Time to replicate Brighton

Agree with the points above.

Brighton stuck with Houghton because he had them playing some good football and were very unlucky to miss out on promotion.

We are sticking with CC because it seems like the done thing, he hasn't had us playing good football and we were not unlucky in missing out on promotion.

In business, which football is, you can't keep someone on because they are a nice guy or a nearly man. If they don't have the capability to deliver what you ask then you can either waste time waiting for them to perform or cut your losses and get someone to who can. 

On 5/29/2017 at 19:08, VBQ24 said:

We're all gutted after our disappointing Playoff campaign, had we played differently after Fletcher scored we could well be a Premier League club by now.

BUT imagine how it felt to be a Brighton fan after missing out on the autos and then losing to us this time last season. As a fan base we just shed the negativity which seems to have descended asap.

We can do this.

Shown the WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I'd be very surprised if we go up automatically so heaping pressure on the manager is wrong.

Reading finished above us so are a better team if you believe the table. 

Fulham were probably the form team if you take it from Christmas. 

Norwich and villa still have two years parachute payments to come.

Sunderland borough and hull have £44 million playoff payment just for next season alone.

There's always a gatecrasher too. Nobody foresaw Huddersfield going up.

We will do well to make top 6 under any manager.  

4 hours ago, Mac_77 said:

Agree with the points above.

Brighton stuck with Houghton because he had them playing some good football and were very unlucky to miss out on promotion.

We are sticking with CC because it seems like the done thing, he hasn't had us playing good football and we were not unlucky in missing out on promotion.

In business, which football is, you can't keep someone on because they are a nice guy or a nearly man. If they don't have the capability to deliver what you ask then you can either waste time waiting for them to perform or cut your losses and get someone to who can. 

A 30 yard screamer into the top corner in a play off final and a missed penalty in a shoot out by our best player in the semi seem quite unlucky. We were tipped for relegation when Carlos took over, we now have a fantastic squad, managed by a very good footballing coach and every chance of going up automatically. With Hoops, Nando, Lee and Lees fit for a full season last time we might have done it this year. There are other comparisons like Leicester where it took time to build a promotion winning squad. Brighton didn't play such great football, they were just very good all across the team and effective. We should have beaten them at their place. 

4 key additions and we can win this league.

None of the teams coming down are anywhere near as good as Newcastle, Brighton were like a machine (rode their luck too, and had Knockeart) and the rest are pretty much Meh.

But, I think Carlos and the players seem to think we are play-off hopefulls rather than league title winners. Until the players and manager start to believe we can do it, we wont.

But, like I say, 4 top players in key positions could give EVERYONE the belief we need.

A good start to the season and away we go, momentum and belief get teams promoted.

On 5/30/2017 at 01:08, VBQ24 said:

We're all gutted after our disappointing Playoff campaign, had we played differently after Fletcher scored we could well be a Premier League club by now.

BUT imagine how it felt to be a Brighton fan after missing out on the autos and then losing to us this time last season. As a fan base we just shed the negativity which seems to have descended asap.

We can do this.

Even as a fan of their opposition, it felt like a travesty that Brighton didn't go up last year, they really deserved to. Nobody is saying that about us. 

Early days I know but who do we see as the front runners and our greatest opposition this coming season ?

Apart from those who came closest this past season, Reading, Fulham and Leeds, there will be the usual expected push from Derby but perhaps, more significantly, Villa and Norwich either of which may/may not be pressing hard.

8 minutes ago, almy20 said:

Early days I know but who do we see as the front runners and our greatest opposition this coming season ?

Apart from those who came closest this past season, Reading, Fulham and Leeds, there will be the usual expected push from Derby but perhaps, more significantly, Villa and Norwich either of which may/may not be pressing hard.

Should have added ' and those relegated from Premier League' who of course have the advantage of parachute payments !

1 hour ago, almy20 said:

I'm probably on my own here but I thought QPR down at their place only looked a couple of players off being a half decent team.

On 29/05/2017 at 19:25, someone in my head said:

Hit tje ground running and there is every chance of automatic mext year. 

Have to be more ruthless against the dross sides though.

He has to be ruthless against every side 

no 1-0 and 2-1 sitting back, smash the teams that we know we can 

16 hours ago, Almat said:

Unfortunately, that's where we won't be replicating Brighton unless something seismic happens with regards to the tenure of our incumbent manager. But, hey, he's foreign, he's cute and talks in a funny accent and the happy clappers appear to have gone a bit gay for him so what the hell?

FFS change the record 

On 5/29/2017 at 19:40, Bouncing Owl said:

I think the first thing that needs to happen is to decide what formation/system we are going to play.  Still not sure 4-4-2 suits us.  Brighton have Kayal & Stephens in their midfield 2 who both know how to properly play in a midfield 2. They also have pace on the flanks which we don't have. I also suggest that neither Lee, Bannan or Hutch are suited to playing in a midfield 2.  

So what do we do? Do we go and buy a couple of wingers with pace and also a physical lad in centre midfield or do we change our tactics to get 3 in the centre by either playing 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 which will probably suit our current crop of midfielders better?

Currently this is the biggie for me if we are going to continue with 4-4-2. I don't think any combination of those 2 or Abdi gives us the required balance for a top 2 finish. Without Hutch we lack the required physicality and defensive steel. Without Lee we lack attacking threat and without Bannan we lack ball retention. Personally I think if we persist with 4-4-2 we need to bring in someone new who can encompass 2 of those 3 qualities. Not an easy ask by any means. 

19 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Currently this is the biggie for me if we are going to continue with 4-4-2. I don't think any combination of those 2 or Abdi gives us the required balance for a top 2 finish. Without Hutch we lack the required physicality and defensive steel. Without Lee we lack attacking threat and without Bannan we lack ball retention. Personally I think if we persist with 4-4-2 we need to bring in someone new who can encompass 2 of those 3 qualities. Not an easy ask by any means. 

Bang on!

Leeds are looking to re-sign Delph and Howson. Now those two as a pairing are what we need if we are going to play 4-4-2, both have a physical presence and can get stuck in. They can also play a bit and both score goals from midfield

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Leeds are looking to re-sign Delph and Howson. Now those two as a pairing are what we need if we are going to play 4-4-2, both have a physical presence and can get stuck in. They can also play a bit and both score goals from midfield

You think Leeds can afford Delph?