Jordan Rhodes, on loan

8 hours ago, kidc77 said:

People saying no and he is t as good as hooper lol our fans make me laugh. He's been the top striker ourt side of the prem for years and some of our fans turning their noses up at him lol incredible stuff

I'm not saying Hooper's an overall better player than Rhodes, but his goals ratio at this level is certainly better...

Hooper's minutes per goal ratios in his last three seasons at Championship level:

158' - last season with us
122' - 14/15 season with Norwich
144' - 09/10 season with Scunthorpe

Rhodes' minutes per goal ratios in his last three seasons at Championship level:

209' - last season with Blackburn and Middlesbrough
167' - 14/15 season with Blackburn
161' - 13/14 season with Blackburn

Genuine question, as I've not seen much of Rhodes other than against us: what does Rhodes offer that Hooper doesn't?

6 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Hooper's last two season have been played with teams that have made the play offs.

Rhodes has played with a bang average mid table team.

But as stated above I don't think Rhodes is the answer for us, it just looks good on paper

True. Though Rhodes also had half a season playing for a team who achieved automatic promotion last season, and Scunthorpe certainly weren't a great team when Hooper played for them!

I'm not saying Hooper's the better player, as I haven't seen enough of Rhodes to make that call. As far as I'm aware though, they're similar players in so far as they tend to be the 'finisher' in their teams, rather than offering a great deal beyond that for the most part?

Guest wilyfox

Even with Hooper and Fletcher, I still think a strong case can be made for Rhodes. Fletcher always seems to be an injury doubt, both here and at Sunderland. He misses a number of our games. Without doubt, Rhodes is better in the air than Hooper. They could pair up. FF is having a turbulent season; It's been one thing after another. Joao and Nuhiu haven't scored a league goal for us since February. Rhodes on loan would be a no-brainer, in my opinion. Stronger with than without, and also stops a rival getting him. 

5 minutes ago, steveger said:

we need a whole new midfield, players that can create opportunities, have needed it since the days of Brunt and Whelan...

I really like the high energy midfield of Hutch and Lee but it lacks creativity.

Really difficult to get both creativity and workrate.

Palmer Sheridan is a template we will find hard, almost impossible to replicate. 

Edited by Beholder

I'm still enjoying the fact that people think Rhodes is the only player we'll sign in January and that it's a wasted signing due to our lack of creativity.

im pretty sure Carlos and Chansiri will know Rhodes needs chances and they might be planning on signing a couple more players in January to help with that? 

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I'm still enjoying the fact that people think Rhodes is the only player we'll sign in January and that it's a wasted signing due to our lack of creativity.

im pretty sure Carlos and Chansiri will know Rhodes needs chances and they might be planning on signing a couple more players in January to help with that? 

Someone like Abdi perhaps, or Will Buckley...

Guest The Horse

Rhodes is as clinical a finisher in this league as you can get.

We talk of not creating chances but (in my opinion of Course) if Rhodes had some of Hooper's chances this season we'd be a few places higher in the league. 

In a Championship where fine margins are the difference, he could see us on the right side more than not. 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not saying Hooper's an overall better player than Rhodes, but his goals ratio at this level is certainly better...

Hooper's minutes per goal ratios in his last three seasons at Championship level:

158' - last season with us
122' - 14/15 season with Norwich
144' - 09/10 season with Scunthorpe

Rhodes' minutes per goal ratios in his last three seasons at Championship level:

209' - last season with Blackburn and Middlesbrough
167' - 14/15 season with Blackburn
161' - 13/14 season with Blackburn

Genuine question, as I've not seen much of Rhodes other than against us: what does Rhodes offer that Hooper doesn't?

Now go back and have a look just how many goals he has scored over the last five seasons and compare to hooper. 

I really rate hooper and for me is one of the best in this division but anyone who thinks Rhodes isn't the best forward outside the prem seriously need their bumps feeling. 

I think Rhodes would prefer coming to us with his dad here than aston villa where he would not guarantee a starting place ,not sure though we can afford to pay most of his appx 60k a week wages , we have far too many players on very very good wages who carlos don't want in club. these players should have been  kept fit with match practice in u23s or behind closed doors games then they would be nearly upto speed if we needed them now we are getting loads of injures ,what other club has around 12 players who are not allowed to be involved, let him off with dielna as he was here be4 carlos came rest have arrived while he has been here.and anyone who thinks any will leave in January are deluded ,maybe dielna may try for loan and take a wage cut as if he don't he is finished as a footballer as who would take him on in summer knowing he aint played in appx 2years. I wouldn't be surprised by 1st jan with busy xmas schedule and our worsening injury list and our reject list than upto 20players may be unavailable  

3 minutes ago, kidc77 said:

Now go back and have a look just how many goals he has scored over the last five seasons and compare to hooper. 

I really rate hooper and for me is one of the best in this division but anyone who thinks Rhodes isn't the best forward outside the prem seriously need their bumps feeling. 

Both have great strike rates, but when you look at Rhodes play, he's so much calmer in taking his chance.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Bearing in mind the rumour that it is a loan (although an expensive one)

Its worth trying isn't it? If it doesn't work then we cut our cloth in the summer and it is out of our system.

Yes - if Chansiri is prepared to front the cash, it's a no brainer. We're not going to be stuck with someone on a long contract and, on his day, Rhodes is the best in the Championship at what he does. I certainly wouldn't like to facing a team with Rhodes in it any time during the play-offs. He just seems to have the knack of scoring against us when it matters.