Joao moves to Blackburn

2 minutes ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

On BBC sport it also says "with option to buy".... So who do we believe. 

Dom howson says he's spoken to sources at the club so I'll believe him for now. 

Dom Howson ‏@domhowson
Contrary to reports, I'm told Blackburn do NOT have the option to buy Joao on a permanent basis at the end of the season. #SWFC
Edited by Southie_Owl

3 hours ago, WBridgfordowl said:

I hope he does really well, but I don't share everyone's expectation that he'll score goals for Blackburn. If he couldn't score in our side, surely it's going to be even more difficult at Blackburn, acknowledging he'll probably get more game time

Depends if he starts every game for Blackburn.. If he scores a few it might boost his confidence. We have a fair few striker's so usually played second fiddle to the rest.

2 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Dom howson says he's spoken to sources at the club so I'll believe him for now. 

Dom Howson ‏@domhowson
Contrary to reports, I'm told Blackburn do NOT have the option to buy Joao on a permanent basis at the end of the season. #SWFC

Yeah I've seen this too... I just don't like contradictory statements. Makes me nervous Haha.

Tbh he's already impressed me just by going out on loan, but particularly to Blackburn of all places (shudders)

I could have envisaged a little trip to warmer climbs for some tippy tappy football, but instead he's going to the dark side of the Pennines to be kicked around at the bottom of the Championship. Fair play Lucas!

He could happily have messed about in the gym and on Instagram (which seems to have been in fashion at S6 recently) but instead I'm sure this will benefit all parties... Good luck to the lad!

PS please bag against the scum on Wednesday, love Cosby x

Lucas Joao says the incredible competition for places up front at Sheffield Wednesday meant he had little option but to leave on loan.

The Owls forward has joined Blackburn Rovers until the end of the season having fallen well down the pecking order at Hillsborough following the arrival of Sam Winnall from Barnsley.

With the possibility of yet another striker coming in today as the transfer window closes, Joao admits he needed to get away to ensure he gets more game time. “I am excited to meet my new colleagues and to play for Blackburn,” said Joao, who made 12 appearances this season scoring just one goal. “I hope everything goes well and I’m looking forward to helping Rovers climb up the table. “I spoke with the manager and Blackburn Rovers seems to provide the perfect conditions for becoming a better player and I want to help the team, so that’s why I have joined. Sheffield Wednesday have a lot of strikers who have a lot of quality, so I felt I needed to move away to play more and progress. “Blackburn Rovers have given me this opportunity and I need to enjoy it and most importantly, play well.” Rovers boss Owen Coyle was delighted to snap up Joao until the end of the seaosn, claiming that he has tried to sign the Portuguese international on more than one occasion already. "Lucas Joao is a player that I've admired for the last couple of years and I've actually tried to get him to Blackburn Rovers already on a couple of occasions," said Coyle. "So to be able to bring it to fruition now, we're delighted. He's a young striker, he's quick, he's strong, he's got great technical ability and he has scope to get even better

With that in mind, you can never have enough goalscorers at your football club and we want to make sure until the end of the season that we have that talent in that area to score us goals to try and win us games, and Lucas Joao will certainly help us to do that."

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-lucas-joao-on-why-he-had-to-leave-hillsborough-1-8362839

1)  He went past the 'potential' stage years ago.   That can no longer be used as an excuse for his patchy form.

2) He needs games as much as the next player who's not in the first 11 does. He's had his chances, more than the likes of Bus had.

I don't get the love for him to be honest..a handful of decent performances and he's suddenly ' one of us '? . What's the difference between him , Bus and Sougou?  why no reaction to their leaving?

4 hours ago, Bannofan said:

1)  He went past the 'potential' stage years ago.   That can no longer be used as an excuse for his patchy form.

2) He needs games as much as the next player who's not in the first 11 does. He's had his chances, more than the likes of Bus had.

I don't get the love for him to be honest..a handful of decent performances and he's suddenly ' one of us '? . What's the difference between him , Bus and Sougou?  why no reaction to their leaving?

He made a decent contribution in his first season with us which also happened to be the best season at Hillsborough for 20 years. He also played a blinder in one of the best one off games at hillsborough in recent times (Arsenal). Bus and Sougou have barely featured since joining playing a handful of cup games and the odd league game neither has ever had a 'good' performance in a wednesday shirt its not quite the same.

He still has a chance to make it at this level and this is a good move for him and us players only improve with regular games, players like reach and winnall are still both really in the potential stage and their both at least the same age as him I think winnalls older.

4 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Joao scored a decent number last season and is a much better prospect than Bus and Sougou. He cost us more money and has shown glimpses of real talent. Made a his debut for Portugal whilst with us too. Fair enough he's not kicked on and he didn't take the opportunity he had this season with Hooper injured, but fair play to the lad for going on loan to Blackburn to try and get some goals and improve.

Got to admire that and hope he comes back and fulfils the potential we all saw last season.