On this day 2000 - Relagation - 15 years outside the Top Flight

But according to this wacky commentator Wednesday showed a lot of Spunk and could look forward to played Sheffield United in the 1st Division the next season.

The day also markes the longest period we have been outside the top Division :-( and we won't be played Sheffield United next year. :-)

_742563_shreeves150_zpsntagefui.jpg _742563_arse150_zpsbmjh7fht.jpg

I remember roaring about us getting relegated , I was only 8 to be fair but I remember coming home from the home game the week after and my dad explaining we wouldn't be playing Man.U or Arsenal anymore , but then saying it'll only be for a couple of years though

lol

I'm now 22 and we've been dogger ever since.

Guest timrud

Hopefully the 15+ years of pain will be worth it when/if we get back. We should be much better behind the scenes.

I live in hope

Guest mkowl

I have known the missus 15 and a bit. Looks like i will have to get a divorce to break the curse

How depressing...15 years is half my life to this point.

When I was a kid, I just assumed that Wednesday were, always had been, and always would be, one of the biggest clubs going. We finished 3rd in my first season going to matches with my dad, and then came the cup finals, European football and frequent top half finishes. We had Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Sheridan, Palmer, Pressman, Nilsson, Worthington, Walker, Pearson... - we were a great team to watch and we had players that the other 'big clubs' wanted, too.

When we got relegated from the Premier League, I naively believed we'd bounce straight back and would soon return to the top table. If you'd told me at 15 years old that we'd spend 15 years and counting outside the Premier League, including 4 seasons in the third division, I'd have laughed in your face and assumed you were a United fan.

It's been a long, hard slog being a Wednesday fan since 2000. Not once have we looked even remotely likely to challenge for top flight football again and in fact the club's very existence was in the balance at one point, which seemed simply unthinkable even on that dark day 15 years ago.

The level of support we still enjoy is simply outstanding when placed in that context and thankfully it looks like we might finally be close to regaining the football club the fans deserve. For the first time since this day 15 years ago, we have genuine reasons to be optimistic about our chances of Premier League football in the near future.

When I think back to how exciting it was to watch Wednesday taking on the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool etc... as a kid, and the fact that an entire generation of Owls fans have grown up without knowing what their club can truly be, it can't come soon enough.