Jordan Rhodes, on loan

9 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

This debate really depends on what budget we have in Jan.

If we strengthen the squad like I suggest and add Rhodes to that then fair enough.

Just sign Rhodes and it's a no from me. 

But in respect of pace. The issue with that is being able to stretch teams (esp away) which opens the pitch up and gives the likes of Bannan, FF and Lee the room to show their quality. If you can't see that then I think we watch different games

I have made this point in the JJ thread. Name me a player or a team with pace over the last 30 years that has been succesful for us. 

I can name you a host of wider players who have had no or little pace that made a massive impact to our successes 

Just now, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Reach  Buckley FF Wallace...

All have pace and are all capable of beating a man and can all play wide....

Hooper and Rhodes both goal scorers...

We need two for cover and to get out of this division...

Fletcher and Nuhiu both link and hold up players ...

We need two for cover and to get out of this division...

Joao and FF Different options up to if needed and we need both of them..

Rhodes and a quality  CB for cover is all that is needed we have a great squad just fine tune it in Jan and we'll be there or there abouts...maybe even top 2...UTO...

Not sure about Wallace for pace but I do agree with him Buckley and reach and lee and FF we have enough creativity to have hooper and Rhodes firing plenty of goals. 

31 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

People really live in a simple world. Low goal scorers, sign Rhodes, problem solved. 

We are not low goal scorers because of the lack of firepower, we don't know what to do when teams sit deep, we have no plan B.

I will beat the drum just like I did the minute the PO final ended, addressing the complete lack of pace in our team remains our biggest problem.

Nail on head. A lot of our fans just can't see it. 

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Shame Liverpool couldn't be tempted to let that young lad out on loan, Alexander-Arnold I think. 

Looked a great player in the cup v Leeds and has rave reviews.

Our use of the premier league youth system over the years has been very poor.

Not sure about the Liverpool lad don't know anything about him but I agree we don't seem to get the best out of prem loanees. I think we need a more experienced centre half though because the most likely to get injured is loovens ad when we lose his experience we lose our balance. 

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Err there is a world of difference between JJ opening the pitch up for Potter or JOC than for somebody doing the same for Bannan or FF

i have watched much better players than bannan and FF and sides with better players didn't need pace our best teams over my life time have been with wingers who had skill and a great ability to pick out a ball in the box. 

Funnily ly enough this is what Rhodes has thrived on his entire career. If he comes watch how many assists Wallace gets. It will increase massively. 

4 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

He certainly isn't some kind of creative force you imply. Do you see him pinging quality balls in every game, that we subsequently miss (that Rhodes wouldn't)

If that's the case me and you don't watch the same games

It makes me wonder what planet some of our fans are on yes we must watch different games. 

He only has 2 assists this season from 12 starts. He's created 20 chances. He was one of our most creative players assists wise and creating chances last season as well. 

Oh oh and our rise in form lately aligns to both him and FF starting again. 

Anyhow carry on

Edited by kidc77

I would be very surprised if we get Rhodes. I see Rhodes as a very similar player to Gary Hooper, proven goalscorers at this level but the system we play doesn't play to a natural goalscorers strength as they find themselves outside the box more often than they find themselves in it.

We'll definitely sign a centre half but I don't see us doing much other business apart from trying to off load some out of favour players in the January Window.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't understand why you seem to be getting so upset by this?

I know Rhodes has scored an incredible amount of goals. I also know that Hooper has a better minutes per goal ratio than Rhodes in each of their last three seasons at this level, which might suggest that he'd score as many goals given the same minutes on the pitch. Stats alone aren't the be all and end all here, as there are different ways of interpreting them in favour of either player.

All I'm asking is: ignore the stats for a minute - what makes Rhodes a better striker than Hooper?

It's a genuine question that for some reason you seem to be getting annoyed by. Earlier in the thread, @Bluesteel suggested that Rhodes is calmer in front of goal than Hooper, which at least starts to explain why people think he'd be a better bet.

I think Blackburn were a mid table side too, In recent years Hooper has usually played for better sides.

Its a great headache to have but I think Rhodes has the potential to outscore Hooper in a top championship team.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

I think Blackburn were a mid table side too, In recent years Hooper has usually played for better sides.

Its a great headache to have but I think Rhodes has the potential to outscore Hooper in a top championship team.

Beyond him being calmer in front of goal, are there any other attributes that you think make him better than Hooper? Would you see him forming a partnership with Hooper or playing instead of him?

One thing I've been impressed by with Hooper is his link-up play and wider contribution to our attacking play - some of his little flicks and passes out wide are brilliant at times. Is Rhodes similar in style, or is he very much a penalty-box finisher as others have alluded to?

Rhodes is just Rhodes. He doesn't do much else but score goals on a very regular basis. But that is kind of fortunate because those that score goals on a very regular basis add something that every team needs. If he only touches the ball three times every game but walks off the pitch with two goals, most people will be satisfied.

15 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

So last season these chances we were taking but this season we are not I assume you are saying.

On that basis why has this creative wizard been left out on numerous games this season?

Just provided the stats from his 12 starts 2 assists from 20 chances 

want to ignore the facts again or shall I leave it there?

46 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Rhodes is just Rhodes. He doesn't do much else but score goals on a very regular basis. But that is kind of fortunate because those that score goals on a very regular basis add something that every team needs. If he only touches the ball three times every game but walks off the pitch with two goals, most people will be satisfied.

Not when you lose 3-2

Rhodes does something our other strikers seem unable to do.

He gets on the end of crosses into the box. His anticipation and movement in the box is exceptional and he is great in the air in the box. He scores headed goals, at the moment we don't.

People keep quoting last 3 years.

They have been far from the best years for Rhodes. In a Blackburn team that was falling apart and a Boro manager who doesn't want him. Still ok age wise tho.

Lets sign him up and make him a hero 

Nobody convinces me Rhodes is what we need we have enough forwards when fit, from what I'm seeing we have been too slow moving the ball from defence to attack giving opposition time to get back into defensive shape. IMO what we need is midfield player who can give and go and get us moving quicker through that area and in addition if Buckley is not the answer, someone playing out wide with pace to give us a plan B.

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Rhodes does something our other strikers seem unable to do.

He gets on the end of crosses into the box. His anticipation and movement in the box is exceptional and he is great in the air in the box. He scores headed goals, at the moment we don't.

People keep quoting last 3 years.

They have been far from the best years for Rhodes. In a Blackburn team that was falling apart and a Boro manager who doesn't want him. Still ok age wise tho.

Lets sign him up and make him a hero 

Even with all the above in mind in respect of Blackburn and boro manager not playing him he still got the goals too 

46 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

So last season these chances we were taking but this season we are not I assume you are saying.

On that basis why has this creative wizard been left out on numerous games this season?

Also missed the bottom comment. So let's just look back at our current good form. And who was back involved when it started to now. Oh  yeah a settled side with Wallace and FF in it. Amazing isn't it how just like last season it seems to play out the same with the run of form.