RIP Ron Springett

Following the recent passing of Ron Springett, Sheffield Wednesday will dedicate Saturday’s home game against Fulham to the legendary former goalkeeper.

Ironically, Ron was born in Fulham and the Owls are grateful for the Cottagers’ co-operation ahead of when the two teams meet at Hillsborough. 

All the players of both sides will wear black armbands during the match, which will be immediately preceded by a minute’s silence. 

In addition, the flags adorning the stadium will remain at half-mast to remember the Owls’ highest capped England international in history. 

In a more permanent tribute, Saturday’s matchday programme will suitably mark the London product, who made 384 senior appearances for the club. 

The cover is a simple, fitting design and within the programme are pages dedicated to the man himself – including EXCLUSIVE interviews with Wednesday greats Don Megson and Howard Wilkinson. 

Outside the ground, meanwhile, supporters who wish to pay their tributes to Ron with flowers are welcome to do so in a memorial area directly adjacent to the South Stand bridge. 

The thoughts of everyone at Sheffield Wednesday stay with the family and friends of Ron at this extremely difficult time. 

RON SPRINGETT 1935-2015 RIP 
Read more at http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/owls-to-mark-passing-of-ron-springett-2691302.aspx#k7hVj3FQww4JmXcS.99

Edited by joelswfc

My missus says I don't have a heart, I have a swinging brick, but having watched Ron Springett play for us from when he signed until when he left, and having read what the club are doing on Saturday, and indeed what Fulham and Bolton have agreed to do in memory of my all time hero, I must admit I have a tear in my eye, and a lump in my throat. It's an amazing tribute to an amazing man.

I was wondering if a montage could be made and screened at the next home game.

I'm suspecting that very little footage exist showing Ron making those flying saves.

Some England stuff on YouTube.

Edited by M Royds

Looking at that picture of him he looks like a midget! When I saw him play in early 67 he looked like a giant! Mind you I was 7 years old at the time!

Glad to see a proper tribute being done by the club, the very least he deserves.

Really would like to see a long term tribute to all of our greats on the concourse outside the South Stand, an "Avenue of Legends" or something similar with statues of all the greats.

Edited by Utah Owl

My missus says I don't have a heart, I have a swinging brick, but having watched Ron Springett play for us from when he signed until when he left, and having read what the club are doing on Saturday, and indeed what Fulham and Bolton have agreed to do in memory of my all time hero, I must admit I have a tear in my eye, and a lump in my throat. It's an amazing tribute to an amazing man.

You're not alone mate

I may have missed this but what are the club, Fulham and Bolton doing?

Following the recent passing of Ron Springett, Sheffield Wednesday will dedicate Saturday’s home game against Fulham to the legendary former goalkeeper.

Ironically, Ron was born in Fulham and the Owls are grateful for the Cottagers’ co-operation ahead of when the two teams meet at Hillsborough. 

All the players of both sides will wear black armbands during the match, which will be immediately preceded by a minute’s silence. 

In addition, the flags adorning the stadium will remain at half-mast to remember the Owls’ highest capped England international in history. 

In a more permanent tribute, Saturday’s matchday programme will suitably mark the London product, who made 384 senior appearances for the club. 

The cover is a simple, fitting design and within the programme are pages dedicated to the man himself – including EXCLUSIVE interviews with Wednesday greats Don Megson and Howard Wilkinson. 

Outside the ground, meanwhile, supporters who wish to pay their tributes to Ron with flowers are welcome to do so in a memorial area directly adjacent to the South Stand bridge. 

The thoughts of everyone at Sheffield Wednesday stay with the family and friends of Ron at this extremely difficult time. 

RON SPRINGETT 1935-2015 RIP 

On top of that Bolton are flying their flags on top of the stadium at half mast.