Hillsborough redevelopment

Wouldn't that a just be a complete waste of time and money - what would that achieve?

Yeah, why bother doing anything?

Let see, For starters...

Bring it into the 21st century

Make the viewing experience better

Retain the character

Make the club/ stadium more attractive to local investors

Help regenerate the area.

Improved environment encourages fans to come back, players to sign etc

What would you suggest?

Boring Concrete bowl with no characteristics at all, increasing attendance capacity which we would never fill...etc etc. all of which would cost a fortune ..

Do let us know

Guest Deleted member

post-38813-0-32596400-1430815297_thumb.j

Just done a quick sketch with a compass and ruler. I've allowed for Hillsborough's current footprint (the land it sits on), and for existing building lines not to be exceeded.

I've allowed for the South Stand to remain pretty much as is.

I;'ve drawn a perfect circle for the exterior of the stadium, and this lines up with the roof of the North Stand, accommodates all corners, and allows for identical stands at the Kop and West Stand areas. The corners join the South Stand, although allowances will need to be made for the towers that support the South Stand roof.

The entire roof structure would be cantilever ensuring no posts in view.

I do think the stadium should be entirely glass, and that all exterior walls, fencing, turnstiles etc should be removed, with large pedestrian areas created. The glass structure should have minimum 2, possibly 3 fan areas where bars and food outlets (and merchandise) are located.

You will see that the Kop and West Stand have extensions (rectangular) protruding from the rear. These are second tiers, to be added if necessary.  Its really important that we utilise the space BENEATH the stands, more often than we utilise the seats above it.

The entire stadium sits within the current boundary, if we did develop this then I'd like the club to purchase all of the land the current Wednesdayite car park sits on, and create matchday parking, new megastore and pub/restaurant over there, possibly with a bridge over the Penistone Rd for fans to get to the ground.

Its not perfect but its a 10 minute sketch. I'm sure theres some talented Wednesdayites could put something together...

Guest Deleted member

By the way, IF we did that, theres no reason why we couldnt make better use of the facilities in the South Stand, move the clubs offices etc (to over the road), and put even more restaurants in

It was too bitty.

Would be much better to take west stand and kop to the floor and start again, take the north stand backwards (as was planned) and build completely new.

You could then create a perfect oval, maybe completely out of glass, utilising the glass (like at Wembley) to display huge footage of Wednesday legends.

Think big.

Those stadium plans were big, but not ambitious enough

..this...get a decent architect/design team in and do it properly so those that come after follow us and not the other way around...

Sorry I'm late. Puts hand up.

Guest Deleted member

attachicon.gifhillsboroughplan.jpg

Just done a quick sketch with a compass and ruler. I've allowed for Hillsborough's current footprint (the land it sits on), and for existing building lines not to be exceeded.

I;'ve drawn a perfect circle for the exterior of the stadium, and this lines up with the roof of the North Stand, accommodates all corners, and allows for identical stands at the Kop and West Stand areas. The corners join the South Stand, although allowances will need to be made for the towers that support the South Stand roof.

I do think the stadium should be entirely glass, and that all exterior walls, fencing, turnstiles etc should be removed, with large pedestrian areas created. The glass structure should have minimum 2, possibly 3 fan areas where bars and food outlets (and merchandise) are located.

You will see that the Kop and West Stand have extensions (rectangular) protruding from the rear. These are second tiers, to be added if necessary.  Its really important that we utilise the space BENEATH the stands, more often than we utilise the seats above it.

The entire stadium sits within the current boundary, if we did develop this then I'd like the club to purchase all of the land the current Wednesdayite car park sits on, and create matchday parking, new megastore and pub/restaurant over there, possibly with a bridge over the Penistone Rd for fans to get to the ground.

Its not perfect but its a 10 minute sketch. I'm sure theres some talented Wednesdayites could put something together...

Sorry I'm late. Puts hand up.

Crack on.

The future of our great club depends on you

You will see that the Kop and West Stand have extensions (rectangular) protruding from the rear. These are second tiers, to be added if necessary. Its really important that we utilise the space BENEATH the stands, more often than we utilise the seats above it.

10 minutes my arse :) Edited by agentwalker

Guest Deleted member

10 minutes my are :)

I'm very efficient, and Tech Drawing was my fave subject at school

Across the road add a bus interchange, Make the "bridge" into a large pedestrian plaza (trees n poo poo, sorry that's an architectural term) that spans the road and drops you into the ground on the concourse level. Would be good to achieve something similar at the Lep end as well. My memory of the topography isn't the best but pretty sure the land rises up at that end of the ground. Need at least two entrances of that type. 

Guest Deleted member

Ooooh a bus interchange, like a park and ride that can be used during the week?

Crack on.

The future of our great club depends on you

I'm based in Australia (not really a handicap in modern world, but would probably need to relocate to UK) and would need to expand rapidly to achieve capacity to deliver. Alternatively could partner with others, I do have a contact in Populous and this sort of thing is their specialty. Would love the opportunity to be involved on a Hillsborough redevelopment.

Ooooh a bus interchange, like a park and ride that can be used during the week?

Yup. And markets on weekends.

Guest Deleted member

Errrrm, I wasnt awarding a contract just asking for some ideas to be drawn better than mine (which admittedly wouldn't be difficult lol )

We can all spend someone else's money, but there are several important factors to take into account:-

1. How much is he owner prepared to spend

2. What are the priorities

3. What is the time factor available.

I have to agree that from the outside, the West Stand looks old and delapidated, and it could certainly do with some renewal, but if money is going to be spent on it, what are the chances of re-couping that outlay?

As it stands at present, the West is seldom full, or anywhere approaching, so what good would it do to Wednesday fans spending much more than cosmetic surgery.

I would venture to suggest that the two most important priorities, and the ones with a reasonable chance of getting the Owner's money back, are a) to improve the concourse behind the North and b) to redevelop the Kop, with two aims in mind - one to provide a better concourse behind the exsisting Kop, and remove the pillars there currently.

As for a), wasn't there some problem from local residents with a view to extending the stand backwards towards Vere Road?

As for b) might the idea to re design the Kop by lowering the 'hump' thus allowing the rear to be improved not be investigated.

wheres the entrance to the underwater carpark?

Bloody Amateurs gary megson

cant see any major changes to the stadium until we've been in the Premiership for at least two seasons

Would we start knocking stands down and reducing capacity during the only period when we are likely to come close to filling the stadium with our mythical, 40,000 every home match, Premiership crowds?

Errrrm, I wasnt awarding a contract just asking for some ideas to be drawn better than mine (which admittedly wouldn't be difficult lol )

ya wot!

But I've already started. Signed up 20 new staff in the last 30mins. Now I spose you're going to tell me I have to cut them lose.

:blink:

:mad:

;-)

Would we start knocking stands down and reducing capacity during the only period when we are likely to come close to filling the stadium with our mythical, 40,000 every home match, Premiership crowds?

Exactly what I was thinking. If we're going to knock down/ close a stand for renovation now is the time to do it, not when we are in the premier league with MASSIVE crowds