Bannan is the problem!!!!

6 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Replace with who though? And what will you say when we play exactly the same because none of the other team members move into space to received the ball making the likes of Bannan more effective? 

With the wages we're spunking I can think of a lot of central midfielders better then Bannan. 

37 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Seriously sick of seeing him get so much of the ball and adulation...

Sits too deep

Completely lightweight

Gives the ball away

Creates nothing

Scores only every 6 months

Expects all his teammate's to do all the running

Doesn't drive forward

Wants to play the Hollywood ball without following them up

Overall fkn bobbar

There I've said it...and don't get me started on fkn Jones...worst midfield pairing in the entire league...

Embarrassed and fkd off AGAIN tonight

Totally spot on I've put countless reply 's on here about exactly that , our problem clearly lies in centre mid.

Mcgugan. Scored 1 goal every 5 games at forest, 1 in 4 at Watford and even for us, a team proven at destroying the goal threat of every player we've ever signed, 1 in 7.

That's before we even get onto his assists.

Actually, f#ck it, let's just waste our money and let him rot.

Bannan loves the quick close interplay with KL and FF to create opportunities. (sadly both missing) therefore, his quick twists and turns are not impacting the match in the same way. 

His long range passing and energy are still good but without this close support,  he appears less effective .. If that makes sense? 

Edited by owls-swfc

Guest The Horse

Can't do it all himself.
Should be playing much further up threading the passes whilst stronger and more energetic players make the runs, do the hard work and make space for him.
The midfield balance has been wrong all season.
Along with tempo, slow starts and bad tactics.

In a game where he has plenty of space and can boss the midfield, he looks very good and he is able to make the most of that nice footballing brain that he has.

When there is a midfield battle or we are being overrun in midfield, he seems to go missing big time. This is where his physical size hinders us massively - he simply offers nothing defensively and from a point of winning the ball back. Tonight, he didn't even want the ball. 

I also agree that he doesn't score anywhere near enough goals.

Wasnt a huge Bannan fan last season but seriously what is this thread anout. Hes our only functioning midfield creative player left and he was stranded and outnumbered all game. Jones plays inside a 15 yard box all game two wingers out wide and Bannan running all over the place on his todd trying to put out fires.

Our tactics were inept tonight first half. 

42 minutes ago, bluemagic said:

Norwich are a crap away side though, I'd prefer to rate players against decent sides.

Reading had lost 7 in 8 away from him against sides in the top half which kind of ruins your argument.

Bannan is a good player when he has time on the ball. Tonight Williams gave him no time & to some extent neither did the crowd (in not blaming the crowd as I too was urging him to move it quicker). He shouldn't be in a middle two but be part of a  middle 3.

38 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Everyone makes mistakes but unfortunately for Bannan his mistakes in recent games have led to goals

Gave It away tonight and they scored from it because Fox had pushed on for the pass that never came

Yes, that's why Fox was way out of position. Many times in recent weeks bannan has not seen that obvious pass out wide left- tonight it cost us the firstt goal 

Currently we have no other option, and don't say bleedin' McGugan because even if he was involved again for some reason you can't just expect him to be ready to start a game like this with no match practice all season.

Not excusing his performance but in current circumstances we literally have no-one to fill that role.

1 hour ago, meggoisgod said:

Seriously sick of seeing him get so much of the ball and adulation...

Sits too deep

Completely lightweight

Gives the ball away

Creates nothing

Scores only every 6 months

Expects all his teammate's to do all the running

Doesn't drive forward

Wants to play the Hollywood ball without following them up

Overall fkn bobbar

There I've said it...and don't get me started on fkn Jones...worst midfield pairing in the entire league...

Embarrassed and fkd off AGAIN tonight

Well there is me thinking I'm gonna get slaughtered but fk me the vast majority are in agreement... God I miss kieran lee

29 minutes ago, Stainless1983 said:

Reading had lost 7 in 8 away from him against sides in the top half which kind of ruins your argument.

Bannan is a good player when he has time on the ball. Tonight Williams gave him no time & to some extent neither did the crowd (in not blaming the crowd as I too was urging him to move it quicker). He shouldn't be in a middle two but be part of a  middle 3.

Didn't ruin my argument as I was basically saying Bannan only performed against a very weak away Norwich team, and he couldn't do it against a weak away Reading team. I wasn't suggesting he has performed good on a consistant basis, infact the contrary. But as you say, he maybe isn't being played in a system that suits him.

Edited by bluemagic

Reading's tactical win tonight was playing with a really exaggerated width - with our fullbacks clearly being told to push forward, it left us needing to send central players wide to cover on loads of occasions which repeatedly split us open right down the middle. At one point Lees and Loovens spent a full 10min playing on opposite corners of our penalty box and Bannan/Jones were just totally absent from the middle of the park for 60% of the game. Gaping holes right up the centre, and although Reading never really exploited them it killed us coming forward. We basically played completely around or over the top of midfield.

The answer would've been five in the middle and three across the back tonight, but injuries made that a nonstarter (even if CC wanted to, which I'm sure he didn't).

Edited by Mr. Tom

7 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Hutch & Jones never play together. They are supposed to do the same type of job.

I know mate, just in terms of balance, it might help us.

The second striker, has to be more useful than another midfielder, on occasions Winnall has been, but I doubt i'd risk starting 2 upfront again and going behind. Pay every team full respect, until its time to unleash another forward. No more chasing games like tonight

Edited by bigash_swfc

Not a bad player Bannan,  but unfortunately not a player that's going to help lead a team to the Premier League, he really shouldn't be starting every week for a top 6 side as he simply doesn't offer enough. 

No other option at the moment though, our midfield without Lee is a real problem area. 

Edited by Lee A