Are L##DS a far bigger club than us

33 minutes ago, WAWAWestwood said:

Sheffield isn't big enough to be honest 

Doubt we'd get most from there, we'd take all the new glory hunters from surrounding areas.

Worked in Chesie for example, hardly any Wednesday there, all Man Utd and Liverpool, that kinda locale would become bigtime Wednesday if we got a decent team.

Edited by Zed

As has been said elswhere,leeds were quite a force under Revie for around a decade,prior to that they were nothing of note and since the mid 70s theyve lived on past glories of that infamous Revie era,apart from a brief resurgance under o leary that left them where theyve been ever since,in the mire with us.

There a simular size to us in all honesty,our rivalry with our neighbours has always held both clubs back really in terms of support,while leeds can call on european honours during their golden days we have more domestic honours.

I think you could argue attandance wise on any given saturday more sheffield people would be watching football in the city if you took both sides bieng at home as opposed to the one club in leeds.

Edited by legendaryswan

Can't stand them but one Leeds statistic stands out for me, that record European cup crowd away at Celtic 136,505 I mean blimey... (Pretty much all Celtic fans admitted). 

Had a flick through their history book in a bookshop in Leeds and TBF if you read through their memorable matches section from the Revie era, it is pretty impressive, league titles, cup finals and huge European matches whilst in the Wednesday version our memorable match of that era was avoiding relegation to the fourth division by beating Southend. 

That's well in the past now admittedly and to me we are pretty much on a par ATM.

I think Leeds is the 3rd largest city in the UK, Sheffield 5th just behind Glasgow. What is noticeable; apart from Bradford, all the major cities top 10 at least, all have at least 2 football teams playing pro football in their respective leagues. In real terms Leeds support is fairly poor, in context they should be able to achieve 60k regularly in comparison with other major cities.

14 hours ago, Soul Power said:

Its a No from me. Having worked in Leeds I know for a fact with the success they had relatively recently they have attracted a large number of fans who are not neccessarily from Leeds. Their away support comes from all over the country due to this success. If we had achieved the same level of success over the past 50 years our crowds now would blow them out of the water. They also have a significant lunatic fringe which attracts further idiots, this lot are still living in the 70's and 80's.

The last sentence is a fact 

End of thread 

Leeds are not bigger than Wednesday. They are both similar in size and depending on external factors such as; division, how the club is run, how successful they are at the time, will depend on who gets the bigger gates.

In terms of support around the country, yes they have support all around, but so do we. Admittedly I look out for it more, but I've seen far more Wednesday fans in Manchester than Leeds fans. 

I'm also not using one club city of catchment area as an excuse. The bottom line is that on any given day we can match or beat their support, irrespective of blade fans. I couldn't have that confidence with Man u, Liverpool or Arsenal.

And for the record Villa are without shadow of a doubt the biggest club in the division.

Leeds are not bigger than Wednesday. They are both similar in size and depending on external factors such as; division, how the club is run, how successful they are at the time, will depend on who gets the bigger gates.

In terms of support around the country, yes they have support all around, but so do we. Admittedly I look out for it more, but I've seen far more Wednesday fans in Manchester than Leeds fans. 

I'm also not using one club city of catchment area as an excuse. The bottom line is that on any given day we can match or beat their support, irrespective of blade fans. I couldn't have that confidence with Man u, Liverpool or Arsenal.

And for the record Villa are without shadow of a doubt the biggest club in the division.

Are L##DS a far bigger club than us ?

Does anyone really care?  They gained a reputation in the 70's and 80's for being a team willing to adopt underhand tactics to win at any price - which  they have never shaken off - causing them to be disliked by most people outside Leeds to this day . Most people have been delighted to see them struggle for the last 10 or more years . 

Edited by kikka

16 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Really?, which away games have you been to where they sing about Leeds?...I can't remember many

14 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Ok mate...Anyone on here that watches Sky super Sunday etc...How many times have you heard fans of other clubs singin' about Leeds when they are not playing Leeds....80% of 'em? lol

Just for the sake of fairness, you never said anything about fans of other clubs signing about Leeds when they weren't playing Leeds, you said fans of other clubs don't sing about Leeds full stop!

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 07:52, zico.b said:

Leeds facts for the debate.

League Titles - 3 (SWFC - 4)

FA Cup - 1 (SWFC - 3)

League Cup - 1 (SWFC - 1)

Ground - Rented (SWFC - Owned)

Average Attendance - 26,040 (SWFC - 26,894)

City Rivals Average Attendance - One Team City (SUFC - 20,141)

This

Seasons in top division  SWFC  66-50 LUFC

Highest Average Attendance  SWFC 42,634 – 39,752 LUFC

Are Leeds far bigger than us? No, no they aren’t

16 hours ago, selbyowls said:

1991-1992 The season Leeds won championship, 2nd Manchester United, 3rd Owls<last season before prem>

No. Club Div Average  
1 Manchester United 1 44.984 4,1%
2 Liverpool 1 34.799 -3,4%
3 Arsenal 1 31.905 -13,5%
4 Sheffield Wednesday 1 29.560 11,1%
5 Leeds United 1 29.459 0,5%
6 Tottenham Hotspur 1 27.761 -9,4%
7 Manchester City 1 27.690 -0,7%
8 Aston Villa 1 24.818 -3,3%
9 Nottingham Forest 1 23.721 7,2%
10 Everton 1 23.148 -7,5%
11 Sheffield United 1 22.097 3,0%
12 West Ham United 1 21.342 -5,4%
13 Newcastle United 2 21.148 25,6%
14 Chelsea 1 18.686 -9,9%
15 Sunderland 2 18.390 -18,5%
16 Crystal Palace 1 17.618 -10,4%
17 Leicester City 2 15.202 31,7%
18 Oldham Athletic 1 15.087 13,9%
19 Middlesbrough 2 14.703 -13,6%
20 Derby County 2 14.664 -9,8%
21 Ipswich Town 2 14.274 21,3%
22 Southampton 1 14.070 -8,7%
23 Coventry City 1 13.876 0,6%
24 Norwich City 1 13.858 -10,4%
25 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 13.743 -13,2%
26 Queens Park Rangers 1 13.592 0,5%
27 Blackburn Rovers 2 13.250 63,1%
28 Stoke City 3 13.007 12,5%
29 West Bromwich Albion 3 12.711 6,0%
30 Birmingham City 3 12.400 76,4

Nothing to do with the Leeds debate, but think this shows how the timing of our demise has affected us, other than us, Blades, Leeds and Forest (the clubs who have spent a while outside the PL) all the other "big" clubs average attendances have grown by at least 50%, with many growing by over 100%, ours has held up well all things considered, but had we stayed in the PL during the sky tv/football boom years and our growth continued in line with other similar sized clubs, we would have had to either move to larger stadium or (preferably) have extended the capacity of Hillsborough to keep up with the demand of our supporters.  Hopefully we are finally on our way back and will be able to compete with some of these clubs who think they overtaken us and left us  behind very soon.