Just cos you've not heard of them doesn't mean they're unknown!

How many people on the Dutch First Division will have heard of Jeremy Helan?

But it's a moot point. It's more about players fitting into our set up. Hungry players, that understand the clubs goals and sensibilities. Not panic, cheap ass signings like Jeffers and Morrisson.

Personally, I'd much rather be where we are now, after all the poo we've been through.

The problem is most people on Owlstalk have only ever heard of players who've featured on Match of the Day or who have played for one of the five other clubs covered by Radio Sheffield. So almost anyone will be unkown to them, even if they're good.

This is why when most people post on here about a player they'd like to sign its someone we used to have on loan, or used to play for one of our nearby rivals. Hardly a wide field to chose from.

We all know that English players have a premium anyway - look how cheap Newcastle got the likes of Cabaye and Cisse for and think how much more they'd have been if English. Looking abroad for bargains is not a bad policy IMHO.

Guest Fedor

12 goals in his last 60 Championship games. About the same as Nuhiu. What were you saying about proven Championship quality.

Played 26 times for a team that got promoted from the Championship.

Your turn.

Edited by Fedor

But it's a moot point. It's more about players fitting into our set up. Hungry players, that understand the clubs goals and sensibilities. Not panic, cheap ass signings like Jeffers and Morrisson.

Personally, I'd much rather be where we are now, after all the poo we've been through.

To be fair there's some decent players in Hungry

Doesn't that say more about his team than him??

Wood hasn't pulled up trees - he does have solid attributes, has had one good season and is a good age. Does that make him worth 2.5m and 15-20k a week?? I'd say no but I don't want to end up like Blackburn or Forest. Tried, failed and now fooooked.

As for the two proven championship players that are less risky.... Didn't both of these get exiled by their respective teams. Let's say that was 20% possibly down to them, their character etc... That's risky as these are big investments.

Whilst I agree with the sentiments of your post, Jeffers certainly wasn't a cheap signing - we spent about £700,000 to bring him in, and I doubt his wage packet was small, either.

It just makes it all the more galling, doesn't it!?

it's the luck of the draw or the lap of the gods , if you don't try these players you will never know either way they may be surpluss at their respective clubs but could be a gem here or vice versa , it is a risky business ,but that's football if everyone chose the tried and tested the game would be boring

I will reserve judgement on these players until ive seen them play , afterall who had ever heard of Roland Nilsson before he signed for us ,and look what a wednesday legend he became. 

Guest Mickey Matn

People keep referring to these linked players as unknowns, and that's a bad thing. Just cos you've not heard of them does not mean they're unknowns, for all you know they could be very well know in Europe, and anyway, that doesn't mean they're bad players! Open my mind to something new

no one has heard anything yet, known or unknown.

The problem is most people on Owlstalk have only ever heard of players who've featured on Match of the Day or who have played for one of the five other clubs covered by Radio Sheffield. So almost anyone will be unkown to them, even if they're good.

This is why when most people post on here about a player they'd like to sign its someone we used to have on loan, or used to play for one of our nearby rivals. Hardly a wide field to chose from.

We all know that English players have a premium anyway - look how cheap Newcastle got the likes of Cabaye and Cisse for and think how much more they'd have been if English. Looking abroad for bargains is not a bad policy IMHO.

It's not a bad policy but again using Newcastle as an example they were restricted to the cheaper foreign market and they have struggled. Had they got the balance of cheaper bargains with targeted spending on one or two players doing the business in England then I think they'd have a prefect transfer policy

We're steeped in the tradition that the Premiership is the 'best league in Europe'. This crap is rammed down our throats daily by the crop of ex-players who are used regularly on British Television. But yet  what happens when we play them in competitions? Our Premiership quartet regularly comprises Chelsea, Manure and City, and Arsenal, with, i the past, flurries from L'Pool. But yet , despite playing the 'poor' continental sides, we continue to get beaten. And look where our top club managers are from. With the exception of Fergie, who incidentally was Scottish, very fewf the top  English clubs with English Managers have set the continent alight.The same applies to our National side.

Havng watched a fair amount of Premiership soccer as well as Championship, there does not appear to be a great difference between the top Championship sides and the lower lights of the Premiership. I would venture to suggest that very few of us have seen much of the Continental Leagues, and so should not be comparing heir players infavourably against our own, many of who are run-of-the-mill journeymen players. I am sure that given a short time to break in, many of the top league players can kick-it in our Championship. It seems obvious that a lot of our scouting staffs from many clubs are impressed. Don't forget that Chelsea and Arsenal have frequently played without an English player in their team, so they can't all be rubbish.Watching the You Tube video of Cassis or whatever his name is, I get the impression that some of his football may be too sophisticated for Wednesday. Give them a chance, and then if, after 6 months or so, then we can make up our minds.

Regarding the prices paid,don't forget that not all clubs either on the continent or here, have the rescources of Abramovichn& Co. 

I will reserve judgement on these players until ive seen them play , afterall who had ever heard of Roland Nilsson before he signed for us ,and look what a wednesday legend he became. 

Whooah there. Back up. We'll have non of that talk here.

Agreed. Brilliant thread title. Apart from it being the very definition of unknown. I even questioned meself about whether it was or not. :ghoulguy:

Well no cos unknown implies no ones heard of them. Just cos you personally haven't heard of them does not make them unknown

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.". Donald Rumsfeld.

So let's be very specific, which is the OP referring to. The players aren't known knowns because we don't know them. Are they known unknowns? Maybe, but if they are known on the continent they cant be unknowns and if we don't know we don't know them they can't be known unknowns. That must mean they are unknown unknowns to us but as people on the continent knows them they can't be unknown unknowns to them .

Confused? so am I. Who started this thread anyway? There should be a law against it.

I've got a headache now.

What would we have had to pay for some known players that some on here would be more comfortable with?

McGugan  1 to 1.5 million?

Ben 10 750k to 1 million?

Rhodes a few months ago it was reported they would take 8 million just to get him off their wage bill

so in 3 players we have possibly spent up to 10.5 million and that's just for starters