Forestieri new contract

Fernando Forestieri is the best player in this league, he would walk into any side at this level including Newcastle and Brighton.

Regardless of what's happened before, we have to look at what's best for Sheffield Wednesday, he seems to be rediscovering his form and I think we'd be crazy not to offer him a longer term deal and get him tied down before all the silly speculation starts in January.

It's no co-incidence that our up-turn in form has coincided with the fact that we're finally starting to see the old Fessi and a repeat of what happened in August is the last thing we need. 

2 hours ago, everydayiswednesday said:

Fletcher & Hooper are probably the top earners & Forestierei is by far a better player than both. Either of them could be replaced, i dont think it would be as easy to replace Forestieri. I cant remember us having a player as good as Forestieri for a long time & i have been watching Wednesday for a long, long time. I hope he gets a new long term contract because he is our top player. I know he threw the dummy out but he probably knows how much such as Fletcher & Hooper are on.

It amazes me that the 6 teams above us manage without him.

The world wouldn't end if he left. I hope he stays but it is about the squad getting us promoted not just one player.

FF is the player our fans look to raise the performance of the team.

We say we were poor today because FF was poor.  We don't say we were poor because Bannan or Hooper or Lee was poor

He is the player we expect to play well and raise the performance of the rest of the team. We expect him to cause the opposites problems every game and conjure a goal out of nothing by a bit of magic

Our expectations are higher from him than any other player, shouldn't we expect him to be paid the most

55 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Fernando Forestieri is the best player in this league, he would walk into any side at this level including Newcastle and Brighton.

Regardless of what's happened before, we have to look at what's best for Sheffield Wednesday, he seems to be rediscovering his form and I think we'd be crazy not to offer him a longer term deal and get him tied down before all the silly speculation starts in January.

It's no co-incidence that our up-turn in form has coincided with the fact that we're finally starting to see the old Fessi and a repeat of what happened in August is the last thing we need. 

I love Forestieri as a footballer, he is the best player at our club when he's in the mood, but its only really owls fans that says he's the best player in the division, he really isn't is he? Id swap him for knockaert at Brighton anyday of the week, there is nothing that Forestieri can do that knockaert can't, and ya man at Brighton is more consistent

1 hour ago, everydayiswednesday said:

I bet everyone of the six teams above us would jump at the chance to sign him if they could.

Maybe.

A player of his talents can be a great asset or it can be a handicap. The best teams I've seen are the ones that play as a team, all working together and adding up to more than the sum of the parts. When there is a star it can distort that, it becomes the star and 10 others, you lose the team cohesion.

I'm not saying that is the case with Forestieri, it certainly wasn't last year, maybe it is/was a bit this year. Every one expects a bit of stardust from the guy and when it's not there they don't have a plan B.

I hope he plays a blinder each week, turns down a move in January, gets a new contract and gets to the Premiership with us. If he leaves I hope we can readjust and go on to get promoted. 

I'm not too bothered whether the motive behind his upturn in form is the possibility of a new contract or trying to engineer a move away as long as his performances help Sheffield Wednesday to get positive results, because that's what matters most to me way above any individual. 

Think we should tie him down long term, for me he's virtually irreplaceable at this level because of what he offers, hopefully a new deal would lead to the consistent top level performances of last year 

7 hours ago, Copthorneowl said:

Matey that's a very fair and sensible point of view which I won't argue against. 

I suppose as a supporter you kinda want everybody to support the whole thing. As he's by far the best we've got and crucial to our progress it's probably psychological that FF lovers would like the whole fan base to feel supportive. What will happen is we'll win games from time to time due to his brilliance and there will be some fans still not happy - is that right? or healthy? Maybe it doesn't matter as you suggest.

By nature I'm a forgive (but not forget) type of person if an apology is offered fine life's too short etc. Can't hold grudges.

Yep. that is very likely. Will always happen with all clubs. I bet even Ronaldo gets stick on Madrid Talk :)

Well I'm breaking ranks from the big love in.

My opinion.

As a striker he has scored 3 free-play goals in the last 12 months. Anyone who says that makes him the best player in the Championsip...sorry that's nonesense.

As a winger he is unstoppable, a phenomena, a combination of pace, unbelievable control, an ability to go inside and outside, able to shoot genuinely equally with right or left, can beat a man for fun, can and does chase back when we don't have the ball.....and full of goals.

Right now, he has to play up front. But when Hooper is back, or if we get Rhodes, moving him from being a very ordinary striker to being a very brilliant winger will be the difference between us getting promotion or not.

Guest Copthorneowl
43 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Well I'm breaking ranks from the big love in.

My opinion.

As a striker he has scored 3 free-play goals in the last 12 months. Anyone who says that makes him the best player in the Championsip...sorry that's nonesense.

As a winger he is unstoppable, a phenomena, a combination of pace, unbelievable control, an ability to go inside and outside, able to shoot genuinely equally with right or left, can beat a man for fun, can and does chase back when we don't have the ball.....and full of goals.

Right now, he has to play up front. But when Hooper is back, or if we get Rhodes, moving him from being a very ordinary striker to being a very brilliant winger will be the difference between us getting promotion or not.

Dont think I've ever said he's the best player in the champ because he scored  3 free play goals etc. etc. Your 4th para bigs him up probably as much as I've ever done.

