Marco Matias

Never got what all the hype was with him. Apart from the Leeds goal in the games he played he was poor. Everyones entitled to their opinion

Not when the opinion is based on a couple of months of games where the player was carrying a knock, playing in a team gelling together & getting used to a new country/language etc.

He scored twice and came damn close to scoring 3 times. The width of a post and he'd have scored 5 before his injury...even whilst not playing to his usual standard set in his native country.

We're now a completely different team. A settled team...a good footballing team. Matias will be massive for us.

He should be a key player. Not sure that playing in a new team, even with a knock, can excuse missing 2 open goals though.

Hope we see him at his best now though.

I'm not using it as an excuse for him.

But players miss open goals all the time though. Messi does it. Ronaldo does too.

It's not a mark of a bad player. People read waaay too much into those misses. It happens.

He scored 17 goals in 33 games last season in the Portuguese top flight

A run of games in a team full of confidence, he'll be a different player from Aug/Sept

We are a completely different animal now

Ease him in during Feb without too much pressure then watch him destroy the playoffs come May

I find it amazing that he was playing in an unsettled, new and gelling team, had an injury at the start of the season, was in a new country, unable to speak to his teammates and still people will say he's garbage. If he plays as well as he did last season, he'll be our best player. Whether he does or not depends on many things, including the ability to adapt to a foreign language and different culture. Some players can do that, some can't. Hopefully he's the former, because if he's the latter then he won't ever have more than a bit-part here. But to dismiss him already when he hadn't adapted as well as all of the above is ludicrous. If by the end of the season he still doesn't play well, maybe we can say he's one of those that can't adapt and we should cut our losses... but to say he's naff at this stage is laughable. 

Hopefully the club will have given him some intensive language training over the time when he's been injured to help him get on the same path as everyone else along with getting to know Sheffield. He does have the qualities to pull something out of nothing like the goal against Leeds or the chances he created for himself at Brentford and against Ipswich when beating a man or too. CC obviously sees something in him (After being 4th highest scorer in Primeira league) so I'd trust his judgement. 

He should be a key player. Not sure that playing in a new team, even with a knock, can excuse missing 2 open goals though.

Hope we see him at his best now though.

Hooper missed a few but came good.  Matias has the ability to be our best player, his passing ability, reading of game, his individual skill is as good as anyone else in the squad .  DC has spoilt us with all these gems.  Can't understand why people aren't looking forward to his return.

I can take the odd misses and the fact we weren't gelling as a team back then. I do however expect to see 100 per cent effort we will see. Like I said,matter of opinion. Who is to say who is right

I don't think I'd be constantly Barry Bannaning around the pitch if I had a hernia. 

And yes. I have coined the phrase Barry Bannaning. If you are Barry Bannaning, you are sprinting constantly. Or you can shorten it. You can point at a player on telly over the weekend and, if he's constantly sprinting, you can say 'god...that guys Bannaning around the pitch'.

£10 royalties to be paid to me, from whoever uses it.

Edited by FlyingOwl

I don't think I'd be constantly Barry Bannaning around the pitch if I had a hernia. 

And yes. I have coined the phrase Barry Bannaning. If you are Barry Bannaning, you are sprinting constantly. Or you can shorten it. You can point at a player on telly over the weekend and, if he's constantly sprinting, you can say 'god...that guys Bannaning around the pitch'.

£10 royalties to be paid to me, from whoever uses it.

I'll pass cheers