Jordan Rhodes, on loan

39 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Dont think Rhodes will wait for us to sort that out he'd go to Villa instead.

we need to get Rhodes in ASAP and then spend the rest of January signing a player with pace and creativity.

We need to copy Boro and sign Rhodes and a creative player like Ramirez. Hope there's one going in Jan!

But I don't even think the Boro manager wanted Rhodes, might we be making the same mistake

13 hours ago, kidc77 said:

Cant believe I'm wasting my time bringing up stats that are blatantly easy to see for anyone with a quarter of a brain cell but here goes I will leave these here even though the clowns who think he isn't the answer will still stick to the sameviews

gary hooper

http://www.garyhooper88.com/gary-statistics.html

Jordan rhodes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Rhodes

towards the bottom gives a run down of goals in the champions ship and last year was the first time he has scored under 20, 10 with Blackburn 6 with boro. Now the reason for me why he didn't hit 20 was about ten of the 18 appearances for boro were as a substitute and often late. 

Thats ts four years consistently scoring goals at this level and most of the time in a rapidly diminishing Blackburn side. 

But it anyone wanting to ignore the fact he's the best striker for this league carry on regardless. 

Let's be properly right here, only those with half a brain cell believe stat's they are hand fed!

Stat's by there very definition can be made to read however the presenter wants them to, only those with a better brain cell count look to the "missing" stat's or the alternative view point..

13 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

Let's be properly right here, only those with half a brain cell believe stat's they are hand fed!

Stat's by there very definition can be made to read however the presenter wants them to, only those with a better brain cell count look to the "missing" stat's or the alternative view point..

You talk some right poo captain on a statistical basis of 99.9% of the time

Edited by kidc77

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

But I don't even think the Boro manager wanted Rhodes, might we be making the same mistake

It can't be a mistake if it's just a loan. 

I agree if we bought him for a ridiculous fee and he went the way of Abdi it would be a disaster. 

But a striking pool of Rhodes, FF, Fletcher and Hooper is almost the best you could get in the championship, and if we add at least one creative midfielder we'd have the tools to be a very good side. 

Then it's up to the coaching staff and players to do the business on the pitch 

18 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

It can't be a mistake if it's just a loan. 

I agree if we bought him for a ridiculous fee and he went the way of Abdi it would be a disaster. 

But a striking pool of Rhodes, FF, Fletcher and Hooper is almost the best you could get in the championship, and if we add at least one creative midfielder we'd have the tools to be a very good side. 

Then it's up to the coaching staff and players to do the business on the pitch 

I just remembered we have Matias who could be useful at some point. Might be goals in this team... 

Westwood

Hunt      Lees     Loovens    Reach

Lee   Hutchinson  Bannan

Matias           Forestieri 

Rhodes 

The fact that a majority of our fan base seem to think just signing a striker will solve all the problems absolutely baffles me. It's not Football Manager

Fan logic: 

Struggling to score? Buy strikers

Struggling to to keep clean sheets? Sign a centre back, left back, right back and sell Westwood.

16 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

The fact that a majority of our fan base seem to think just signing a striker will solve all the problems absolutely baffles me. It's not Football Manager

Fan logic: 

Struggling to score? Buy strikers

Struggling to to keep clean sheets? Sign a centre back, left back, right back and sell Westwood.

Hooper out injured with no indication of when he will return, the severity of the injury nor chance that it will happen again, Fletcher who has always been a useful player but never a prolific goalscorer, Nuhiu and Joao (least said the better) and Forestieri (feck knows what is going on in his head, his level of motivation and whether indeed he could really give a feck).

19 shots yesterday, 3 of which were on target.

Sitters missed in several games that have ultimately cost points.

Let's turn our noses up at one of the the most clinical and prolific strikers in the Championship in recent times on loan.

That should solve the problem!

:columbo:

4 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Hooper out injured with no indication of when he will return, the severity of the injury nor chance that it will happen again, Fletcher who has always been a useful player but never a prolific goalscorer, Nuhiu and Joao (least said the better) and Forestieri (feck knows what is going on in his head, his level of motivation and whether indeed he could really give a feck).

19 shots yesterday, 3 of which were on target.

Sitters missed in several games that have ultimately cost points.

Let's turn our noses up at one of the the most clinical and prolific strikers in the Championship in recent times on loan.

That should solve the problem!

:columbo:

Hooper has injured his hamstring not done his ACL, so indications are weeks not months. He's no more likely to get injured in future than any other player. 

All players miss chances in spells at some point. The answer isn't always 'buy a new striker'. That approach is just financial suicide. 

