Championship Run-in 2016-2017

On 2/27/2017 at 09:37, BIG D said:

Exactly, we want Newcastle and Brighton out of the way and promoted automatically.

I don't fear any of the teams in the play off mix.

First line, correct !

Over 2 legs I think we would be slight favourites against Reading or Huddersfield.   We are overdue a performance/win/result/bit of luck against Leeds but I do fear them, it would be hard to call.

2 hours ago, Liamswfc92 said:

Could easily be 4th but Fulham are playing Leeds.

I'd prefer that to be a draw or Leeds win. Get as far away points-wise from 7th place as possible.

I agree with that. Plenty of time to catch Leeds 

10 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

Newcastle's next two games are away at Reading then home to Fulham. My brother is a toon fan, for the next week i am too!

My condolences to you. I couldn't imagine having a brother who is a Newcastle fan. I live amongst them and they're deluded.

On 04/03/2017 at 20:00, Liamswfc92 said:

Could easily be 4th but Fulham are playing Leeds.

I'd prefer that to be a draw or Leeds win. Get as far away points-wise from 7th place as possible.

I agree that getting further away from Fulham would be best.

However I also feel that if we could be 4th on Tuesday night it could be a big psychological boost for our players, as they surely must get frustrated that no matter how well they perform, when they look at the table they find they are still in 6th. I'm sure players, like fans, must get a buzz from climbing the table and seeing their efforts are taking them places 

But either way it will be win win situation for us on Tuesday, if we win too!

On 3/4/2017 at 13:01, 31Dec1966 said:

First line, correct !

Over 2 legs I think we would be slight favourites against Reading or Huddersfield.   We are overdue a performance/win/result/bit of luck against Leeds but I do fear them, it would be hard to call.

That's the way I see it too. Leeds are the big worry for me.

8 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

I agree that getting further away from Fulham would be best.

However I also feel that if we could be 4th on Tuesday night it could be a big psychological boost for our players, as they surely must get frustrated that no matter how well they perform, when they look at the table they find they are still in 6th.

Was annoying when we won 4 on the spin and didn't budge.

Wednesday and 6th is the new Arsenal and 4th, it's home now, it's ours

Much better strike force compared to the players available for us during last season's run in (am assuming Matias and Buckley won't be available for next 11 games)

2016-17 2015-16

Westwood Westwood
Wildsmith Wildsmith

Palmer Palmer
Hunt Hunt
Lees Lees
Loovens Loovens
Sasso Sasso
Pudil Pudil
Fox Turner

Wallace Wallace
McManaman McGeady
Hutchinson Hutchinson
Jones Lee
Semedo Semedo
Bannan Bannan
Abdi Lopez
Forestieri Forestieri
Reach Helan

Rhodes  
Winnall Matias
Fletcher Joao
Hooper Hooper
Nuhiu Nuhiu

Edited by owlandished

20 minutes ago, Lee A said:

Was annoying when we won 4 on the spin and didn't budge.

Wednesday and 6th is the new Arsenal and 4th, it's home now, it's ours

Haha very true 

Yep the players have been on a great run of 5 wins in 7 games and they have stayed in 6th, and even the gap between them and 7th hasn't really grown either 

It would be nice to see us higher up the table even if it's just for a few days!

11 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Much better strike force compared to the players available for us during last season's run in (am assuming Matias and Buckley won't be available for next 11 games)

2016-17 2015-16

Westwood Westwood
Wildsmith Wildsmith

Palmer Palmer
Hunt Hunt
Lees Lees
Loovens Loovens
Sasso Sasso
Pudil Pudil
Fox Turner

Wallace Wallace
McManaman McGeady
Hutchinson Hutchinson
Jones Lee
Semedo Semedo
Bannan Bannan
Abdi Lopez
Forestieri Forestieri
Reach Helan

Rhodes  
Winnall Matias
Fletcher Joao
Hooper Hooper
Nuhiu Nuhiu

This is the real difference from last year. A massive improvement in our attacking options. For all the Reach haters....would you sooner have him or Helan coming on at Wembley?

In the 7 games since Rhodes joined Winnall et al. as a new recruit, we have netted 14 goals

The stats are screwed upwards following our 5-1 thumping of Norwich on Saturday, but it's worth keeping mind that:

* In the 7 games prior to that, we scored just 8 times

* It took us 12 games to grab our first 14 goals of the season

Rhodes staying fit and making our crosses look good by scoring from them, is certainly going to be a factor that can take us to Wembley and beyond

If results go as expected tomorrow, that should see the following;

Newcastle win.

Brighton win.

Huddersfield win.

Leeds/Fulham draw.

Reading lose.

Wednesday win.

That would leave us 7 points clear of Fulham and jump into 5th, 1 point above Reading. Even if Reading get a point vs Newcastle, a win for us would see us go 5th on goal difference.

I'll be very happy with that!

It is / should be frankly inconceivable to lose tomorrow. Weeds and Town have 'difficult fixtures' away to Fulham and home to Villa respectively and then there is the Reading (H) V Newcastle fixture about which one can only speculate. Brighton (at Rovrum) have had a couple of bad results and bad problems with injuries, Goldson with a heart problem - out for the rest of the season (at least) and Duffy who broke a metatarsal on Sat., out for six/seven weeks, so who knows where that one will go but all adding to the Run In fascination.

Don't think too bothered about any of the others as Norwich have surely bottled out barring miracles !

Edited by almy20