I wouldn't hesitate giving him a new deal, he's been a big contributor this season along with Lees and Westwood.

It's an easy decision...

Semedo, Lee and Loovens. Chop the rest.

I'm more worried about how we're going to ship out the 3 puddings we've signed up to long term deals.

May, Helan and Vermilj.

Very poor.

Realistically if we are planning to build a promotion / play off spot team how many of the starting line up would be good enough, on today's showing. Westwood and Lees ?? Then maybe Lavery and Maguire as squad players.

In a sick sort of way today's abject performance could shape a lot of the summer action - on the player AND management front.

I seem to recall a similar discussion to this when we achieved promotion from League 1. "Semedo cant cut it in the Championship" was the theme and he has, at times, been our best player over the last 2 years. For that reason I hope he gets another contract. After our promotion a lot on here blamed Demo Dave for ripping the heart out of the promotion team claiming it was too many new faces. Now it seems that its ok to do that for next year. 10 or 12 new players won't make a team of winners you need some to build the team you want slowly to allow the newcomers to gel. 4 or 5 new faces this summer with a couple more in January if we are looking good for a play off place and then the same next summer will do the trick. We've been bobbar for 15 or more years so surely a bit of patience should be offered to DC.

I love Semedo. He gives 100% every match. The issue I have is that he is a one trick pony. He can tackle and lay the ball off to people that is it. If we are going to improve next season I see him on the bench coming on late in a game to protect a result. We need players that can tackle and pass and get forward (like McGugan.) Today is a shining example of why we need two better quality central midfielder.

Guest Denise Kenyon

I agree re Semedo sadly,but saying that nobody played well today not even Westwood , I was so bored at the game why we insisted on keep launching the ball i'll never know the Leeds players were taller we were never going to win an areal battle but still we persisted, westwood launching it to Lavery everytime didn't work and the rest just as bad

People want semedo to go? Insane. Did no one see westwoods comment about us missing semedo when he was Injured? Our player of the season rates him, and realises he does a good job! We need him. We just need someone to play next to him.

To gain promotion we obviously need quality and lots of it, but we also need players like semedo. Someone who will help frustrate teams, the fact is unless we spend tens of millions we won't blow every team away, sometimes we'll have to win "ugly" hang on to a 1-0 lead for 60 minutes, play crap but pick up points etc. semedo could more than play his part in helping us get top 6 next season, not as 1st choice but he's an asset in certain games that require a certain player

Think we need players like Semedo to stay in this division

To climb out of it, we need better footballers

Keep him, use him to see a game out when we're winning, let him play his role when it's needed, but to win promotion, it's not needed every week

Guest RoyalNavyOwl

To gain promotion we obviously need quality and lots of it, but we also need players like semedo. Someone who will help frustrate teams, the fact is unless we spend tens of millions we won't blow every team away, sometimes we'll have to win "ugly" hang on to a 1-0 lead for 60 minutes, play crap but pick up points etc. semedo could more than play his part in helping us get top 6 next season, not as 1st choice but he's an asset in certain games that require a certain player

This exactly. Great post.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I would keep Semedo.  We already need 2 strikers, 3 wingers, McGUGAN, a left back and a centre half.  Why mess with the one position we are sorted in?  Melo, Semi and Hutch can all fight for the defensive midfield position.  Good options, especially as Lee can play there too.

He's coming back from injury and has had a very good season. Deserves a new deal.

this...

he aint played for what? 6 or 7 games, but people expect him to come straight into a team that never had much bite around him, and protect a reserve back 4 to his usual standard?

l0l. how come other players get 1 or 2 games grace to get back to match fitness but seme should have come in and destroyed Austin?  lets be reyt it wasnt his greatest performance but there were many worse performances out there today than Semedo's!

Edited by GY-owl.4

People want semedo to go? Insane. Did no one see westwoods comment about us missing semedo when he was Injured? Our player of the season rates him, and realises he does a good job! We need him. We just need someone to play next to him.

Wickham rated Nuhiu 

some right bolloxs in here

elaborate

Too much sentiment in this thread. He has been an great player for us in the past few seasons and is a fans favourite but that is leading people to ignoring his obvious limitations which weren't so much of an issue in League 1/battling for relegation, but become more of an issue when attempting to push up towards the top of the Championship .

We need better now, thanks for everything Jose but there's not much room for sentiment in football anymore.