New home shirt

So they ain't bothering doing a home anniversary kit then?

again I'm furious with this  the making in house bit is sensible 

the chosen anniversary kit is great 

but this year of all feckin years it had to be stripes 

the white sleeves are a concession behind the disguise of it being an old kit 

someone needs to tell DC that this kit (despite being worn by heroes of mine) was hated 

Equally, if watching a team play in blue and white stripes is vitally important, you could always support Hartlepool.

what sort of comment is that ?   akin to get'lane  that clappers say whenever there's a criticism 

All about business sense pal. If they had a new striped shirt it couldn't be made to look much different  to the thousands of old striped shirts.

The old ones would come out of the cupboard season after season ...why bother buying a new one??

Exactly this.......^^^^^^ we moan when we aren't making revenue, we moan when the Chairman makes revenue. By having a change of direction in shirt design we have made money.  We will again next year with anniversary design.  Good business sense...

In other words he doesn't care about what most fans think. It's his play thing and he does what he wants

If it generates revenue and the take up is like this year then I don't have a problem with it as long as it's blue and white.  If he increases income overall and it allows us to invest on the field I wouldn't care what we togged out in.  My guess is he will keep with different designs and then it wouldn't be a surprise if the stripes reappear if we get back in the PL and for another season we break sales records. 

We were stuck in a financial/business hole for years. Let the man do what he's obviously very good at and make money. Only then if we don't move forward as a club can we judge the man on his changes.

what sort of comment is that ?   akin to get'lane  that clappers say whenever there's a criticism 

It's not akin to that at all though, is it?

I wasn't telling him to go and watch a different team; I was simply pointing out how ridiculous it is to hold blue and white stripes as a vital component of supporting your team, especially since we've not played in blue and white stripes several times before...and don't currently.

The original notion of supporting a different team came from the post to which I was replying, hence my phrasing.

I like the new 1 we going to have and will probably buy it.

Not too darker blue though 

I know I'm being an bottom tw@t here...but what is the real blue? I've got all sorts of versions in my Wednesday wardrobe...shirts, scarves, tat. What Pantone is the boy? UTO.

It's not akin to that at all though, is it?

I wasn't telling him to go and watch a different team; I was simply pointing out how ridiculous it is to hold blue and white stripes as a vital component of supporting your team, especially since we've not played in blue and white stripes several times before...and don't currently.

The original notion of supporting a different team came from the post to which I was replying, hence my phrasing.

it isn't ridiculous at all  

Not speaking for anyone else the striped shirt IS Sheffield Wednesday to me  I was around the last time the proposed one was used and everyone hated it the cheer when they again ran out in stripes was deafening 

Edited by steelowl
reread post ffs

I believe you suggested Hartlepool ? another team ..no?

Not speaking for anyone else the striped shirt IS Sheffield Wednesday to me  I was around the last time the proposed one was used and everyone hated it the cheer when they again ran out in stripes was deafening 

Yes, I echoed his syntax and suggested supporting a team who play in blue and white stripes* in order to highlight that supporting Wednesday is about much more than supporting a kit, stripes or no stripes.

The overreaction from some on here, who I can only assume are grown adults, is hilarious.

*They didn't last season, though. Nor for three other seasons in the last decade. Shock horror!

:duntmatter:

I'm astounded by how many grown men are claiming to be 'furious' over this issue. I just can't imagine how this relatively minor change could cause such a reaction. It's not like he's making us play in red for gods sake. 

it isnt a minor change ffs  i last year's was a slippy slope to this one, the next will be solid blue 

My team for the most of my life play in stripes and that's what I want back 

as for playing in red I suspect you'd be happy with that ?  how far would you support a departure from tradition?

Yes, I echoed his syntax and suggested supporting a team who play in blue and white stripes* in order to highlight that supporting Wednesday is about much more than supporting a kit, stripes or no stripes.

The overreaction from some on here, who I can only assume are grown adults, is hilarious.

*They didn't last season, though. Nor for three other seasons in the last decade. Shock horror!

as i said (and clearly you dont agree) the strip embodies the club for me followed by Hillsborough 

you are entitled to chortle at the angst all you like I will never agree with not playing in blue and white stripes at home 

I'm astounded by how many grown men are claiming to be 'furious' over this issue. I just can't imagine how this relatively minor change could cause such a reaction. It's not like he's making us play in red for gods sake. 