My opinion of his ability is nothing to do with any statistics it's on what I've seen with my eyes time and again and comparing what he can and does do with anybody else In this league, including lots of things; controlling difficult balls, beating players, laying on passes recovering the ball, using two feet I could go on and on believe me and probably like many others I've played the game at a high level for money. Not that that is of any importance at all other than to point  I understand the game.

Somebody earlier reckoned Knockheart who is very good is better than FF. Just opinions I don't agree at all they are entirely different players but imo there is no comparison Knockheart will never impact games like Forestiero he will be busier all over the pitch, but he won't take defenders to the cleaners like FF will. 

Imo he's got to play where he plays right now CC has got him in the right position and our other strikers have to step up to the plate.

3 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Dont think I've ever said he's the best player in the champ because he scored  3 free play goals etc. etc. Your 4th para bigs him up probably as much as I've ever done.

My opinion of his ability is nothing to do with any statistics it's on what I've seen with my eyes time and again and comparing what he can and does do with anybody else In this league, including lots of things; controlling difficult balls, beating players, laying on passes recovering the ball, using two feet I could go on and on believe me and probably like many others I've played the game at a high level for money. Not that that is of any importance at all other than to point  I understand the game.

Somebody earlier reckoned Knockheart who is very good is better than FF. Just opinions I don't agree at all they are entirely different players but imo there is no comparison Knockheart will never impact games like Forestiero he will be busier all over the pitch, but he won't take defenders to the cleaners like FF will. 

Imo he's got to play where he plays right now CC has got him in the right position and our other strikers have to step up to the plate.

Hope you let him win at table football?

No you haven't, I know. My footballing eyes are reasonably discerning too, and he is a magnificent player, but not a striker. I wouldn't have Bolt running a marathon or Mo running the 100m. 

I agree that that right now he has to play up front alongside Lucas. Hope they continue as they did at Wolves

Guest Copthorneowl
8 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Hope you let him win at table football?

No you haven't, I know. My footballing eyes are reasonably discerning too, and he is a magnificent player, but not a striker. I wouldn't have Bolt running a marathon or Mo running the 100m. 

I agree that that right now he has to play up front alongside Lucas. Hope they continue as they did at Wolves

I agree Holmowl he is probably not a pure central striker but he surely is a front man coming in from the left or alongside a striker able to score goals. 

To be honest matey I think we're in danger of splitting hairs here. In short up front amongst it all probably comin in from the left hows that for you - and.........Carlos knows best.

He won the table footie.

19 hours ago, Copthorneowl said:

Im fully up with the smell of the coffee. I know what he did but how long are you going to hold this against him.

I like everybody else was gutted by what he did and was in the group of SWFC fans at Norwich that were singing F***k Forestiero to the tune we sing when praising him were you in that group.  BUT since that time he's written a letter of apology to the fans publicly apologised to the chairman, given innumerable pledges of faith, contributed a huge sum to a coaches wife's cancer treatment and also since that time on the pitch scored several goals two winners and an equaliser in three games prior to the last two And been publicly backed by our manager.

How long will this go on if he's never going to be forgiven then that's sad. Fortunately while growing up I've made some real mistakes in my life but happily those close to me have (apart from hammering me at the time) seen fit to forgive me and get on with life. Why can't you forgive him he's such a great player and seems to want to be part of our club.

I just cannotunderstandhow people can't forgive and refuse absolutely to believe they have gone through life blameless.

I will continue to stand his corner and hope he is not driven away by those who hate him.

Fantastic post, mate!  Empathy & understanding.  It seems in these right-wing times people are forgetting these two key things in living a happy life.  Political boll*cks aside, how can you not support our best player when it's obvious we'd be a much lesser team without him, would struggle to find a replacement of his quality for the money and as you say, he's desperate to be forgiven?! 

16 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

i agree we  want whats best for Sheffield  Wednesday but i'm not sure giving in to players who want a pay rise 1 year into a 4 year deal is the way to go about it ....if forestieri wasn't happy with the deal he got when he signed then he should have signed a 2 year deal and he would now be in a position of strength when it comes to getting a pay rise  .that he choose to sign a 4 year deal which gave him some security even if he had turned out to be a dud is down to him .

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, Jazzybmzoo said:

Fantastic post, mate!  Empathy & understanding.  It seems in these right-wing times people are forgetting these two key things in living a happy life.  Political boll*cks aside, how can you not support our best player when it's obvious we'd be a much lesser team without him, would struggle to find a replacement of his quality for the money and as you say, he's desperate to be forgiven?! 

Appreciate your comment matey.

29 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i agree we  want whats best for Sheffield  Wednesday but i'm not sure giving in to players who want a pay rise 1 year into a 4 year deal is the way to go about it ....if forestieri wasn't happy with the deal he got when he signed then he should have signed a 2 year deal and he would now be in a position of strength when it comes to getting a pay rise  .that he choose to sign a 4 year deal which gave him some security even if he had turned out to be a dud is down to him .

What would you do if your company brought someone in to do the same job as you but paid them more only you were much better at the job then they were?  If that happened to me I would ask for a pay increase.  In fact it has happened to me and I did ask for (and was given) a pay increase.