A bunch of no-bodies ....

Lees and Westwood staying are as good as two new signings and Wallace and McGugan are proven quality in this division. We've also added some exciting quality and flair from the continent too which I think is very exciting. The prices for English 'talent' are not value for money and whilst it's a gamble I think it will pay off.

I keep reading that prem teams are after or buying lots of individuals for 7m n 9m etc etc and I've never heard of them either. Coming from teams that aren't to well known either.

Sure if a perm team fancied Lucas / Matias they would pay more for them.

Gi em a chance.

I've got a feeling we'll have a bad start, bad Christmas period, lose every Yorkshire derby and generally be a team that doesn't like it up us.

However, I think we will eventually get our act together, play some lovely stuff, maybe a cup run and finish with a flourish (just outside the play-off spots)

I agree.

La Liga regular.

#26 in European Golden Shoe

One of our best attacking players last season

Proven Championship right-back and very highly rated by Championship managers

Bunch of nobodies.

As this is more accurate, is the OP a troll post?

Seriously confused about some of the replies on here and on other threads. The fact is, we've still got the same core of solid hardworking players from last season but with a couple of quality signings from europe to push us one step closer to the prem. 

Edited by Brianmcgee

Four players from English League football:

Westwood, Lees, Roger Johnson and McGugan.

Combined fee according to reports 300K

OK, we currently have three of the players in that list but it kinda dispels the myth that proven quality Championship players cannot be picked up for reasonable fees.

If these four exist, there could well be more.

I for one would be very very cross if we sold those players for a combined £300k lol

Yes there are a handful of decent Bosmans available every year, and we were very lucky to get Westwood on one and Lees for a small fee last year, but the majority of Championship clubs need to be looking either in the lower leagues or the foreign market for value. Prices for good players are getting beyond the reach of most clubs - most people on here would have been happy if we'd bought Gestede and a reasonable price may have been up to about £2m, but he's gone for 6. Likewise Rhodes may have been an option for about £6m but Blackburn have reportedly turned down 12m. The market for homegrown players has gone mad - Ipswich rejecting £5m for a 32 year old one season wonder striker and selling a Championship fullback for £8m, and Hull have this week sold two average players (by Prem standards) for a combined £15m. How are we supposed to compete with that?

I'm beginning to understand why no one wanted to touch us with a barge pole for so long, we have some right loonies amongst us.

Let the people employed to do their jobs do it ffs, save your powder for when it's warranted, we have a new everything, let's just take our seats and observe.

Nobs like the op will whinge about anything and everything, don't give them the oxygen.

Not really, my main concern is the ticket prices, yes I know its been done to death but i'm way more worried about that, the pricing out of some fans, dividing of the fanbase etc and us struggling to hit 20k being detrimental, than I am about the signings as I know little about them, give them a chance, as far as I can see that is the only thing we have definitely got wrong 

The prices are a legitimate concern, the signings are not, they might turn out to be but just get behind them 

Not really, my main concern is the ticket prices, yes I know its been done to death but i'm way more worried about that, the pricing out of some fans, dividing of the fanbase etc and us struggling to hit 20k being detrimental, than I am about the signings as I know little about them, give them a chance, as far as I can see that is the only thing we have definitely got wrong

The prices are a legitimate concern, the signings are not, they might turn out to be but just get behind them

Agreed.

I'm far more concerned that I have been priced out of my own club than who we have signed.

It's like someone has come along and stole my son or daughter and is sending me pictures of the expensive clothes they can now wear.

How wonderful.

Think people are trying to say that they thought we'd be going for more championship players from rival teams ,instead of bringing 5 or 6 foreign lads in to add to likes of melo and bus who we dont really know the quality of yet.

Other words we've gambled a bit.

Bit pessimistic maybe but they have a point.

Friendly results haven't been great and some could say it says something about the character of certain players.

We can only wait and see

We're signing players from here , there and everywhere . Is anybody else concerned that if it goes belly up by November . Coach out , Players disillusioned and us in the brown stuff . We could be having a nightmare ....

