RIP Ron Springett

My childhood hero and one of the greatest players ever to pull on a Wednesday shirt.

I have said it on here before but it is perhaps worth mentioning again:

FA Cup Final 66:  Having been in front 2-0, Wednesday go behind 3-2 after Gerry Young allows a fairly innocuous through ball to simply slip under his foot and travel through to the Everton player to score their third and decisive goal.  There were no modern day histrionics from Ron Springett; no berating his defense for not doing their job.  He simply left the ball nestled in the net and immediately went over to Young, who was lying desperate on the grass at his error.  Ron bent down and consoled him - his team mate was his first thought and nothing else.  It was this moment that lived with me beyond the agony of watching that defeat and is a sporting gesture of such strength that it has remained vividly clear in my mind ever since.

So pleased he was awarded his World Cup winners medal.

Truly sad news indeed.

Ron was without any doubt whatsoever in my mind, the best keeper we've ever had and up there with the best this country has produced. Mr. dependable, a consumate professional and a true gentleman.......the term "legend" is used too freely, but doesn't even begin to do justice to Ron.

A sad, sad day for me, but Mr. Springett, you will live on in my memories till my dying day.

R.I.P. Ron and thoughts are with your family at this truly awful time.

My childhood hero and one of the greatest players ever to pull on a Wednesday shirt.

I have said it on here before but it is perhaps worth mentioning again:

FA Cup Final 66:  Having been in front 2-0, Wednesday go behind 3-2 after Gerry Young allows a fairly innocuous through ball to simply slip under his foot and travel through to the Everton player to score their third and decisive goal.  There were no modern day histrionics from Ron Springett; no berating his defense for not doing their job.  He simply left the ball nestled in the net and immediately went over to Young, who was lying desperate on the grass at his error.  Ron bent down and consoled him - his team mate was his first thought and nothing else.  It was this moment that lived with me beyond the agony of watching that defeat and is a sporting gesture of such strength that it has remained vividly clear in my mind ever since.

So pleased he was awarded his World Cup winners medal.

There you go Sir

4173614210_6c63f89988_b_zpsfo261ml8.jpg