Jordan Rhodes, on loan

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I'm just stunned so few seem excited by the prospect of Rhodes and Forestieri up front. If any team rocked up at Hillsborough with those 2 up top, everyone would be dreading it. 

FF only up top only with Fletcher for me,  on the left with any other option unless we give Nuhiu some game time.   That would potentially include Rhodes if he really does become an option.

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

OK, I can see we're not going to get anywhere here.

Quite obviously, 

let me make these stats as clear as I can 

Over 20 goals per season in championship

Jordan Rhodes 3 out of 4 seasons 

gary hooper 0 out of 2 

Total championship goals 

jordan Rhodes 89 goals in 177 appearances. 

Gary hooper 49 goals in 109 appearances 

now Rhodes has a slightly better goal record but the main point and this is very very important is Rhodes has a better goal rate over a longer period. He has been consistent every year and tbh he played in a diminishing Blackburn side to which probably made this even more impressive. 

Hooper is a great player but he's played ina a expectant Norwich side and a very good Wednseday side. That said he had a good season in the championship with scunny but the division was a little bit different back then with nowhere near the money in this league at the time.  

For or me hooper will score between 15- 20 per season I have always held that view. Rhodes is pretty much a guarantee to get you 20 a season without fail. 

You our cant not want a player that does that it is imbecilic 

1 minute ago, kidc77 said:

Quite obviously, 

let me make these stats as clear as I can 

Over 20 goals per season in championship

Jordan Rhodes 3 out of 4 seasons 

gary hooper 0 out of 2 

Total championship goals 

jordan Rhodes 89 goals in 177 appearances. 

Gary hooper 49 goals in 109 appearances 

now Rhodes has a slightly better goal record but the main point and this is very very important is Rhodes has a better goal rate over a longer period. He has been consistent every year and tbh he played in a diminishing Blackburn side to which probably made this even more impressive. 

Hooper is a great player but he's played ina a expectant Norwich side and a very good Wednseday side. That said he had a good season in the championship with scunny but the division was a little bit different back then with nowhere near the money in this league at the time.  

For or me hooper will score between 15- 20 per season I have always held that view. Rhodes is pretty much a guarantee to get you 20 a season without fail. 

You our cant not want a player that does that it is imbecilic 

Is asked for an explanation not based on stats; responds with more stats.

5 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

The problem is the balance of our team. Just parachuting Rhodes in won't fire us into the top 2.

We have bigger issues than our strikers and that's what we need to address. 

So because we need more options in defence we shouldn't try and bring in the most prolific striker in the championship over the past four years. Great logic. 

1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

People just see Rhodes is available, we get linked and promply forget the bigger picture.

Our problems remain in other areas, go and get Jordan Rhodes or Ronaldo but the problems remain.

We have no pace and if hutch is to remain a centre mid and we lose him, we have no replacement for him in that position or centre back

I agree, if these problems are adressed Rhodes will be a decent signing, if not, I really don't think he will make much difference to our season.

2 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

People just see Rhodes is available, we get linked and promply forget the bigger picture.

Our problems remain in other areas, go and get Jordan Rhodes or Ronaldo but the problems remain.

We have no pace and if hutch is to remain a centre mid and we lose him, we have no replacement for him in that position or centre back

We have Jones. He's not as dominant, but he's shown he's more than capable of doing a job. We defenitely need another CB in January.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't sign Rhodes though.

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

So again where are we forgetting we need a centre half? We also need a right back and I'm not sure about another hutch type player wasn't Jones signed for that role? 

Now now just because we need to strengthen those positions why do we ignore the top striker at championship level?  Also just for the record what has been our biggest problem this season? How many goals have we scored again?  Yet we are sat in the play offs,imagine if we actually do what any one with sense would do and snap up the striker who scores for fun at this level, maybe that would push us to the next level. 

Then in again maybe I have misjudged the whiny flippers in match day threads moaning about how we need a real goal scorer 

4 minutes ago, Think tank said:

I agree, if these problems are adressed Rhodes will be a decent signing, if not, I really don't think he will make much difference to our season.

