Rudolf Austin refused permit

Guest firebird1

Greg Dyke hopes changes to work permit regulations will provide more opportunities for talented home grown players to get game time at the top level.

During an update on the England Commission, The FA Chairman said the Home Office has agreed to a “fundamental reform” to the existing work permit regulations, to ensure only the most talented non-EU players meet new criteria.

The new requirements state that non-EEA (European Economic Area) players will have to meet a minimum percentage of international matches played for their country over the previous 24 month period, as determined by that country’s FIFA world ranking.

Dyke said: “I am pleased to say that on Friday we finally received approval from the Home Office for fundamental reform of the non-EU work visa processes which will come into effect for next season.”

More on the link above

I wasn't aware of this and if Austin is the first victim of this new ruling, it seems very harsh,

I'd be massively surprised if he didn't win an appeal - They might have tightened up, but there looks to be a lot of strong factors in his favour, and he has a child born in the UK who has now been brought up here for 3 years.

The articles seems to suggest they have looked at the rules and shrugged their shoulders - But you have to play the Immigration System right.

Guest Distraught!

So a bizarre situation arises whereby a footballer can change occupation and then go through the formalities required to get a work permit or citizenship but they are effectively being prevented from obtaining work permits in their preferred occupation.

Dumbass situation.

Don't know what FIFA ranking Jamaica are but he's obviously not played enough for them over past two years - tough rules, means you now can't sign non-EU players unless they are pretty much first choice internationals (or under 21)

New Work Permit System

Required % of international matches over previous 24 months is determined by the player’s National Association’s official FIFA ranking:

FIFA 1-10: 30% and above

FIFA 11-20: 45% and above

FIFA 21-30: 60% and above

FIFA 31-50: 75% and above

There you go, Jamaica are ranked 76.

That means it's physically impossible to sign Austin. 

Brilliant thinking by the FA there, brilliant.

Unfortunately Lee Rigby & the 7/7 victims didn't. FACT.

Rigby's killers and three of the four 7/7 attackers were born in Britain. So what on earth do they have to do with a thread about work permits?

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Reading that FA article sounds to me like the top premier team who can pay for and attract the top non-eu stars aren't going to be affected but lower teams who have to lower their sights for not as prominent players will be affected? Surely if you want to encourage home grown players the rule on non-eu players needs to be not about ability but some level playing field? Otherwise it's another example of the premier league have's not being "punished" and the lower league have not's being punished?

Murderers are murderers, and quite why anybody would want to divide that group into any other subdivisions is beyond me. This also applies to other undesirable elements of society, such as Leeds United footballers.

Do you know what  "engaging brain before posting flippant comments" means ?

Yes. I don't feel threatened when leaving my house in any way, shape or form. Stop scaremongering. I'm perfectly capable of working out the level of threat without your hyperbolic drivel.

Rigby's killers and three of the four 7/7 attackers were born in Britain. So what on earth do they have to do with a thread about work permits?

You're fighting a losing battle mate. They look different to us and the papers have told us to hate anything that is slightly different to ourselves. All 1.6 billion muslims must all be terrorists and killers.

Owlstalk isn't the place for this discussion so I'll not be replying on this thread again but as a fellow wednesdayite I would please ask all of you who think we're being invaded, threatened and taken over by johnny foreigner to please try to take a look around the world with an open mind and open eyes, don't believe everything you read/hear. We're here once, living your life fearing and hating others is just not worth it.

As above. If Jamaica is part of the Commonwealth, isn't his passport as equal to one of ours? Granted by HM gov etc. In which case, he can live here & do his job? It says he can work 'in any position' in the immigration blah. Is he any good up front?!

Jamaican passports are issued by the Jamaican Govt. Not the British Govt.

Commonwealth citizens born after 1983 no longer have automatic right of abode in the UK.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Murderers are murderers, and quite why anybody would want to divide that group into any other subdivisions is beyond me. This also applies to other undesirable elements of society, such as Leeds United footballers.

Yes. I don't feel threatened when leaving my house in any way, shape or form. Stop scaremongering. I'm perfectly capable of working out the level of threat without your hyperbolic drivel.

Little wonder there has been 18 attempts today alone & it's not even dinnertime.