First away match

Guest timrud

My first as a kid was actually at Aston Villa in the early 90's, our form teacher did a trip for us - nice one Mr Frost!

12 hours ago, General_Grievous said:

First away match with my lad this season. Not found a suitable one this year yet. 

Highlight last year was getting Pudl's shirt at the end of Preston ladt year. Hopefully another shirt and three points this time!!

Hope he has a great day.

Chelsea away.  FA Cup quarter final 1967, one of 10,000+ fans, thought we had got a 0-0 draw and a reply at Hillsborough (and would be lifting the cup after the previous years Wembley heartbreak) then Bobby Tambling? mis-hit his shot and Ron Springett couldn't keep it out. A long miserable journey back to Sheffield followed!

Ipswich away 1990.

Wednesday had been relegated from the old first division the season before, this was the first game of the 90/91 season and for some reason the authorities must have thought that our support would drop off having just been relegated. Nothing could have been further from the truth. The game wasnt even made an all ticket game and thousands of Wednesday fans descended on Portman Road that sunny day and literally took over.

I was only 10 years old at the time and remember the terrace behind the goal in the video being absolutely rammed. All seater stadiums hadnt been made mandatory yet and there were still the old crush barriers and fencing at the front. The terrace with the Wednesday fans in the video below was rammed, so much so that they started taking children out of the stand, myself included. I ended up sat with a bunch of other kids at the side of the pitch, it was surreal. I vividly remember at one stage turning round and looking at the pen, which my dad was still stood inside, some were shouting and screaming at the police and stewards that they were being crushed. With the Hillsborough disaster fresh in the memory from a few years before it was a bit worrying.

Eventually they opened up a section of one of the stands at the side so I ended up in there with my dad. Then later they moved us into the side stand at the opposite side, I cant remember why, but some of us had to walk behind the goal into the other stand. I ended up watching the game from 3 stands and being sat on the pitch that day, doubt that will ever happen again.

A few other things that stuck in my mind, former Wednesday player Steve Whitton got some stick from our fan that day and it was the first time I had heard "Oh what fun it is to see the Wednesday win away" song as we were coming out of the stadium, which really made me smile.

Im sure other people have memories of this game too.

Plymouth on a midweek evening in 03/04.

I was 8. We lost 2-0 and we barely touched the ball.

My away record is pretty shocking. I've seen us win 3 times in over 13 years of making at least one a season. Donny 4-0, Newcastle last season & Millenium Stadium.

1 hour ago, S A Andy said:

Chelsea away.  FA Cup quarter final 1967, one of 10,000+ fans, thought we had got a 0-0 draw and a reply at Hillsborough (and would be lifting the cup after the previous years Wembley heartbreak) then Bobby Tambling? mis-hit his shot and Ron Springett couldn't keep it out. A long miserable journey back to Sheffield followed!

Was there. From memory was that not scored in a ridicolous amount of injury time. It was totally against the run of play as well.

My first away games were all in the cup too, previous season when I went to every round which were all away from home. Couldn't get a ticket for Wembley though.

Been to every Doncaster away game but first one outside of South Yorkshire wasn't until Brighton in 2014. My Dad lives not far from the Amex and with it being opening day I was determined for us to go. Got the tickets through a mate; didn't have enough points on my season ticket as it had only just started; and took advantage of the free train travel to head to Falmer.

Bright sunshine, cracking day and we actually won - Giles Coke scored this beauty:

Couldn't really have asked for much better. AND we signed Stevie May during the game who, being a Scot, I was sure would be a massive hit for us.

lol 

EDIT: Keiren Westwood's debut too!

Edited by daftpenguin