I'm far from furious...I'm not happy with the present, nor the planned shirt though...and I don't see why they can't throw a crumb out for the fans, the majority who I reckon would prefer stripes...its easy enough to gauge, if I'm wrong, fair enough.

Sure its Chansiris club now, but its not as though we don't put a substantial amount of our disposable income in, especially through POTG.

The blase "he can do what he wants etc", is getting on me nerves, and I honestly don't see the reasoning behind it...Is it to do with luck?...I'm as superstitious as any f.ooker as regards football, and the planned new shirt was lucky as f.ook for us last time wasn't it?...bloody plummeted!

The we have sold more of the present shirt than any other?..Well, it was discounted for season ticket holders wasn't it....you coulda put a f.ookin' pink frill on the sodding collar and it would have sold.

Are we supposed to lose ALL sodding interest and simply passively go along with owt the club does?...I'm not talking rioting on the bloody streets, but simply putting our points of view across, as the steering committee seem to have done, but the decision had been made already it seems, so whats the f.ookin' point?

...No worries eh?...Have we re signed Tommy Craig yet?

He wasn't just saying that blue and white stripes are important to him

He was saying Sheffield Wednesday playing in blue and white stripes is important to him.

So your suggested solution is poor really.

Some people hold the club's identity dear. Colours and patterns play a big part of all football clubs, some have them a part of their badge.

These identities have evolved into what they are over decades, they're recognisable at first site by many people around the world.

Groups, teams, tribes etc have been doing it for years, it's not a new thing that's childish, it's a part of human culture and probably always will be.

it isnt a minor change ffs  i last year's was a slippy slope to this one, the next will be solid blue 

My team for the most of my life play in stripes and that's what I want back 

as for playing in red I suspect you'd be happy with that ?  how far would you support a departure from tradition?

Why would you suspect that I'd be happy with us playing in red? I don't think any Wednesday fan would be. There's lots of things that get me riled up when supporting Wednesday but a change to the kit design certainly isn't one of them. Especially when it's a throw back to an old design!

To be honest I'm more bothered about what happens on the field. 

I'm far from furious...I'm not happy with the present, nor the planned shirt though...and I don't see why they can't throw a crumb out for the fans, the majority who I reckon would prefer stripes...its easy enough to gauge, if I'm wrong, fair enough.

Sure its Chansiris club now, but its not as though we don't put a substantial amount of our disposable income in, especially through POTG.

The blase "he can do what he wants etc", is getting on me nerves, and I honestly don't see the reasoning behind it...Is it to do with luck?...I'm as superstitious as any f.ooker as regards football, and the planned new shirt was lucky as f.ook for us last time wasn't it?...bloody plummeted!

The we have sold more of the present shirt than any other?..Well, it was discounted for season ticket holders wasn't it....you coulda put a f.ookin' pink frill on the sodding collar and it would have sold.

Are we supposed to lose ALL sodding interest and simply passively go along with owt the club does?...I'm not talking rioting on the bloody streets, but simply putting our points of view across, as the steering committee seem to have done, but the decision had been made already it seems, so whats the f.ookin' point?

...No worries eh?...Have we re signed Tommy Craig yet?

agree with all you say Andy- except I am furious :biggrin:

as for the 'you've been steered group' as you say what's the point

Why would you suspect that I'd be happy with us playing in red? I don't think any Wednesday fan would be. There's lots of things that get me riled up when supporting Wednesday but a change to the kit design certainly isn't one of them. Especially when it's a throw back to an old design!

To be honest I'm more bothered about what happens on the field. 

I was merely testing how far you'd go

as for the 'old design' where you around ? I was - it wasn't liked by anyone I knew at the time and was replaced 

as i said (and clearly you dont agree) the strip embodies the club for me followed by Hillsborough 

you are entitled to chortle at the angst all you like I will never agree with not playing in blue and white stripes at home 

If it were the first time we'd ever ditched the stripes I could see it being more of an issue, but we've not played in evenly-spaced blue and white stripes for more than a fifth of our club's history. As I've said before on here, as a kid my favourite kit was this stripe-less beauty:

Hirst.jpg.22a125b5603d25edd460d7b68288a14f.jpg

It's not as if the mooted new kit is a radical break with tradition, either - it's going to be based on a design we used for more than half a decade within living memory of many of our fans.

There are far worse things that a chairman could do than pick his favourite historical kit for us to play in.