RIP Ron Springett

Not too much on the British news feeds but the foreign feeds giving coverage.

http://www.ojogo.pt/Internacional/interior.aspx?content_id=4776229

http://m.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Deces-de-ron-springett-gardien-anglais-champion-du-monde-en-1966/590164?xtref=https://www.google.co.uk/&

Great photos from those feeds.

79fdd.jpg

ng4669544.jpg?type=big

Good looking lad with a film star profile.

Edited by M Royds

Ironic that our next home game is against Fulham. On September 6th 1967 our centenary match was a 1st division game against Fulham. It was a Wednesday night and we won 4-2. Before the game a huge box of blue and white balloons was in the centre circle and it was Ron who came out on to the pitch to release them.

Along with Don Megson and John Ritchie, Ron was my first Hillsborough hero. RIP Ron WAWAW

More ironic than you think.

Ron was from Fulham and supported them as a kid.   Ron was my first Owls hero as well.  I started watching them in 1958, just after he'd joined us.

My ...... what terribly sad news.

Thank goodness he did eventually get his World Cup winning medal .... at last from Gordon Brown at 10 Downing St.

Ron was not only the best goal keeper we have had to my knowledge ....  been going to Hillsborough since 1960,

he was the best Owls player I have ever seen .... with his bare hands and just the occasional

use of a flat cap when the sun was in his eyes.  Most of the time the sun was behind him on the Leppings Lane end,

whilst we were kicking into the Kop in the second half.

He used to catch the ball ... not padding it away like nowadays.

I can hear him now on the Town Hall balcony .. just after the 66 FA cup final ...

when they handed him the mike, he gently spoke in his east London accent,

looking down over the balcony to the massed gathering,

" you all look so lovely, I could come down and kiss you all ...

and next year when we win the cup, I will!"

Totally emotionally memorable!!! 

His only indiscretion was to wear something red under his green jersey ... you could see it at the collar.

I always wanted to meet him and would have asked him about that.

But what a class act ... he even looked dignified picking the ball out of the net when Derek Temple's goal

won the cup for Everton.

I just hope he realised that every Wednesdayite who had the pleasure to see him all thought the world

of that good looking London dude, who trained remotely at Loftus Road, getting the train up for home games.

Filling up now ....

RIP Ron

Probably the best goalkeeper ever. As good as Banks arguably better.

Gutted for him when by Gordon Banks got the nod for the '66 England team ahead of our Ron.

Ron was a class act and a real Wednesday hero.

I will be very dismayed if the club don't something really special as a deserved tribute to this great man.

Sad, sad news. 

I like so many others have only ever been told of his greatness, he was my dad's first hero in the 50's/60's. Fantastic servant for the football club and of course for England. Rest in Peace Ron. I hope the club can do something a little different to the normal sort of tribute for him on Saturday. He would deserve it.