Official January Transfer Window Thread

12 minutes ago, vulva said:

What, getting rid of a player who doesn't want to play for us, another who isn't good enough and another who has had more injuries than Evil Knievel, and replacing them with and prolific goal scorer at this level, and a young promising full back. 

And making and savings a few quid. 

Sounds like great business to me. 

How can you be so sure Forestieri doesn't want to play for us? Have you asked him? lol 

I'm willing to bet 20 quid he'll be a Wednesday player come February 1st. 

26 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Probably logical / guesswork from Nixon

We've known for awhile that Fernando is likely to leave ... and we'll be scratching around for a replacement on deadline day 

Ditto, no-one knows anything, and if you think you know, you know less than the rest of us.. 

4 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

'We've known for a while ff is leaving '

why? Chansiri has said many times nobody is for sale ?

I think only FF leaving will trigger any big-money signing up front.

I always thought FF is similar to McCormack as a player, but may be a better fit to the system/club? 

Forestieri is a class above anything else in this division, Matias and Joao have potential to be very good players. Rhodes is a goalscorer, and a mid table championship player. We are slowly strangling the flair that made us so refreshing last season.

Guest Copthorneowl
24 minutes ago, JaddyOwl said:

I agree get rid of Fessi and wave tgis season and next season goodbye 

everyone blames forestieri when things are off.

The mans injured and still trying to play. The rest of the team look weak without him in 95% of the games.

Carlos always implores a unit mentality we are Wednesday! But the rest of the team are slow and predictable without him. Bannan is much sharper and drives forward when hes in. When he plays on the left he gives width, pace and an extra line of defence because he may lose balls but how many other players run all the way back just to win the ball back off the opposition.

I fear with everyone on his back we will push him out rather than it been that he wants to leave.

We know hes a temperamental player so nurture him not force his hand. Some players require the hard stick but I think he needs an arm round him with reassurance.

Lets get off his back and encourage his impact and skill on our team....

Excellent post but don't hold your breath the anti FF brigade can't seem to see how losing him will impact on us, at the end of the day I suppose it's just opinions but what a terrific player to keep hammering .......takes all sorts I suppose.

36 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Excellent post but don't hold your breath the anti FF brigade can't seem to see how losing him will impact on us, at the end of the day I suppose it's just opinions but what a terrific player to keep hammering .......takes all sorts I suppose.

Some folks won't be happy until we've created the Blackburn team of a few years ago

2 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

I don't want forestieri out, but a forestieri who isn't bothered and not putting 100% in isn't worth playing. 

Why should we pander to him just because he's our best player?

As Carlos says, we are Sheffield Wednesday. No player is more important than the others and he expects the same commitment from the whole team. If we start making exceptions for FF just because he's the most talented what message does that send out to the rest of the squad. 

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Forestieri is a class above anything else in this division, Matias and Joao have potential to be very good players. Rhodes is a goalscorer, and a mid table championship player. We are slowly strangling the flair that made us so refreshing last season.

Last season he was. This year, we've squeezed half a dozen performances out of him. 

As for Joao and Matias...yes, potential. But, potential won't get us promoted. 18 months on, do they look like key components of a promotion-winning side? One needs to toughen up in every respect, the other is rarely fit enough to even take the field. 

Guest Copthorneowl
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Some folks won't be happy until we've created the Blackburn team of a few years ago

Yep first player we've had with real skill and a bit a magic in his feet since the Italian lads and the naysayers just can't lay off him.

If Dc has shown anything at all its that he will not bow to outside pressures and will do what's best for the club, hopefully that means he will stay, and that's where my money is.

34 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Last season he was. This year, we've squeezed half a dozen performances out of him. 

As for Joao and Matias...yes, potential. But, potential won't get us promoted. 18 months on, do they look like key components of a promotion-winning side? One needs to toughen up in every respect, the other is rarely fit enough to even take the field. 

Well maybe, but there's no sign of any of our recent additions doing that either. Even an out of sorts Forestieri is 10 times more effective than Reach. Even the perennially injured Matias has better Wednesday stats than our record buy

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Watched the extended highlights of the Brighton semi @ hillsborough last night...

the difference to this seasons home performances is astounding.

we now sit back,keep possession,very little urgency & hope to break the opposition down on the counter. Failing that HOOF!

last year we were always on the front foot,constant pressing & played high up the pitch.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Well maybe, but there's no sign of any of our recent additions doing that either. Even an out of sorts Forestieri is 10 times more effective than Reach. Even the perennially injured Matias has better Wednesday stats than our record buy

We all know what Forestieri can do, and I want him to stay. I'm not disputing his value to the team or quality - but I don't feel the same about Joao and Matias anymore. Joao has had time and opportunity. He shows only glimpses. I rate Matias' talent, but he's rarely fit - which renders him pretty useless. 

3 minutes ago, richowl said:

Watched the extended highlights of the Brighton semi @ hillsborough last night...

the difference to this seasons home performances is astounding.

we now sit back,keep possession,very little urgency & hope to break the opposition down on the counter. Failing that HOOF!

last year we were always on the front foot,constant pressing & played high up the pitch.

We were in that game. Many other home games were exactly like this year.