Nottingham press sour grapes!

3 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

sorry its definitely sour grapes, the law change was not even known by the Forest fans and press, the Sheffield press had to point it out to them . Their fans who I had to sit around , said the ref didn't know the rules , I pointed out the double jeopardy rule which they had never heard of. Radio Nottingham and fans were complaining on the way home that the ref and us cheating had cost them the game. The fact is they missed a pen and lost to a better side. I would be embarrassed if that was us and be angry with pen taker. They lost because they were beaten by a better side, but can't accept that. They are in total denial. 

Are you sure because that is certainly not how I read that article:

There was no question that the keeper took out Ben Brereton – the only grey area was over whether he had made a genuine attempt to win the ball. Despite the fact that the ball had long gone before contact was made, the referee felt that Westwood had made an honest challenge and showed him yellow, rather than red, under the double-jeopardy rule.

It seems to me that the writer is questioning the validity of the double jeopardy rule being applied.

6 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

There was no question that the keeper took out Ben Brereton – the only grey area was over whether he had made a genuine attempt to win the ball. Despite the fact that the ball had long gone before contact was made, the referee felt that Westwood had made an honest challenge and showed him yellow, rather than red, under the double-jeopardy rule.

It seems to me that the writer is questioning the validity of the double jeopardy rule being applied.

Key words being "the ball had long gone". 

So far gone in fact that even if the striker had evaded Westwood it's highly questionable as to whether he'd have got to the ball before Hunt. So forget this new double jeopardy rule,  even last season there'd be a strong case for it only being a yellow card. 

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Key words being "the ball had long gone". 

So far gone in fact that even if the striker had evaded Westwood it's highly questionable as to whether he'd have got to the ball before Hunt. So forget this new double jeopardy rule,  even last season there'd be a strong case for it only being a yellow card. 

I'm happy to shrug my shoulders and move on because it is just one of a million decisions that referees have to give and, at the end of the day, the result of the game will stay the same much like our defeat at Derby. The only point that I am making is there is a difference between sour grapes and reporting which favours a certain perspective and, as I previously said, if the decision had been at the other end, there would most certainly be more than a few on here that would argue it should have been a red card.

27 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Long gone ? put a stop watch on it !

As fans we pay good money it is wasted to have a 10 v 11 game forced upon us. Violent conduct is the only offence that should lead to a dismissal IMHO. You pay to see players display their skills not to have weeks knocked out of very short careers. If referees must display their floral dance waving different coloured cards about, let the cards equate to points deductions on the League tables.   

2 hours ago, Bodhidharma said:

Blue and white specs on mate.

Ball is well gone when he takes him out.

Lucky.

Not complaining like. Just saying it was lucky.

Possibly pal, but when you take in the reaction time from their lad knocking the ball and Westwood making a move, there is going to be a delay. Had Westwood dove to his left and bought the lad down with his legs, then I think the colour of the card would have been red.

2 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I like the fan comment about Hutch having a drink...aren't players allowed to keep hydrated any more?

Clutching at straws is an understatement...I hope they go down, I have never like the club and i never will do!! They are just as bad as Leeds for me. I never understand the love for Brian Clough either...the bloke was nothing short of an arrogant bully.

In fact F**K off forest i hope your club rots in league 1!!!

You made some valid points but IMO they're not a disliked club. If I had to pick a Prem 20 they'd be in it.

As for slating Clough, I've always liked him, good football man and is one of those guys that comes along that you just admire. I don't get the angst against him. I take it you're younger than 30?

Edited by Big Ron's Sovereign

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I think they just make it up as they go along ......hudders defender handles a shot and gets booked ,murray handled a shot gets sent off .they were more or less identical offences and two different outcomes .

Don't forget Richard Keogh for Derby against us earlier this season, although he is just a dirty shi'ite defender anyway.  I was watching a Derby game other week on TV and he basically assaulted an opposition player (think it was v Leicester in the FA Cup) and got away with it.

2 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

You made some valid points but IMO they're not a disliked club. If I had to pick a Prem 20 they'd be in it.

As for slating Clough, I've always liked him, good football man and is one of those guys that comes along that you just admire. I don't get the angst against him. I take it you're younger than 30?

That's just my opinion mate, if you disagree that's fair enough i would suspect we are both old enough to have a sensible opinion. Age has no relevance! You obviously like Clough and Forest i don't, i dislike what i  know about Clough and i dislike them. Like i said for me i would put them as a club in same category as Leeds.

Everyone has an opinion on other clubs and i am sure everyone's is different. 

2 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

That's just my opinion mate, if you disagree that's fair enough i would suspect we are both old enough to have a sensible opinion. Age has no relevance! You obviously like Clough and Forest i don't, i dislike what i  know about Clough and i dislike them. Like i said for me i would put them as a club in same category as Leeds.

The only reason I questioned your age is to enquire whether you were a football watcher when he was around

16 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Watch The Damned United.  He basically said all the L**ds players could throw away all their pots and pans (trophies) because they won them all by cheating.  Top man. 

13 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

The only reason I questioned your age is to enquire whether you were a football watcher when he was around

I am 30...but i have read and seen enough to come to my opinion. 

I also think his sons attitude and approach to football is very similar and again there is a dislike for him. 

Interesting comments by Westwood in his interview afterwards on this. Says something along the lines of he knows the new rule and used it to his advantage. Had a rye smile on his face and must have known he was taking a gamble when taking the player out but it paid off big time!

Interview on SWFC You tube channel if anyone is interested? 

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

Trust me there bloody press box did not know the rule. The headline clearly claims they have been out done twice this season by the ref when playing us, poor journalism.

We have been victims of this as I said earlier, an actual assault by PNE keeper who only got a yellow.

Anyway its done the law was applied on both counts we move on.

Edited by Big Jack