was Bannan, FF and Lee chasing as a pack and nipping st the feet of the ball-carrying oppo. I loved that. It got the ball back so quickly and high up the field, and it got the crowd going too.

This is another compelling stat which should be oil painted onto one side of a monastic diptych with the "3 centre mids" stat on the other and presented at a pitchside ceremony to CC and the chairman at the start of the season. 

The local Bishop and a selection of monks of every religious stripe could then intone a chant of 

"P the League" in seven languages as trays of Mrs Halls sausage rolls are distributed among the crowd.

PM to Carlos: "don't get messy when you know what's best/ we all know it's better with Fessi on the left"

2 hours ago, slinger208b said:

But Fernando has stated he prefers to play up front.

Dare I suggest there's something contracted or at least agreed to play him there more often? 

I think the issue is about keeping him content at the club...

I couldnt care less where he thinks he should play. He would be lucky to be even in the 11 with some of his performances 

3 hours ago, ramone said:

Not even you could argue the throw with this... I opened the thread and was scrolling through it waiting for you to poo poo it :picnic:

I'm a big believer that Forestieri's best position is on the left. It allows him to face up the opposition defence and run at them. Thats what he's best at. He's not a 'back to goal' player. He often gets crowded out and is just plain ineffective playing up top. His work rate allows him to get up and down as well.

He can be our Knockhaert (spelling) 

Eh? Why not? 

We've argued the throw over these same stats over and over and over..

Holmowl has (once again!) highlighted the fact that we've won some football matches with FF on the left wing. And that's all.