What the rest of the league are getting up too. (Transfer Update)

Looking at those lists, a few clubs have done some interesting business, but other than Newcastle's Gayle and Ritchie, there isn't a player who would improve our starting eleven. Hopefully that is why we haven't signed anyone, because those on the move don't have the necessary quality. Ditto some of those the press are linking us with, they are no better than what we have

Wolves takeover by foreign investors may be a success if they get a quick promotion but there is a chance it could go horribly wrong like at Leeds, Forest, Blackburn among others.

All these clubs are desperate for Premier League football but there are signs their foreign owners are fast losing patience and hope.

It has worked for some small clubs like Bournemouth and Watford......but there are only 20 places at the top table and won't be any more than that. The Premier League will make sure it is an "exclusive" club with even a reduction of teams possible to 18 to fall in line with Spain, Germany and Italy.

With only 18 teams in the PL, Arsene Wenger & Co can have their "mid-winter break".

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Wigan sign Nick Powell from Man Utd. 

Interesting one. Steve Bruce was crowing on about how Hull had missed out on him and he was off to Wolves. I guess Wolves aren't in any position to sign players until they've completed the takeover or it has collapsed. Also Powell knows Wigan from a loan spell before. Decent signing for them I can't see them having much of a problem next season, they'll be pushing for a top half finish I think. 

4 hours ago, Stoop said:

Good thread is this

Makes a change from the usual nonsense on here during the summer months

Agreed.  

Nice to see what all our competitors have been doing so far, and all in one thread.  :biggrin:

Newcastle are splashing it out a bit aren't they?

Its already shaping up to be a cracking season by the looks of it.  

If it goes through Wolves could get it right but definitely a big risk if they get a lot of expensive players with no championship know how.Newcastle showing how it's done , £22m on Ritchie and Gayle, could probably get equal or better quality abroad for that but they know they can hit the ground running.Whilst a wild rumour, if they did actually manage to get Talisca ahead of Liverpool for £20m+ plus a few others and it didn't work out it could ruin them forever.

I guess the thing with Newcastle is that they have so many saleable assets that it's as if they've used cheat codes or something. Add in the Benitez factor, a man who cann attract players away from Champions League clubs like Atletico Madrid and you surely have number 1 spot in the Championship sewn up. Burnley were good last season and deserved to be champions but f me Newcastle could blow the record points out of the water. 

5 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Agreed.  

Nice to see what all our competitors have been doing so far, and all in one thread.  :biggrin:

DO NOT hint at it being a potential rival megathread or it'll be gone by morning time. Don't mention the megathread. 

I wouldn't want to have to call the finishing table in this years championship. There are the relegated clubs, last years playoff teams and more than one or two who should improve. There are now a good few astute managers in the division too. Carlos, Benitez, Pearson and Powell at Derby, Di Matteo at Villa and this new French guy at the florists seems to know what he is doing. Same as last season I think we will see most teams able to beat anyone else on their day, and it will be harder to stay in the top ten places than it was to stay in the top six last season. A lot will of course depend on the calibre of players recruited between now and the end of the transfer window by all the teams, but taking into account that a better class of player is willing to either drop from the premiership or be recruited from abroad into the championship I can see some terrific matches coming up. The one thing that could really make the difference is the level of support given. I think we have the third or fourth highest capacity ground in the division and it is up to us to make that count, especially at Hillsborough again. It's great getting up and bouncing for the big games, but we have to do it every match from here on in. I think it is going to be one hell of an entertaining season toughly contended and if we do manage to gain promotion either by automatic or via the playoffs then we will have richly deserved it.

Bring it on.