Richard Wood

14 hours ago, BIG D said:

Really cannot stand the bloke. 

To put in a transfer request when he was our club captain was shameful. The fact that he moved to Coventry to further his career is absolutely hilarious.

Quite fitting then in what will more than likely be his last ever appearance at Hillsborough he gave away the last minute penalty and bagged a red card into the bargain.

lol 

He was manipulated into that position by Laws (by Laws' own admission), and actually signed for Coventry for less than he was on at Hillsborough. Why does his being captain mean it was wrong to put in a transfer request anyway? 

Due to my illness I couldn't go on Saturday, and had to laugh when Wood got sent off. Laws (who in my opinion is the worst pundit on Radio Sheffield) said, "it must be down to the language barrier". What the 'eck was that all about? 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

I'm afraid that's absolute garbage. 

Wood was was a very good player at the level we played at, and without doubt one of our better players. In terms of 'worst centre back', off the top of my head I'll give you Cranson, Brannigan, May, Reda Johnson, Purse, Blatsis, Branston, Coleman, Crane, Diallo, Maddix. 

Give me another 20 minutes and I could name you another 20. 

Martin Taylor.

some people still holding a grudge against Wood, even not accepting what he said in that video!

At the time i was incensed he put in a request and wanted out for more cash which was my understanding - but in the day and age of modern football, this stuff happens all the time, look at FF. After seeing the video, at least i've heard his side of the story. Who do you believe? Him, the club, terrace talk???

Don't really care about Wood either way. He was sold, and that was it for me

16 hours ago, BIG D said:

Really cannot stand the bloke. 

To put in a transfer request when he was our club captain was shameful. The fact that he moved to Coventry to further his career is absolutely hilarious.

Quite fitting then in what will more than likely be his last ever appearance at Hillsborough he gave away the last minute penalty and bagged a red card into the bargain.

lol 

Don't get why people look down on someone moving to a 'little team' like Coventry. Probably got a whacking great signing on fee, more money then I will ever see in wages and playing a sport for a living.

If that is a bobbar life then where do I sign up.

4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Don't get why people look down on someone moving to a 'little team' like Coventry. Probably got a whacking great signing on fee, more money then I will ever see in wages and playing a sport for a living.

If that is a bobbar life then where do I sign up.

Its more what has happened to Coventry ever since. 

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

I cannot take seriously the opinion of a bloke who told us  abdi is the best midfielder in the championship ......we've had far worse than wood and would be amazed if anyone on here apart from the odd loony would agree with you ..

I'm not asking you to take my opinion seriously

Do what you want with it

But to use my opinion on Wood to have a go at Abdi says everything about this site at the moment

And i have never seen a centre back play for us with worse positional sense than Wood - possible exception of Chris Carr

And its quite evident that others do share a similar opinion

But yeah, we're all loonies for not sharing your opinion

Your arrogance and confidence in your own opinion and dismissal of others is astounding

Guest mrbluesky
12 hours ago, scram said:

Vies with Dean Smith as the worst centre back to play for us in the last 40 years

Bit harsh that,theirs a far few before him.

3 hours ago, vulva said:

I'm afraid that's absolute garbage. 

Wood was was a very good player at the level we played at, and without doubt one of our better players. In terms of 'worst centre back', off the top of my head I'll give you Cranson, Brannigan, May, Reda Johnson, Purse, Blatsis, Branston, Coleman, Crane, Diallo, Maddix. 

Give me another 20 minutes and I could name you another 20. 

Completely agree with that. I was disappointed with Wood with the way he left, obviously 2 sides to the story and the club were in a bad way at the time but even in that interview that is supposed to show some sort of sympathy for him he comes across as wanting more money at a time when we were financially crippled and was eager to move on from the club that had given him a chance in professional football, to move to a club that were no better placed financially in the mid to long term. He was clearly very badly advised.

To say he is one of the worst centre-backs we have had in 40 years is plain wrong. He did a decent job for us in the promotion season and the season after. He was too slow on the turn to be really effective in the Championship but was no worse for us than any of the players Vulva has listed (Reda was dire before he found his position at left-back) plus the likes of Taylor, Westwood etc.

Purse and Maddix may have been better overall players during their career but by the time they came to us they were way past their best and made far less of a contribution than Wood to swfc.

Guest mrbluesky
14 hours ago, BIG D said:

I've no intention of watching a bloke who struggles to construct a sentence lie through his teeth.

The irony of the above post!:tango:lol:manager:

I've not read most of this thread, but all I can say is I heard it from his own mouth. I went to the pre-season tour in Malta and was talking to him privately at a barbecue arranged by the club. He said he was leaving for an extra grand a week and wanted to earn as much as he could for his family before he retired. I told him he was daft, he came through the ranks and was club captain, surely an extra grand a week can't mean more than the possibility of becoming a cult hero at Wednesday. His reply was "you've got get what you can out of the game (meaning money)"  I suppose everybody to there own but he must be kicking himself now

18 minutes ago, Guvner said:

I've not read most of this thread, but all I can say is I heard it from his own mouth. I went to the pre-season tour in Malta and was talking to him privately at a barbecue arranged by the club. He said he was leaving for an extra grand a week and wanted to earn as much as he could for his family before he retired. I told him he was daft, he came through the ranks and was club captain, surely an extra grand a week can't mean more than the possibility of becoming a cult hero at Wednesday. His reply was "you've got get what you can out of the game (meaning money)"  I suppose everybody to there own but he must be kicking himself now

A grand a week for a player that didn't probably earn very much was probably a huge increase and hard to turn down

I think he could have handled leaving better than he did - but i don't blame him for following a significant wage increase

Don't know why people slate him and don't know why some defend him. He was a bit of a bobbar from a shitty era full of shits.  

For me it's like bumping into an ex that left you because she couldn't see you vision, with a much fitter bird on your arm. But to top it off she fell over staring at you and exposed her pastry to the rest of the world. Who wouldn't grin. 

Enjoy the laugh and let the good times roll. Wawaw.

17 hours ago, Middlewood Owl said:

He seems to have been around forever, he must be even older than a really old south stand season ticket holder.

Don't you mean older than a really young south stand ST holder? Otherwise as old as Yoda, he would be