You see I think there is a massive misconception here. We have only conceded 21 in 19 games. That's the fifth best in the championship yet we are panicking. 

Yet we have only scored 22 and are 13th in goals scored in the division. 

Yepmwe we need cover at centre half yep we need a better right back but absolutely yes we need a Jordan Rhodes 20 a season player. 

Just now, kidc77 said:

You see I think there is a massive misconception here. We have only conceded 21 in 19 games. That's the fifth best in the championship yet we are panicking. 

Yet we have only scored 22 and are 13th in goals scored in the division. 

Yepmwe we need cover at centre half yep we need a better right back but absolutely yes we need a Jordan Rhodes 20 a season player. 

Actually, its not the defence i'm concerned about, its the lack of pace and balance in midfield.

Just now, Think tank said:

Actually, its not the defence i'm concerned about, its the lack of pace and balance in midfield.

Im not going to go into this pace testicles thing I have actually just commented on the JJ thread 

we are in the palyoffs at the moment  there are no massive problems but goals are lower than we expected. Although I think that is down to flipping about with team selection early in the season. The last few games when he went back to pretty much last seasons successful set up things have been much better. 

3 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

People really live in a simple world. Low goal scorers, sign Rhodes, problem solved. 

We are not low goal scorers because of the lack of firepower, we don't know what to do when teams sit deep, we have no plan B.

I will beat the drum just like I did the minute the PO final ended, addressing the complete lack of pace in our team remains our biggest problem.

Shakes head!!!!    

see my other comment just made. 

4 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

People really live in a simple world. Low goal scorers, sign Rhodes, problem solved. 

We are not low goal scorers because of the lack of firepower, we don't know what to do when teams sit deep, we have no plan B.

I will beat the drum just like I did the minute the PO final ended, addressing the complete lack of pace in our team remains our biggest problem.

I wish I could pin this comment 

i actually dont don't think we will get Rhodes. I hope we do mind but if he comes I will come back and show you just how simple football is because if he comes we will be. 

Every succesful team needs a prolific scorer. 

8 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

This debate really depends on what budget we have in Jan.

If we strengthen the squad like I suggest and add Rhodes to that then fair enough.

Just sign Rhodes and it's a no from me. 

But in respect of pace. The issue with that is being able to stretch teams (esp away) which opens the pitch up and gives the likes of Bannan, FF and Lee the room to show their quality. If you can't see that then I think we watch different games

I don't think we will just bring Rhodes in. I think we will hundred percent get a centre half. Not sure beyond that I would like a better right back . If we got Rhodes a centre half of decent calibre and a right back I would be the happiest fan in the league. 

46 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Why do people always assume that two strikers have to be very different from each other to be effective? No two strikers are going to be exactly alike but what was so different in characteristics between say Varadi and Bannister, or Lineker and Beardsley, Cole and Yorke, Shearer and Sheringham?

I think it is more a case of just pure luck. A case of suck it and see. Something that is never known until it's tried.

I think that's a very valid point. You only know for sure about strike partnerships after they gave had a decent run together.

l think this is one of two reasons we should not touch Rhodes in Jan. We cant afford 6/8 games trying to find whether Rhodes/Fletch or Rhodes/FF, or even Rhodes/Joao is the dream team. I have excluded Hooper from this because there is no way he could stay if we got Rhodes.

My second reason is that Hooper is as good as Rhodes. Far bigger priorities.

Reach  Buckley FF Wallace...

All have pace and are all capable of beating a man and can all play wide....

Hooper and Rhodes both goal scorers...

We need two for cover and to get out of this division...

Fletcher and Nuhiu both link and hold up players ...

We need two for cover and to get out of this division...

Joao and FF Different options up to if needed and we need both of them..

Rhodes and a quality  CB for cover is all that is needed we have a great squad just fine tune it in Jan and we'll be there or there abouts...maybe even top 2...UTO...