And mentioning Forestieris mentality? If he left then yes, get a replacement. But I hardly think we're in a position to be funding FF, Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Joao and Nuhiu (oh and giving George Hirst a game) 

25 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Hooper has injured his hamstring not done his ACL, so indications are weeks not months. He's no more likely to get injured in future than any other player. 

All players miss chances in spells at some point. The answer isn't always 'buy a new striker'. That approach is just financial suicide. 

And mentioning Forestieris mentality? If he left then yes, get a replacement. But I hardly think we're in a position to be funding FF, Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Joao and Nuhiu (oh and giving George Hirst a game) 

I think the team has missed more than the "odd chance" this season and the misses in games like Brentford, Fulham and yesterday have potentially cost points that could prove very costly come the end of the season.

Some, if not many, of the chances are those that a striker of the ilk of Rhodes has made a trademark of scoring in the Championship.

If goals were flowing from other positions in the team, we could carry the lack of goals from the forwards. But this season especially, Lee aside, goals from other positions have added up to the square root of zilch. That makes it doubly or triply important that the strikers bury whatever opportunities come their way.

If Rhodes is indeed available on loan, the greater financial suicide is likely to be not getting him in. That could ultimately cost the club and Chansiri a freakin' fortune!

Guest Kameron

Jordon Rhodes will be no use what so ever in this side as it stands.  Hooper and Fletcher are two very good strikers in teams that create loads of chances, Rhodes is the same, He needs service the thrive.  We have bigger problems to solve before signing another striker.

Guest Kameron

Jordon Rhodes will be no use what so ever in this side as it stands.  Hooper and Fletcher are two very good strikers in teams that create loads of chances, Rhodes is the same, He needs service to thrive.  We have bigger problems to solve before signing another striker.

We are no where good enough to be in a position to turn down Jordan Rhodes. Top player, and would be a perfect fit. Better than any of our current strikers, and the perfect foil for Fletcher, who will think will have a big part to play in the 2nd half of the season. 

I've said before that Hooper offers more as an all round striker than Rhodes, that's why he always gets more assists than Rhodes. There's not a lot in their goal scoring records, except Hooper has played at a better level. Last season these same players were regularly hitting hitting th net, this tells you they have the ability to. 

Theres no guarantee that Rhodes would have magically scored all of our missed chances too. Just look at McCormack who went to Villa for an absolute fortune 

10 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Theres no guarantee that Rhodes would have magically scored all of our missed chances too. Just look at McCormack who went to Villa for an absolute fortune 

To be fair to McCormack he almost scored at Reading yesterday, which is some shot from Birmingham.

I am not arguing the case Hooper OR Rhodes. I think Hooper AND Rhodes might be worth pursuing and less of Nuhiu and Joao. 

The financial side of it is entirely down to Chansiri. I don't know how important in his head it is to maintain a promotion push this season. It would not be the club financing the deal. That one would be entirely down to Chansiri himself. Hooper, Rhodes, Fletcher and Forestieri looks like an enticing foursome to me from which to perm any two or three. Expensive yes but I don't know how Chansiri would see the price of failure. I guess that he has already sunk the thick part of sixty million into the club and, from that perspective, the cost of getting Rhodes in might seem a relatively cheap gamble for a stab at the big prize.

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You don't think Rhodes has ever missed?

Why does it always have to be a straight argument between the merits of the two.

I said in another post it doesn't have to be an 'either or' situation.

Ambitious clubs always look to strengthen, regardless of who the current incumbent is in any position.

Man City had a perfectly good player in the position they bought De Bruyne for.

Arsenal had a perfectly good player in the position they bought Sanchez for.

Newcastle & Villa had numerous options already in every position but still strengthened, as did Brighton with Glenn Murray.

If we sign Rhodes, which in my opinion we desperately need to do, regardless of who plays where & when, it would undoubtedly strengthen the squad.

If people want to argue the merits of their particular 'favourite' at the expense of improving the squad then fine.

If Rhodes is the better player it will quickly become apparent and in a two horse race he will prevail.

If Hooper is and always has been the 'answer' and he puts Rhodes in the shade, then again, in a two horse race he will prevail.  

Either way, it is more competition for places which can only be beneficial, regardless of the hysterical bleatings on here that every new signing has to automatically be selected (a la Abdi & others). Was Abdi a bad signing, or did signing Abdi make the present incumbent of the position, Kieron Lee just go that extra mile to ensure he retained the position. Either way, it is a win win situation. As it is with signing Rhodes. 

Bring it on.