Rhodes the target man

Quite frankly, half of this seasons signings have been a waste of money If we wanted to play the way we are playing, we'd have been better investing in a dominant centre back, and a couple of tough tackling midfielders Unless we change the way we set up, Rhodes will do sod all here

I agree with the op, our tactics are simply not getting the best out of JR.

He's got a better than one goal in every two games played and it's criminal the way Carlos is using him.

How many clear cut chances have we created for our strikers? How many one on ones?

On current form JR should be starting up front with Winnall with FF out wide and one of either Wallace/McManaman on the other wing and we should be going at teams at a positive tempo.

We are in danger of turning JR into a one goal  in four/five games with our current use of him and also tuning an inform striker in Winnall to a bit part striker/wide man and bizarrely last night midfielder.  Way to knock a players confidence or what.

I've been and still am a massive fan of CCs  but let's start playing people in their strongest position and reaping the benefits as we have the players and strength in depth (especially in attack) that many managers would give their right arm to have.

We are currently using a screwdriver as a hammer.

We have the tools Carlos let's use them correctly.

Edited by full fathom five

Anyone who's watched us on a regular basis this season, would have realised Rhodes wouldn't be the answer to our goalscoring problems He's a goalscorer in the right team, but in this current set up, he offers less than Forestieri, Hooper and Joao. It's not just him either, plenty of players would have a far greater impact, if only the coach would release the shackles.

The same problems Rhodes is facing is exactly the same Hooper has been facing when he was getting battered by a section of people. 

Both players, with the right service will score bags of goals.

Sadly, the current system doesn't flatter either of them. I think their quality will mean they will do well (when Hooper is fit obviously), but i feel we could get much more benefit from them both than we are. 

We all knew that Jordan Rhodes is all about scoring goals. Rest of his game is a bit ordinary but give him the service and he knows where the net is. Maybe not match fully match fit yet which I understand (although part of me thinks £50k pw and not fit enough yet! but that is modern football)

Type of player who will get 6 goals in next 3 games be man of the match, crowd signing his name and not being able to remember much else he did apart from score.

Predict he will come good before end of the season.

40 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

The same problems Rhodes is facing is exactly the same Hooper has been facing when he was getting battered by a section of people. 

Both players, with the right service will score bags of goals.

Sadly, the current system doesn't flatter either of them. I think their quality will mean they will do well (when Hooper is fit obviously), but i feel we could get much more benefit from them both than we are. 

Absolutely this, and if you don't get goals from Rhodes, you get little else. Had Joao been playing, for example, there's no way they'd have scored with those headers Hard to fathom Carlos's logic, stubbornly refusing to play in a way which would get the best out of the players he's signed. 

At the moment its hard to see the benefit of Rhodes at the price we are paying. Don't get me wrong Rhodes is a very good player so there must be a reason why he has not shown his worth properly. We seem to want to just punt the ball forward for him to try and flick on for others. But the midfield is so far back, often including our wide men, there is nobody going to get anywhere near those flick ons. We may as well play Fletcher to provide flick ons for Rhodes if that is our strategy. At Blackburn Rhodes had Rudy Gartside ? doing this for him. But we can't be a one trick pony surely, we should be getting better service to Rhodes and that will not come from playing Bannan wide left.

If we were going to buy Rhodes we also needed a winger (preferably one with pace). If Carlos doesn't see Buckley or Mcmanaman as that guy we should have spent big on quality in January even if (dare I say it) it meant selling FF to fund it.

I like both Rhodes and Winnall (and Hooper) but their signings seem to necessitate a change of approach. Not sure Carlos wants that, and even if he does, that mid season is the time to do it.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

This is the down side of Jordan Rhodes, if he doesn't score, he's a passenger. Thankfully, at this level, he usually scores, but I think he'll struggle in our set up. Winnall has already gone from a goal every other game at Barnsley, to about one in six here. Our tactics mean that we are a bit of a graveyard for strikers

Says the guy with the biggest shovel on owlstalk lol

Been saying this for years, continually lumping crosses into strikers is not a good idea, especially when they're playing against 6'5" defenders like last night. I'm not saying don't do it, but not on every attack. Strikers have more control when the ball is on the floor and running at defenders. You cross a ball to a striker and has to try to get a header at goal or bring it down. By the time it's brought down a challenge is already in. If a striker has there back to goal, play it to feet and have a back up around him for the lay off, otherwise play the ball for the striker to run on to

5 hours ago, full fathom five said:

I agree with the op, our tactics are simply not getting the best out of JR.

He's got a better than one goal in every two games played and it's criminal the way Carlos is using him.

How many clear cut chances have we created for our strikers? How many one on ones?

On current form JR should be starting up front with Winnall with FF out wide and one of either Wallace/McManaman on the other wing and we should be going at teams at a positive tempo.

We are in danger of turning JR into a one goal  in four/five games with our current use of him and also tuning an inform striker in Winnall to a bit part striker/wide man and bizarrely last night midfielder.  Way to knock a players confidence or what.

I've been and still am a massive fan of CCs  but let's start playing people in their strongest position and reaping the benefits as we have the players and strength in depth (especially in attack) that many managers would give their right arm to have.

We are currently using a screwdriver as a hammer.

We have the tools Carlos let's use them correctly.

one of them squeaky toy hammers at that

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

At their current rate, about 3 apiece

Given the current way we are playing I'd agree, wait until hooper is fit and we will see the lack of service to him too

Strikeforce of Fessi, Hooper, Winnall, Rhodes, Fletcher and Nuhiu

Decent wingers and midfield yet we play so pedestrian and scared, if we don't go up this season (and we wont playing like this), CC will be gone and it wont be down to lack of investment or support from the chairman. I like the guy but something is not right somewhere