Director of football

Guest Arnold
15 minutes ago, Blatter said:

He had Wallace, Reach, Buckley, McManaman and Sougou. Plenty there to fit whatever style of play you might want.

He played reach and wallace regularly. Sougou was rubbish. Wasn't impressed with Buckley. Mcmanaman should have been given more of a chance thou.

Just now, Earlsfieldowl said:

Unless McLaren was prepared to play wide left ...

Alan Pardew left back

Paulo Di Canio right wing (yes I know)

The Beast from Beauty and the Beast central midfield. We've been tracking him for two seasons btw.

16 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The Barry Bannan who made the majority of his Premier League appearances as a wide midfielder?

That Barry Bannan?

In fairness Bannan never nailed down a position at Villa and that's why he got ditched. He was in the reserves at Palace when we came for him.

I know we had some joy with him there last season but he tucks in and is not a wide midfielder. Always looks far better in the centre to me but I'm not sure who his best partner is. Where do you think his best position is?

19 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I've long been convinced that Carlos is not in control of transfer policy at S6. The fact that his title is "Head Coach" rather than "Manager" also reinforces this belief.

If he is indeed in charge of transfer policy, then what qualifies him to do this? He's spent his entire career in Europe working under regimes where transfers aren't exclusively determined by the man in charge of the first team.

I would welcome the appointment of someone to at least guide transfer policy; be that a Director of Football, Sporting Director or Head of Recruitment*

*As long as it's not Steve Mcclaren

Doesn't make sense.

If true, DC has bought Rhodes, Winnall and Abdi, loaned Macca and Buckley, and allowed his manager to play none of them. 

That said, I find it bizarre even if Carlos chose them, that DC is allowing Carlos to buy "just 4 or 5" shiny new ones, when he doesn't play the ones he bought recently.

Edited by Holmowl

2 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

In fairness Bannan never nailed down a position at Villa and that's why he got ditched. He was in the reserves at Palace when we came for him.

I know we had some joy with him there last season but he tucks in and is not a wide midfielder. Always looks far better in the centre to me but I'm not sure who his best partner is. Where do you think his best position is?

Bannan's more than capable of playing as a wide midfielder - he's done so for us on many an occasion, and in the Premier League on 39 of his 69 appearances at that level. Wide midfielders who tuck in are an important part of many a manger's tactical plan, especially in these modern times when the onus is shifting towards fullbacks to provide the attacking thrust down the flanks.

Personally, I'd say his best position is in the centre of the park, preferably not picking up the ball too close to our defence, but that's not to say that he's not plenty good enough as a wide midfielder when asked to play that role on behalf of the team.

The idea that a player who played most of his career at the top level as a wide midfielder is incapable of playing a similar role for us is laughable, yet it seems to have become a common Owlstalk theme when it comes to both Bannan and Abdi.

You lot on here sometimes.. jesus...

Has literally everyone forgotten the committee with Glenn roeder? 

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-s-committee-trimmed-as-glenn-roeder-heads-through-exit-door-1-7631792

Only one survivor aside from DC, Carlos. Do you really think he'll be worried about perennial losers like mclaren rucking up to watch a game?

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

1....B? 

:duntmatter:

Well, here goes:

1) Enjoying a free buffet and hopefully nothing more.

B) As long as the right person can be brought in, I'd say yes. They'd need to be able to work well with both Chansiri and Carlos, but if they were able to help identify and recruit players with the attributes we need, then it wouldn't be the worst idea.

Isn't that what Roeder was supposed to be doing?

Please note that all those Owls who think he is coming to SWFC, he was actually commentating on BBC Radio 5 live and Tinternet. 

See comments in link if one wants proof and thats why he was at H.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/39697469

I am sure DC would not let him near his office, he's got more sense, think he has learnt from the first committee episode.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The Barry Bannan who made the majority of his Premier League appearances as a wide midfielder?

That Barry Bannan?

No, I think we must be talking about a different Barry Bannan I'm afraid. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's OK then; for a minute there it looked like you were spouting b*llocks.

:duntmatter:

Bannan can certainly play wide right and do a job. In fact sometimes he's pretty effective there like the last game against Huddersfield. The problem is it typically comes at the expense of offering any kind of threat down the right hand side. That was ok the season before when ff was incredible and we just went down the left every time. 

Without that threat though playing bannan on the right makes us very predictable in attack.

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I guess so. I'm not sure what influence he had during his brief tenure, or what led to his departure. 

You and the majority of us mate

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Bannan can certainly play wide right and do a job. In fact sometimes he's pretty effective there like the last game against Huddersfield. The problem is it typically comes at the expense of offering any kind of threat down the right hand side. That was ok the season before when ff was incredible and we just went down the left every time. 

Without that threat though playing bannan on the right makes us very predictable in attack.

Very true - playing Bannan as a wide midfielder isn't our most attacking option, but with stronger and more attacking fullbacks it needn't necessarily be a defensive tactic either.

I just find the notion which some posters seem to think is enscribed into a stone tablet somewhere in the ten commandments of football that thou shalt not play Barry Bannan out wide quite bizarre when that's precisely the position where he spent most of his career before joining us!