Yep

Could just as easily all click and have us in the top 6 by November as well though

you both could be equally correct...

football's that hard to call, otherwise folks would have won on the footy pools every few weeks...

give it a month and a half, we'll have a pretty good idea of how good our side is by then...

kernow, you took a shellacking for your post, not because it's not a realistic chance of being true...

but because the 'clappers' would rather back hmsptl, as ever...

time will tell who is correct, or at least the nearest to being so...

So no suggestions of any names that would be better than what we've got for the same money?

If it works it's luck?

What a thread. And people say this place has gone to the dogs. Shame on them for suggesting it, quality debate like this is the pinnacle of forum chat.

the cut and thrust of debate...  :biggrin:  :wacko:  :sad:  :ph34r:  :blush:

Guest owl from retford

Think we will proberly get off to a slow start until the forgein lads adjust to the pace of the game could be world beaters when they get upto speed though time will tell

Lees and Westwood staying are as good as two new signings and Wallace and McGugan are proven quality in this division. We've also added some exciting quality and flair from the continent too which I think is very exciting. The prices for English 'talent' are not value for money and whilst it's a gamble I think it will pay off.

i would imagine a few of us have thought 'IF' i won a 'euromillions multi rollover' i'd have bought the club...

i did wonder how much 'the ball n' chain' would let me spend on 'the wednesday' before suggesting i was pithing it all up the wall, and thus limit the number of attempts at getting up...

i never for one moment (even) began to realise that the fans would be willing to dip into their own pockets as deep as they have to fund the cause...

I would like to know how long Kernow has lived in Cornwall, since he sounds just like the typical Wednesdayite. Not happy unless he's grumbling. I wonder how many Championship players he's actually seen, and I don't mean on the tele or in one of the football computer games.

We don't know what these players CC has signed, but his reputation does not suggest that he is interested in Rubbish, and one would only assume that he knows something about these players. His reputation is as much on the line as ours. If things go boobies up, we can save some money by not attending. He will have to find further employment, so I would suggest that we for once put faith in our Manager. If it goes wrong - so be it. We can always stay home. If it goes Chansiri's way WE get the benefit, the Kudos whatever.

I'm beginning to understand why no one wanted to touch us with a barge pole for so long, we have some right loonies amongst us.

Let the people employed to do their jobs do it ffs, save your powder for when it's warranted, we have a new everything, let's just take our seats and observe.

Nobs like the op will whinge about anything and everything, don't give them the oxygen.

football fans, are football fans, we're no different to others...

larger numbers (in general) for a club with our recent track record, and the 'track record' is what gives the club that great expectation that weighs so heavily on our teams...

it wasn't the expectation, it wasn't the disaster, it was no wednesday fan was a mr. big enough to do it alone, and thus...

had not a businessman with an eye for a good opportunity come along, where would we be now...

along the lines of bradford park avenue, and third lanark?, or dragging along at the bottom of the football league?

I would like to know how long Kernow has lived in Cornwall, since he sounds just like the typical Wednesdayite. Not happy unless he's grumbling. I wonder how many Championship players he's actually seen, and I don't mean on the tele or in one of the football computer games.

We don't know what these players CC has signed, but his reputation does not suggest that he is interested in Rubbish, and one would only assume that he knows something about these players. His reputation is as much on the line as ours. If things go **** up, we can save some money by not attending. He will have to find further employment, so I would suggest that we for once put faith in our Manager. If it goes wrong - so be it. We can always stay home. If it goes Chansiri's way WE get the benefit, the Kudos whatever.

what reputation?

let's not kid ourselves, IF this guys a new mourinho he's hidden it well, he's had the sack more than frank spencer...

Guest Gazzaowl

I'm happy with the dealings we have made, nobody knows how it will pan out but we have finally started signing players that cost money!!

We are no longer signing players no one wants!!

My only negative is I'd like a proven goal scorer in this league to sign.....there is still time for this.

(Alf, Jones or hooper for me)

Apart from this I'm looking forward to the season and hoping for a great campaign.

Don't see the point in moaning and worrying before a balls been kicked!

Some fans will never be satisfied and no doubt will be booing them after the first bad display which will help the team no end!!!!